Homecoming "Party Limo" driver turns in drinking teens, parents upset AT HIM

Nick is a little bit naive about parenting, but I'll go out on a limb here and state that, when he is a parent, he will use his extensive knowledge of the "hows and whys" of teen-aged parent deception to make damned sure his kids don't do that stuff.

I think that they will not get away with squat.

Irony abounds, don't it?

Lets hope!

Nick, as a fellow "I'm not that far removed from HS"-er, I've got to disagree on some of your points.

There are lots of kids who don't drink and don't do drugs. The problem really is one of partitioning and perception. Both groups (drinkers/non-drinkers) tend to hang out with their respective group. While it might seem like most teenagers do engage in drinking and drugs, my experience is different. I didn't do any of that in HS and I knew plenty of people (or geeks, as some would say :D) that didn't drink or do drugs, either. Obviously, a lot of this changes in college, and in that environment, I'd be more inclined to agree with your assessment.

I don't understand why you think it was wrong for the driver to call the police though. Even at 16, most people are smart enough to at least avoid getting into legal trouble. If you're not, then it's an overdue life lesson, and I don't see why they should be spared that lesson....

Wait, wait, wait, no one's grasping the important point here:

The kids were responsible enough to not drive around getting hammered on Homecoming night, and instead, actually tried to respectfully hide the fact that they were drinking in the limo.

I don't believe anyone here is naieve enough to not know that kids drink on Homecoming night, and nothing anyone does is going to stop that, short of locking the kids inside, alone. The limo driver's a waste, he took a service that the kids were responsibly using, and turned it into a feared commodity for teens.

I know of a group of kids with a DWI in their future. Great job, Party Limo! What's next? Are Saferide or taxi drivers next?

edit: also - the parents, if they're decent parents, will punish the hell outta those kids for drinking....its the responsible thing to do. But you gotta ensure their safety at the same time you punish them for making dumb mistakes.

I'm sure the parents never drank as teenagers though. That's a new phenomenon.

Sorry...but this line of thinking has been a failure. The "oh they are gonna do it, so let us make sure they are safe doing" is crap.

They are NOT to drink underage, period. Will some? Yup...and those that get caught should be treated HARSHLY.

I am sick and tired of the "give in" mentality. Hell people are gonna steal, instead of trying to stop them, why not help them do it safely, after all you are NOT going to stop people from stealing.

It seems that boundaries are no longer acceptable and standards of behavior are taboo.

I am sick and tired of the "give in" mentality. Hell people are gonna steal, instead of trying to stop them, why not help them do it safely, after all you are NOT going to stop people from stealing.

It seems that boundaries are no longer acceptable and standards of behavior are taboo.

I concur. Once they realize there are no repercussions, then they will only do it more.

There has been a disturbing trend, largely among baby boomer parents to beocme friends with their kids instead of parents.

Bingo! We have a winner! Kids cannot become your friends until they are 28. Until then you are still raising them.

Sure, Brent. Your opinion is at least as valuable as SkyHog and DocMirror's. Jump in here. You don't need to ask permission.

As a 65-year-old mother of 4, grandmother of 10-1/2, great-grandmother of 2, I'd like to opine that the limo driver courageously did the right thing. The teens did the wrong thing. Some parents did the right thing. Some did not.

None of my kids are as perfect as doc's, but they are OK. I hit one of them one time and I hit another kid one other time, but otherwise, never hit a kid in my life. Corporal punishment simply causes kids to become resentful and untrusting of those who need their respect.

Actually, Nick has a point. As do each of you who are parents.

First, as I read it, the kids violated the contract. OK, so they should have been penalized as provided for in the contract. Teaches the lesson, and the kids then need to own up to the parents as to why they can't get home. I'd bet most of these parents would have a different view - and I'd bet that the limo company would not be taken to task if they left 'em in a parking lot somewhere.

Second, Nick's point is well taken: the kids could have done what so many others do - drink and drive. I'd much rather (as a citizen who shares the roads) have them riding in the limo (even in violation of the contract).

Third, the driver had no obligation to turn them in (unless he's a moonlighting LEO or the limo company requires him) to the police. Certainly he had the right to do so (unless otherwise stated in the contract). The question is whether he would take the same position with adult passengers that did something of which he didn't approve - 2 adults committing adultery, for example (that probably violates the contract, too, and may be a crime in some places) - or taking a woman to an abortion clinic from a jurisdiction where it is banned (let's say it's a 17 year old woman with or without her boyfriend).

Fourth, yes, the kids were violating the law. While I personally think the law on alcohol consumption should be loosened (allow kids to learn to drink responsibly without the sword hanging over their heads), the law is what it currently is. You work for change in other ways. As violations go, this one is pretty minor and mitigated by the act of responsibility (not drinking and driving), but it is still a violation of the law. Methinks that parents ought to be able to (and be allowed to have the personal judgement to) give their kids drinks without violating the law (but with them accepting responsibility for the outcome). That's the personal responsibility view/libertarian in me. You don't want your kids to drink, fine, that's your call as parent. Good luck forcing them to comply.

Finally, who amongst us has not sinned? Judge not lest ye be judged.

Finally, who amongst us has not sinned? Judge not lest ye be judged.

I just think people are overanalyzing the situation. The primary thought process for the driver was probably "I don't want to lose my job or go to jail." As was pointed out, the fact that he was the only one of age in the vehicle, it wouldn't take much to bust HIM for providing the alcohol to the minors.

Yes, some teenagers will drink, but that's not the point of this story. This story is about what do you do when teenagers are drinking and YOU could be the one liable for their actions. I'd like to think the self-preservation instinct in all of us would react the same way. "You're on your own kids." And that's exactly what the driver did in this instance. :dunno:

I just think people are overanalyzing the situation. The primary thought process for the driver was probably "I don't want to lose my job or go to jail." As was pointed out, the fact that he was the only one of age in the vehicle, it wouldn't take much to bust HIM for providing the alcohol to the minors.

Yes, some teenagers will drink, but that's not the point of this story. This story is about what do you do when teenagers are drinking and YOU could be the one liable for their actions. I'd like to think the self-preservation instinct in all of us would react the same way. "You're on your own kids." And that's exactly what the driver did in this instance. :dunno:

There's a difference between saying "you're on your own, kids" and "I'm calling the cops".

Leaving the kids on their own teaches a lesson and avoids penalty for the driver (and I agree he could have been busted himself, though not for providing the alcohol but for being an accessory). Calling the cops ratchets it to an entirely different level.

He didn't want to take responsibility - I have no problem with that - call the parents (let them come pick up the kids) or make the kids divest the booze. The former teachs the lesson pretty well and puts the responsibility where it belongs.

Since when did we become a country where the government and the police are everyone's nanny? Have we vested all aspects of personal responsibility to the government and the police (like we have to the public schools....)? What's next - a swat team if our lawn grows too high?

But he did call the parents and none responded and he did try to get the kids to not bring the booze on board and was given a ration of crap for it. The driver tried but was backed into a corner by the kids and parents (in ) action

"I know what my teens are up to" is not an assertion you want to make loudly, confidently, and defiantly. You don't. Really.

There are people whose responsibility is the parenting of teenagers; we call these people "parents". There are people whose responsibility is to drive you around and provide advice about how best to get a hooker; we call these people "limo drivers".

It's important to not get these two roles confused, otherwise you might end up asking your parents where to get a hooker, or expecting a limo driver to consider the various societal implications of reporting underage drinking, and whether it's better to call the police, the school, or the parents, and whether his actions might have the unintended consequence of encouraging drunk driving.
-harry

There's a difference between saying "you're on your own, kids" and "I'm calling the cops".

The difference is knowing that one of those actions results in the kids making it home safe eventually (when their parents come to the police station and pick them up). I think his liability is MUCH greater if he leaves them in a parking lot somewhere knowing they are drinking, underage, and having no idea how they are going to get home. If one of them gets a hair on his/her head hurt trying to get home after being dumped by the limo driver, he's really up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Obviously none of his choices were 100% insurance against getting sued, but personally I'd rather be sued for calling the police and having every kid alive the next morning, than getting sued for dumping them in a parking lot to fend for themselves and having even one not make it home safely.

The man did the right thing. He took the best action for all parties involved. They all made it home safely, he didn't go to jail for allowing a minor to drink (which he could have even had he taken them home, called a parent to come get them or dumped them in a parking lot) and even though he's facing a lawsuit, it's for keeping a bunch of spoiled brats alive and not for letting one stagger in front of a speeding car because they were left drinking, intoxicated and unsupervised.

Last edited:
The difference is knowing that one of those actions results in the kids making it home safe eventually (when their parents come to the police station and pick them up). I think his liability is MUCH greater if he leaves them in a parking lot somewhere knowing they are drinking, underage, and having no idea how they are going to get home. If one of them gets a hair on his/her head hurt trying to get home after being dumped by the limo driver, his really up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Obviously none of his choices were 100% insurance against getting sued, but personally I'd rather be sued for calling the police and having every kid alive the next morning, than getting sued for dumping them in a parking lot to fend for themselves and having even one not make it home safely.

The man did the right thing. He took the best action for all parties involved. They all made it home safely, he didn't go to jail for allowing a minor to drink (which he could have even had he taken them home, called a parent to come get them or dumped them in a parking lot) and even though he's facing a lawsuit, it's for keeping a bunch of spoiled brats alive and not for letting one stagger in front of a speeding car because they were left drinking, intoxicated and unsupervised.

^ What she said. :D

I just think people are overanalyzing the situation. The primary thought process for the driver was probably "I don't want to lose my job or go to jail." As was pointed out, the fact that he was the only one of age in the vehicle, it wouldn't take much to bust HIM for providing the alcohol to the minors...:
Here's an idea. I'll start the new "Anything goes" Party Limo service. The same $1500 a night.

One difference, at least two parents of different kids have to ride along. :goofy:

It ess OK, now? I just da driver.

I have a new found respect for you sir! :yes:

Doc, my apologies if you took that offensively - I was just kidding ;)

Methinks that parents ought to be able to (and be allowed to have the personal judgement to) give their kids drinks without violating the law (but with them accepting responsibility for the outcome).

Bill, as I understand it, in most states, those under 21 are legally allowed to drink in the presence of and with the permission of a legal guardian or religious leader.

Corporal punishment simply causes kids to become resentful and untrusting of those who need their respect.

I disagree. I think corporal punishment has a place in the early lives of kids, but it needs to be formal, structured, and dispassionate, not an angry response.

I've had to paddle my daughter a few times when she did something dangerously wrong. As she's gotten older, she's gotten a much better understanding of "they really mean it", and we can now have better discussions about why something isn't permitted.

For a teenager, I don't think corporal punishment is likely to be useful, it's too late by then. There are other forms of punishment. The armed services manage to re-mold young adults without needing to hit them.

Honestly, if the kids don't have respect (and to me that means they think of parents as "no better friend, no worse enemy") by the time they enter their teens, it's too late - the parents have already failed.

Leaving the kids on their own teaches a lesson and avoids penalty for the driver (and I agree he could have been busted himself, though not for providing the alcohol but for being an accessory). Calling the cops ratchets it to an entirely different level.

Trib headline, day after party:

Limo driver abandons teens on the side of the road on Homecoming night.

A.P. A group of teens out for the party of their young lives was put in serious peril late last night by a part-time driver for XYZ limousines. The kids were having great fun until the driver told them they had violated their contract, and he was leaving them in the Baptist parking lot. The teens, age ranging from 16-18 were without supervision and left to fend for themselves after the driver sped off into the night. Charges are being considered for the 37 year old driver...............

Sorry, he's an adult. The only adult around. The teens left him no options. they broke both the contract and the law. You don't get to choose your punishment in this country. Do I agree with the drinking age laws? Doesn't matter, it is what it is.

I was a teen in the 70's. Different world. If the local cop caught you drunk, they took you home. I had many a night "out on the town" and in retrospect, feel damned lucky no one ever got hurt.
When my son was a teen, I told him to call any time he was out and felt he couldn't drive. That didn't work. The 1 year license suspension for DUI, the 100 hour community service, and AA didn't help. After he got his license back, he was doing the same old things.
So it doesn't matter a wit if you know or don't. There's only so much influence a parent has. To some people there's only so much influence the law can apply. And some people DO grow out of it.
Being a parent is the worst damned job on the planet but one I was happy to have, and proud to be.
Here's to the driver for calling the cops. In his place, I'd have done the same thing. It's the only thing that kept HIM out of jail.

I was a teen in the 70's. Different world. If the local cop caught you drunk, they took you home. I had many a night "out on the town" and in retrospect, feel damned lucky no one ever got hurt.
When my son was a teen, I told him to call any time he was out and felt he couldn't drive. That didn't work. The 1 year license suspension for DUI, the 100 hour community service, and AA didn't help. After he got his license back, he was doing the same old things.
Here's to the driver for calling the cops. In his place, I'd have done the same thing. It's the only thing that kept HIM out of jail.

There's the other "It could happen to anyone. Everybody does it." deal. When everybody you know drove up to the bar, that's gonna look like normal.

There's the other "It could happen to anyone. Everybody does it." deal. When everybody you know drove up to the bar, that's gonna look like normal.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I condoned it. I, in fact, told him no but as I said, there's only so much influence a parent or the law has over their child. You then have got to cover yourself. First it is "CALL", apply the appropriate influence, then, after 18, you're free to invite them out the door.
He left shortly after his 18th birthday.
BTW: I didn't make his guest list for his wedding.

Well....
Honestly, I think you are probably the best one to say what kids are doing nowadays, I am almost 10 years removed from high school, and most of the parents are at least 2 decades out. But a lot of parents do not want to listen to the ones that would know, because they feel the youngsters have not earned the right to tell them what they have wrong. .
Sure, Brent. Your opinion is at least as valuable as SkyHog and DocMirror's. Jump in here. You don't need to ask permission.
OK then:) First off, to give you my point of view/perspective. I go to a school with a little under 4,000 kids, with multiple socio-economic backgrounds. 7 towns feed into my school, and we are in the South West suburbs of Chicago, the school in question is in the Northern suburbs of Chicago. Also, (for personal reasons) I don't drink. Period. Neither do any of my friends, (none of them have such reasons I have either) it is just something we don't do. However, I'll try not to let the above bias the following. As a current high school senior, my short answer is that "times are a changing." To start with homecoming....
I don't believe anyone here is naieve enough to not know that kids drink on Homecoming night, and nothing anyone does is going to stop that, short of locking the kids inside, alone.
Both are going to homecoming, neither will be drinking alcohol or smoking anything. I gar-on-tee it.
My schools homecoming is this weekend. We have two major dances per year, this being one of them. At every major dance, there is always 10-15 police officers with breathalizers along the very outside of the dance room. For the most part, they just stand there. However, if you are asked to submit for a breathalizer, and you refuse, you are treated as if you blew positive. Additionally, the occupants of any kind of chartered vehicle have to submit to a breathalizer before they can enter the dance. Ditto on the consequences for a positive result. The above is pretty much standard for the high schools in my area, i.e. from my view, the above is not an extreme take on things....
There are lots of kids who don't drink and don't do drugs. The problem really is one of partitioning and perception. Both groups (drinkers/non-drinkers) tend to hang out with their respective group.
Bingo. In my view, I see three groups of kids. Group 1 drinks all the time. From what I've seen/hear, that is generally on non school nights. Group 2 is the "smart kid group" that Nick mentions, and Group 3 would be kids like my friends and I.
There has been a disturbing trend, largely among baby boomer parents to become friends with their kids instead of parents. They are enablers of bad behavior because they want their kids to "like" them. They are deathly afraid of their kids not liking them for some reason. My parents didn't care if I liked them. If I got in trouble at school, I'd get punished twice. Once by the school and then I'd get it when I got home. Parents need to be parents not litter mates.
From my view, Group 1 falls in to the above 100%. Interestingly enough, from my view, the kids in Group 1 are the same kids that in middle school, started doing things that they shouldn't have been doing. And it is generally the same group of kids, i.e., it doesn't change. As to parties...
House parties happen when the parents are out of town. The way it should be.
We have had the following BEAT into our heads every year. Take a theroetically house party. Dad is in Japan, and Mom is in Mexico. (The point being that they are out of the country, and have NO idea about said party.) As it is a "house party" alcohol is involved. If anyone gets injured/hurt from the happenings at said party, (at least in the state of Illinois--however IIRC most states have adopted similar laws) the parents who are out of the country are held legally liable (Criminal and Civil).... Mike cited
Additionally if a teen was a party with alcohol, but was not/had not been drinking, they could be ticketed, and something else I don't recall. Scare tactics? Yep. From my view (I'm going to stop saying that now, everything I say is only from my view/opinion/perspective, NOTHING is pointed against anyone else here:) ) it works. Group 2.....
I have friends in college and had friends in high school who drink/drank and their parents don't suspect/would have *never* suspected a thing. All really, really good kids - involved in a lot of activities.
I was not a dumb kid, nor were most of the kids I partied with. In fact, most of the honor roll kids in my school were the ones that were doing the harder drugs, because they knew they could get away with it. ....but to honestly think that your kids tell you everything that's going on? I think you'd be surprised what you are not told
is the above. As Nick says, generally very smart kids, (honors/ Advanced Placement classes) who might have it be a "couple of times a month thing." While I can certainly understand (as I know a bunch of parents who correctly hold said belief:D)
I have two teens. Both are going to homecoming, neither will be drinking alcohol or smoking anything. I gar-on-tee it. ... If you think kids drinking at homecoming is a foregone conclusion, you've already lost. My kids have been brought up right, and will make decisions that they can live with and still retain their friendship with people that they respect and respect them.
I do believe that what Nick says about the above "smart kid" definitely holds merit.

Group 3....Other than having personal reasons like I do, most kids just have a sense it's just not the thing to do. Or if they don't have sense, they know that they can loose a lot from doing it. For example, my high school is very academically competitive, 97% of kids go to college. Having just filled out a bunch of college applications, I can say some of them asked about having some sort of record. If not that, then it's a sport, activity, something of value to lose...

Fortunately group 3 is fairly bigger than 2, and group 2 much bigger than 1.

Whew, that's it for that, my eyes are starting to cross from typing something that long, but just to touch on two other things that were mentioned. This is NOT directed at anyone personally AT ALL. As to the "product of the 70's thing..."
Something I've learned through school, and have asked some people I know who admit to being a "product of the 70s," and they said they didn't know that.....
The THC percent in "current day" Marajuanna is on average 17%-20%. Back in the 70s it was on average 1%-3%.

Additionally, as to the sex ed thing. While my school definitely pushed/favored abstinance, they fully explained the contraceptive side as well, going so far as to bring in different contraceptives to class and discuss about them. We also saw a power point slideshow that had images of every STD from a male and female perspective. And yes, parents had full control over how much/little they wanted their kid to participate in this unit.....

Once again, none of this was directed at anyone personally. For the sake of discussion, I tried to give my most honest perspective on this thread.

Whew, there you guys go. An inside look into a public high school from your resident high school POAer:)

Have a great evening, it is back to a Hamlet paper for me:vomit::D

PS--I do realize that there are some mechanical errors in this. It took my 90 minutes (my longest post on any board) to type this and I have to get away from a screen, so sorry about that...

Thank you Brent! your description of the cops at homecoming is scary, but for a school of 4,000 I guess it makes sense. My high school had 500, and there were less than 15 law officers in the whole county.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I condoned it. I, in fact, told him no but as I said, there's only so much influence a parent or the law has over their child. You then have got to cover yourself. First it is "CALL", apply the appropriate influence, then, after 18, you're free to invite them out the door.
He left shortly after his 18th birthday.
BTW: I didn't make his guest list for his wedding.

I didn't mean to imply you condoned it, just that they have their own "support" group to reinforce the view of the world.

Vis: The guys who get caught over and over for DUI who leave court where their licenese was revoked and get into the car...

I don't think too much of the "they are going to break the law anyway, if they do it responsibly, it is OK". I think it goes something like that. Over years, in Iowa anyway, we have had drinking ages ranging from 18 to 21. For one reason or another, it is 21 now, and has been for a long time. Drinking alcohol under 21 is against the law, whether you think it should be or not. To say that because kids have broken the law since kids were invented, it is OK to break it now, is not responsible. There are a number of laws that I don't like, or that I personally think are stupid, but they are laws. If your defense in court isnthat a law is stupid, therefore it should not be enforced, it is not going to work. Kids should be taught that the law is the law, and that if they do not agree with the law they should work to have it changed, not to just go out and break it. Finally, so that I can lay this argument to rest, the question as to whether I personally drank alcohol under age, the answer is yes I did. So do I infer that because I broke the law, it is OK for my kids to break the law too. The answer to that is, no I do not think it is OK. Just because I broke the law, I'm not going to say that it was OK, because other people were doing it too.

Last edited:
I like the group system - now that I think about it, I agree with it. With that said, when I was in high school (last year) I think there were two or three group 1s, and two or three group 3s...the rest fell into group two.

Now, it might be a different situation for me. I live(d) in NYC (I'm at college right now), and there were less than 100 people in my grade. Everybody knew everybody. 90% of people in group 2 smoked weed. I never have, never have wanted to, never will, and hope to never want to. But the kids that did were great kids. Really bright, smart kids.

As Nick says, generally very smart kids, (honors/ Advanced Placement classes) who might have it [hard drugs] be a "couple of times a month thing." While I can certainly understand (as I know a bunch of parents who correctly hold said belief)

I can honestly say this did not hold true at my school. It was the opposite. It's quite a story, actually: Nobody in our grade (it was like a community) knew or suspected that anybody did anything other than weed. It never even came across our minds. But at after prom, me and a few people caught two kids doing some VERY bad drugs in the bathroom, and we kicked them out of the party in *record* time. (One of the kids was a good friend of mine, so I literally grabbed him by the collar and asked him what the <insert choice word here> he was doing and threw him out the front door). Now, contrary to the above theory, both of these kids had never made the honor roll in their lives - smart kids, but didn't do their work. So, I wouldn't necessarily agree with what you said, Brent.

As I remember, when my son went to the prom as a Jr, about twelve of them planned on taking an Escalade that belonged to one girl's parent, and they all were going to pile in there and go to a restaurant before the dance. The parents all got together and decided that was not the best idea, so we all pitched in for a limo. When the limo came by the house to pick up my boy and his date, we went out and gave the driver a piece of paper with our mames and cell number on it, and told him to call us if there were any problems. We also told him that there was to be no drinking, and if there was we would come and pick the kids up. He told us that most of the other parents had given him the same instructions. I'm pretty sure that they did not drink alcohol in that limo, as we didn't get a call. It is all about parents being involved with their kid's activities. I asked my son one day if he thought that we were too strict with him when he was in high school, and he said that we were actually considered by some kids as being pretty liberal. I suggested that we were pretty hard on the drinking and that we always had to know where he was, and what he was doing. He said that we were great parents because we never "got on his case about what time he had to be in", and that was the big thing for him, not drinking or hiding out. Well, I guess that was just a lucky guess on out part, as we really didn't have any training for raising kids. I knew parents though who would set a time for their kids go be in, then yell at them and ground them if they were late. Those same parents would look the other way if the kids came home with alcohol on their breath, and say "what do you expect, they're kids". What a screwed up view.

Last edited:
Wait, you mean we really didn't come with instruction manuals?! Wow, my dad really was telling the truth!! ;)

When my kids were in high school, my wife and I would do things, like volunteer to work the post prom party, or work concession stands. I was on the parent advisory board for the principal. My daughter never said anything either way, but my son used to say that we were obnoxious and that it sucked having us around all the time, but he said that all of his friends thought that we were cool. That's the way it is with kids, everybody else's parents are cool. I never tried to be my kid's friend, I knew that no matter how hard it tried it wouldn't work, I always wanted to be their friend's friend. It still drives him crazy.

Have a great evening, it is back to a Hamlet paper for me:vomit::D

PS--I do realize that there are some mechanical errors in this. It took my 90 minutes (my longest post on any board) to type this and I have to get away from a screen, so sorry about that...

[FONT=sans-serif, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular]What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason!

You sound like my kids. :cheerswine:
[/FONT]

You guys are welcome:)

I like the group system

Now, it might be a different situation for me. I live(d) in NYC (I'm at college right now), and there were less than 100 people in my grade. Everybody knew everybody. 90% of people in group 2 smoked weed.

I can honestly say this did not hold true at my school. It was the opposite. It's quite a story, actually: Nobody in our grade (it was like a community) knew or suspected that anybody did anything other than weed. It never even came across our minds. But at after prom, me and a few people caught two kids doing some VERY bad drugs in the bathroom, and we kicked them out of the party in *record* time. (One of the kids was a good friend of mine, so I literally grabbed him by the collar and asked him what the <insert choice word here> he was doing and threw him out the front door). Now, contrary to the above theory, both of these kids had never made the honor roll in their lives - smart kids, but didn't do their work. So, I wouldn't necessarily agree with what you said, Brent.

As you say I like the "group system" too. At a school where "no one knows anybody," (i.e.1000 kids per class, with 2000 kids per campus) I think it creates less peer pressure, and you can separate the Seniors, from the Freshman. I haven't a clue as to the drug aspect, as I'm fairly naive in that area. (The only thing I've seen was as a Freshman, my gym teacher wondered why a kid he saw go into the locker room to change, didn't come back out for class,:rolleyes: he got arrested...)

In OKC over a couple of years, we've had 2 limo drivers make the news for violating the open container laws while having underage passengers. One in particular was carrying a group of high schoolers on prom night. I think the appearance of alchohol would have caused me to temorarily "loose" my keys until a parent was contacted. The attitude of the kid with the "mind your own business" attitude would have ended the ride as well.
(I can't help but thinking of this as a "pilot in command" exercise)

Back