Homebuilt / plans search engine?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'm trying to find a comprehensive online search engine for homebuilts.

Should be able to specify criteria (material type(s): composite, wood, fabric, steel tube, etc.), seating capacity, high-wing / low-wing, plans vs. kits, etc. and find matching candidates.

Does anybody know of such a thing? EAA has a "Selecting a Design" page for members, but it's just a list of links with no filtering ability.

I'm trying to find a comprehensive online search engine for homebuilts.

Should be able to specify criteria (material type(s): composite, wood, fabric, steel tube, etc.), seating capacity, high-wing / low-wing, plans vs. kits, etc. and find matching candidates.

Does anybody know of such a thing? EAA has a "Selecting a Design" page for members, but it's just a list of links with no filtering ability.

Wish I did. I want a little two-holer biplane that will come in under the LSA rules. I'll be watching your thread to see if anyone knows of such a search site. It's a jungle out there.:)

Wish I did. I want a little two-holer biplane that will come in under the LSA rules. I'll be watching your thread to see if anyone knows of such a search site. It's a jungle out there.:)

I think the Hatz Kelly-D would do it for you. I think this falls within LSA guidelines:

Span of the prototype is 26' 6" and the length is 19' 3". Empty weight is 1000 pounds and gross is 1500. Cruise with the 0-290 is 97 mph and the plane lands at about 55.

More info: http://www.weebeastie.com/hatzcb1/KellyDKorner.html

N24jffly.jpg

I belive Kitplanes may have what you are looking for. It does cost though. I get the magazine which I think includes the website stuff, but I have never used it.

Here is a screenshot of the search page.

Thanks Tim. Wow, that is an impressively powerful set of search criteria. I guess I need to renew my Kitplanes subscription!

Yes, but when you get your airworthiness certificate for your homebuilt, YOU specify what the maximum gross weight is.

The kitplanes aircraft directory is great. It told me about a lot of planes that I had never considered. Some of the companies listed are no longer in business and some of the prices may not be current, but it is still worth the few bucks for the yearly subscription.

There are a number of the Fisher Flying Products bipes out there that would qualify. Ragwing has several as well. You can find different ones out there for sale in various degrees of completion at barnstormers.com.

You can also go to the aircraft spruce website and look under plans/kits and see what they have! :)

Kitplanes magazine puts out a several issue buying guide that is also available on line - you have to pay to access it, but I would say it's one of the more complete listings.

Last edited:
There are a number of the Fisher Flying Products bipes out there that would qualify. Ragwing has several as well. You can find different ones out there for sale in various degrees of completion at barnstormers.com.

You can also go to the aircraft spruce website and look under plans/kits and see what they have! :)

Kitplanes magazine puts out a several issue buying guide that is also available on line - you have to pay to access it, but I would say it's one of the more complete listings.

Thanks, Tom. Appreciate it. I may have a problem, though. I had some pics of the Hatz CB1 on the screen today and asked Joyce if she thought she would be happy in one of those. I immediately got a lecture about how small (SMALL?) the 411 is. This may take some work. :confused:

uh oh... :eek:

hmmm.... ask her what she thinks about Ferraris! Then point out how small THEY are! :D

uh oh... :eek:

hmmm.... ask her what she thinks about Ferraris! Then point out how small THEY are! :D

I can hear her now, "...but they stay on the ground. The wind is going to blow that little plane all over..." and on it goes. SIGH. I actually had the temerity to consider a gyro plane for a while. Then I came to my senses and never mentioned it. Gonna have to figure out how to do a 'Texas Two-step' to get this one done. :fcross:

Back