Home study course?

garyb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
garyb
My daughter is just about to start training (part 61) so I was going to get her a training kit, but don't yet know much about Jeppsen, Gleim, ASA, or any others. If anyone could give some insight as to what they've used, liked, disliked it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Last edited:
I used the King Schools' Cessna Pilot Center Cleared for Takeoff course - it's what my school used. Despite the Kings' cheesiness, the information was presented in a good way that complemented the book very well. I really liked that after you watch each video segment, there is a little quiz that pops up, and if you get an answer wrong, it immediately replays just the section of the video that explains the thing you missed.

A lot of what you select depends on whether the school has a preferred home study course for their Part 61 program.

I will be the first to suggest the Gleim books. That's what I used and everyone that I know that has used them has done exceptionally well on the tests. They are pretty good on the price as well.

Jeppesen Guided Flight Discovery here. I went for the 141 kit (Even though my training was 61), since it came with a bit more, including a metal E6B.

http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/scstore/pop-up/jepp_private_pilot_kit_components.htm

http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/cg...09.html?L+scstore+czbm8701ff45b045+1193863319

Worked extremely well with my accelerated training, and I loved the way the book was laid out.

I'd also suggest a Forever Plotter from Sporty's. I made the mistake of leaving my student plotter from the jeppesen kit in my flight bag when I went out to lunch on one of my XCs... warped plotters don't work too well...

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?Product_ID=9533&DID=19

Good luck on your daughter's training!

Has anyone used the Sporty's DVD sets for either private or instrument?

I used the King CDs for my PPL and for my G1000 checkout. They are well written and informative, but I found the video quality to be mediocre at best. By contrast, I now have Sporty's Instrument course and the graphics are sharp and it is packed with features that King does not have.

Roger

I used the King CDs for my PPL and for my G1000 checkout. They are well written and informative, but I found the video quality to be mediocre at best. By contrast, I now have Sporty's Instrument course and the graphics are sharp and it is packed with features that King does not have.

Roger

I have the King DVD's and have to agree that the content is good, but the video needs to be updated and made consitent. It's distracting to see Martha change from a young 'un to middle aged to uh... more than middle aged - and back again - sometimes in the same section. She actually says "You bet your BIPPY" in one of the sections (You younger folks don't know where that comes from, but it's from a TV show from the SIXTIES). If John and Martha don't have the time or energy - they should hire some folks to re-film the on screen stuff and make it look fresh and contemporary...

Back