Home Thread

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
I had a fantastic time at AirVenture. I stayed at the POA Compound with some great people who I now have good friendships with. Thanks everyone! After 3 full days, I had to leave and begin my trek home. Arrived home this evening, 2015 miles on the trip!

Now to get all those photos and videos downloaded!

I just got home as well. I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and had a great time at the Camp Scholler dinner!

The flight home...3h22 in a Lancair (I was the passenger), to the NYC area. There was a bit of weather today. Left IFR since you can't pick up a clearance in-flight within 100nm of OSH, per the NOTAM. Had an extensive in-person briefing with FSS at OSH, and we kept a close watch on the storms. We made it through the large band in central Michigan, but got our ass kicked by a small but very powerful cell north of Saginaw. I now have had a UUA pirep issued from the flight I was on:

MBS UUA /OV MBS360005/TM 1939/FL110/TP LNC2/TB SEV/RM LOST 1000FT ONE PERSON INJURED NO A/C DAMAGE

That was a hell of a jolt. We'd been in IMC for about 8 minutes with a decently smooth ride and were nearing the end of where ATC had told us Moderate precip. I distinctly recall my iPad floating up off of my lap, and my head smacking the canopy, dislodging my headset. With my headset dislodged, everything suddenly got much louder. I'd thought there had been a structural failure before I realized it was my headset. It was a bit disorienting! We made a quick descent down from 11,000 to 7,000 at the bases, and the pilot reported his passenger (me) was bleeding so evidently that was all noted on the PIREP.

Glad it wasn't more serious. That bump was definitely worth the fun that was Oshkosh 2012!

Ay2UIuuCMAAXICF.jpg:med

Ouch. I've done one head smack. CAVU too. ****ed me off. Haha.

We got home yesterday, but I posted the story in another thread. Just saw this one...

Rob, Glad to hear you got home safe. My wife wants to thank you for the use of your battery powered fan. I hope you can come out again next year....if the Boss says OK again.

We got home around 6:30PM. Time to do some laundry! We'll definitely be doing it again next year. I really hope Brad and DIz join us again!

We just got home today. We COULD have made it home yesterday, but instead we stopped in New Braunfels for a night in our favorite microbrewery/hotel, the Faust.

Man, that real bed felt good -- and no 6:30 Pratt & Whitney wake-up calls! :lol:

Then, we flew back the last 1.2 hours today. It's good to be home, but, wow, what a great AirVenture! Thanks to all for making our 30th Oshkosh memorable!

Here's what the North 40 looked like when we left on Sunday. We almost had the place to ourselves as we packed up "The Compound" for another year...

559273_416775878358312_677136625_n.jpg

We got home around 6:30PM. Time to do some laundry! We'll definitely be doing it again next year. I really hope Brad and DIz join us again!

Just keep that evil China and Steingar away! And don't force me to drink tequila like that! :lol:

Seriously, it was a great party. Thanks for having us!

We got home yesterday after spending the weekend (Fri - Sun) in Indianapolis to enjoy some racing. Our journey was 15.3 hours Monday through Monday.

I really hope Brad and Diz's friend is able to secure the POA camping compound again. : )

Just keep that evil China and Steingar away! And don't force me to drink tequila like that! :lol:

Mean man. I was off cooking chili with Leslie. Don't blame me for your inebriation.

If it makes you feel any better, China had to fly home right seat of the Cherokee with a 5 alarm hangover. He said to say hello.

Mean man. I was off cooking chili with Leslie. Don't blame me for your inebriation.

If it makes you feel any better, China had to fly home right seat of the Cherokee with a 5 alarm hangover. He said to say hello.

I could not have flown. Until noon I was praying for death. After noon, I was struggling to stay alive, and failing. I recovered right before the HOPS Party, mostly.

You are guilty by association, since you brought that evil man to the party. He just kept refilling my glass, and for some stupid reason I kept drinking it. I vaguely recall chugging a glass with him. Lunacy!

Tell him I said hi back. What a great time!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Back