Homebuilt makes emergency landing on golf course

wow - the prop fell off?? That's gotta screw up weight and balance!!

Makes you think about buying a homebuilt off ebay, doesn't it?

that happened to a pal flying a kitfox here about 8yrs ago. The engine was still running, all they knew was the airspeed was decaying, landed safely in a pasture. Crank shorn at the front main, hollow Rotax crank I think.

Yep, my home town (I live in Redford Township, which is maybe 20 square miles total, bordering Detroit). This was about 3 miles from home. Maybe I should check the back yard for the prop? :D Naw, couldn't glide that far.....

Interesting how the prop fell off but the spinner is still there. I would think that aircraft would have a one piece prop.

Nav8tor said:
Interesting how the prop fell off but the spinner is still there. I would think that aircraft would have a one piece prop.
My guess is that it was.... until it broke into two :eek: . I bet it'll be found soon anyway. The area with exception of the golf course is densely populated (also excepting a small river).

T Bone said:
My guess is that it was.... until it broke into two :eek: . I bet it'll be found soon anyway. The area with exception of the golf course is densely populated (also excepting a small river).

It's still surprising that both (all three?) blades would be gone.

Nav8tor said:

It's very lucky that both blades broke off. Having only one spinning would have shaken the plane to bits.

Senator Inhofe had the prop on a Grumman Tiger actually spin off the plane. He landed safely.

Read who was there at this hearing - one of own who should chime in. :rolleyes:
http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2000/gaaps/Transcript_1.htm
It's under Maintenance Related Accident on this long transcript. Do a Find in your browser.

Last edited:
Nav8tor said:

A lot of these planes have separate blades that fit into a two-piece machined aluminum hub. The carbon fiber blades' roots lay in the hub. If the bolts holding the hub tightly together get loose, it's entirely conceivable that all three blades would depart (centrifugal force) while the hub and spinner would remain attached.

See http://www.warpdriveprops.com/

mikea said:
It's very lucky that both blades broke off. Having only one spinning would have shaken the plane to bits.

Senator Inhofe had the prop on a Grumman Tiger actually spin off the plane. He landed safely.

Read who was there at this hearing - one of own who should chime in. :rolleyes:
http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2000/gaaps/Transcript_1.htm
It's under Maintenance Related Accident on this long transcript. Do a Find in your browser.

Actually, it's under:

Visual Flight Into IMC Accident
Wayne Pollack, Southwest Regional Office
National Transportation Safety Board

Cheers,

-Andrew

Let'sgoflying! said:
that happened to a pal flying a kitfox here about 8yrs ago. The engine was still running, all they knew was the airspeed was decaying, landed safely in a pasture. Crank shorn at the front main, hollow Rotax crank I think.

Seems like the RPM would build pretty fast once the prop departed.

Troy Whistman said:
A lot of these planes have separate blades that fit into a two-piece machined aluminum hub. The carbon fiber blades' roots lay in the hub. If the bolts holding the hub tightly together get loose, it's entirely conceivable that all three blades would depart (centrifugal force) while the hub and spinner would remain attached.

See http://www.warpdriveprops.com/

That makes sense. Thanks.

lancefisher said:

Or the engine would quit entirely since there is no flywheel effect to keep it turning between power cycles.

lancefisher said:

I will have to ask him again, I think there were some large fluctuations and then it died but I will find out.

NickDBrennan said:
wow - the prop fell off?? That's gotta screw up weight and balance!!

Makes you think about buying a homebuilt off ebay, doesn't it?

Happened with a Piper Cub too.

Makes you think about buying a certified factory built from a dealer, doesn't it ?

Nav8tor said:
Or the engine would quit entirely since there is no flywheel effect to keep it turning between power cycles.

According to the interview with the pilot in this case, the engine did quit almost immediately. And according to the (often wrong) news talking head, the prop was wood. Certainly could be inaccurate, don't know. I'll let you klnow if I find the prop :D

Dave Krall CFII said:

Makes you think about buying a certified factory built from a dealer, doesn't it ?

touche

Dave Krall CFII said:

At least the next of kin would have someone to sue.

Kind of like safety wire. It doesn't make anything safe, it just makes it easier for the NTSB to find all the parts after the accident.

larrysb said:

Kind of like safety wire. It doesn't make anything safe, it just makes it easier for the NTSB to find all the parts after the accident.

There's always someone to bring suit against isn't there ? This is still America !

larrysb said:

Really? I am profoundly curious about what causes you to make that comment about safety wire. This is your opportunity to educate me.

Richard said:
Really? I am profoundly curious about what causes you to make that comment about safety wire. This is your opportunity to educate me.

Me too.

Jim

Point of interest (or not.....). A friend just loaned me his June 2005 EAA Sport Aviation magazine.... page 95, what do I see? A Zenith CH701, from Harsens Island Michigan. It's the plane that threw the prop (a 3 blade I see now) and landed on my local golf course (seems a decent use for the land, I'm not a fan of chasing the little round buggar B) ).

And he didn't even yell "FORE!" Careless and reckless?

Back