Homemade Flight Sim cockpits

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I've seen some impressive Flight Sim homemade cockpit setups, and this isn't at the top of the list, but it has a feature I've not seen before.

Check out the "attitude indicator" this guy constructed... it's to the right in the screen. Watch the video until the guy is in the air to see what I mean.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6300500589870594385&hl=en

If you know of other cool home-brew simulator setups, post them here. This is one of my favorites:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1040260573716894216

Geeze, that's a lot of time and has to cost a ton of money. I assume there's no "click the red X" for a shut down procedure? :)

It would be neat to have and fly at home, certainly for instrument skills. But, for all the money it has to cost that's a lot of actual flying.

Geeze, that's a lot of time and has to cost a ton of money. I assume there's no "click the red X" for a shut down procedure? :)

It would be neat to have and fly at home, certainly for instrument skills. But, for all the money it has to cost that's a lot of actual flying.

I agree; and with a setup like that (costly) you're only ever going to get to fly "one type" (737, 777, etc.).

i know of an engineer here at Rockwell that has a complete jet fighter setup in his basement. thousands and thousands worth of equipment (mostly RC boxes) that interface to a huge projection screen running MSFS. pretty wild what lengths some people go to to pretend to fly.

i know of an engineer here at Rockwell that has a complete jet fighter setup in his basement. thousands and thousands worth of equipment (mostly RC boxes) that interface to a huge projection screen running MSFS. pretty wild what lengths some people go to to pretend to fly.
When his basement floods, he can pretend the cooling water tower opened valves early on the shuttle launch. :)

...pretty wild what lengths some people go to to pretend to fly.

Very true, but at the same time, it could be that these are people that are not able to fly for some reason - medicals, criminal histories, whatever. If I weren't medically eligible to fly, I'd be considering the same thing.

Regardless, I think it's amazing what computers are able to do. Has anyone ever been in one of the "real" simulators? I had the opportunity to get in a 737-300 a few years ago, and it was amazing. Despite the fact that it was early 1980's computer technology, it was remarkable how real it was - to the point where I actually had to remind myself that it wasn't real.

I got mixed up with PC flight simulators when I was 5 or 6 (anyone remember "Aces Over the Pacific" - one of my favorites - or, even earlier, "Wings of Fury" for the Apple IIgs?), and to see what they've evolved to now is amazing.

I have no problem admitting that I first started learning about the characteristics of flight from those games. And, from a simple series of computer games (flight simulators, Oregon Trail, Gold Rush, etc.), I learned a great deal about history. So for all the nay-sayers about computer games, such games can be incredibly educational when designed correctly.

When his basement floods, he can pretend the cooling water tower opened valves early on the shuttle launch. :)

Or if he's playing a submarine game, he can pretend he just got depth-charged. Or, with an incredibly active imagination, he can pretend he just opened the sea valves to scuttle the boat to avoid capture!

Back