Home simulator rec's

Steve314

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
Hi,

Getting back into flying after a decade break for kids and life.

In the late 90's I had the "On Top" software with a desk mounted yoke, some pedals and an instrument panel for at home IFR training.

In the intervening years have better home simulators come out? Any specifics that folks could recommend?

I fully understand that I can't log the time on these, but enjoy setting up scenarios and the training it provides.

thanks,

microsoft flight simulator X and, to a degree, microsoft flight

another vote for microsoft flight simulator x...it allows for rudder pedals/whole saitek setup if you want...
I was impressed with the accuracy...during runup you can even see the RPM's drop with each mag/carb heat....plus the ability to download real world current weather is nice too..and lower system requirements over x-plane.

Hi,

Getting back into flying after a decade break for kids and life.

In the late 90's I had the "On Top" software with a desk mounted yoke, some pedals and an instrument panel for at home IFR training.

In the intervening years have better home simulators come out? Any specifics that folks could recommend?

I fully understand that I can't log the time on these, but enjoy setting up scenarios and the training it provides.

thanks,

To expand on the OP, do any of the SIMs have provisions for updates as revised instrument approach plates are published? How about updated to the data base used in any of the GPS/FMS simulations?

Hello,

I am not a pilot but have flown in planes since a child and am looking to start lessons soon. That said, I love flight sims so I thought I could give you some recommendations. I would definitely recommend Flight Sim X + Acceleration (the gold pack that's $29).

A key thing to know is that neither flight simulator has great planes out of the box but luckily third party groups have made some great planes, depending on what you're looking for. Also keep in mind physics at or beyond the flight envelope are hard to find even in otherwise great add-ons.

For small planes, look no further than Real Air Simulations:
http://www.realairsimulations.com/
- Their Scout is one of my favorite planes and does nice stall, slip and spin simulations. In fact, there was a video someone posted here not long ago of a pilot trying to turn around on takeoff after an engine failure and skidded into a spin. I tried this in FSX with the Scout and had a near duplication of the video: slow steep skidding turn, inner wing dipped, stalled and instantly pointed the plane directly at the ground and began to spin.
- Their Duke, piston and turbine are bother wonderful to fly, also.
- Their next plane will be a 172 which I am excited about to finally get a solid one.

Carenado makes some good planes, especially their recent aircraft, although don't expect the same envelope physics that you get with real air. But good for normal flying around and the planes are all beautiful and easy on the system:
http://www.carenado.com

Finally, if you're into airliners, PMDG has amazing system depth and the planes come with the actual POH in many cases. I've also used sites explaining how to operate the real planes to learn them (I love their MD11, JS41 and just recently the 737NG).

For scenery, if you're into low+slow, ORBX (fullterrain.com) is amazing.

You may also want to look at X Plane 10 as noted. It is much more modern and actively developed. However, it's pretty rough around the edges and doesn't have the product support yet that FSX has. That said, I foresee it getting there eventually. XP10 has a nice feel to the flying of the planes. That said, some of the physics is a bit crazy like just flying into any cloud will cause a little plane to be thrown around like crazy.

Even more so than FSX, XP10 really needs to have add ons to be appreciated -- the default planes are laughable, to put it kindly. The stock 172 has some pretty interesting behavior. However, Carenado has started releasing their planes for XP10 and they are quite nice. I have the Bonanza V35 and the Seneca II and both are very nice.

I think XP10 has issues dealing with stalling and other edge physics -- for example, it seems to feel a stalled plane will dive until it picks up speed then magically pull up since it has speed and go into a nose-up attitude until it bleeds off then stall and repeat. :dunno:

XP10 has a free demo to try at x-plane.com and FSX can be had for $29 from Amazon or wherever.

Either way, get some Saitek Cessna yoke and Throttles or CH Products (I prefer Saitek although it's not perfect). Definitely get the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, though. And keep in mind it can get expensive no matter what you do :)

If you have any more questions, I'd be free to answer!

To expand on the OP, do any of the SIMs have provisions for updates as revised instrument approach plates are published? How about updated to the data base used in any of the GPS/FMS simulations?

MSFS is a royal PITA to update the nav database unless you pay for add-on navigation software.

Hardware:
If you want a yoke (and don't want to spend a fortune), then the CH Products Yoke is considered the best.

Saitek makes the rest of the stuff you probably want. I have there peddles, trim wheel, and throttle quadrant.

None of this is really new however, and it will be on par with what you had in the past. What is new (and awesome), is trackerIR 5:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/

I have this as well, and it really adds to the experience. I am just starting out with my pilots license, so not yet sure what else I am going to want on the hardware front. There are lots of options for Nav Stacks, and Saitek has come out with very cool individual gauges.

http://www.saitekusa.com/uk/prod/fip.html

I plan to pick up that stuff, as I need to lean their features.

Software:

X Plane 10 is the newest thing, and looks the best. However it's less feature rich if you wish to venture into the after market world. Payware is the term used on Flight Sims, and there is is a lot of it for Flight Simulator 10 (FSX).

At $25 for FSX Gold edition from Amazon, there is no reason not to start out there, and see if it meets your needs. X Plane has a demo (as does FSX).

Flight looks nice, but is less full featured.

EDIT: This is a re-post. My first one is flagged to be looked at my a moderator. I suspect it's because I had links in it. I removed the links, and added a Google line where they were, so you can quickly find what I linked.

Hardware:
If you want a yoke (and don't want to spend a fortune), then the CH Products Yoke is considered the best.

Saitek makes the rest of the stuff you probably want. I have there peddles, trim wheel, and throttle quadrant.

None of this is really new however, and it will be on par with what you had in the past. What is new (and awesome), is trackerIR 5:

Google: trackir 5

I have this as well, and it really adds to the experience. I am just starting out with my pilots license, so not yet sure what else I am going to want on the hardware front. There are lots of options for Nav Stacks, and Saitek has come out with very cool individual gauges.

Google: Pro Flight Instrument Panel

I plan to pick up that stuff, when I need to lean their features.

Software:

X Plane 10 is the newest thing, and looks the best. However it's less feature rich if you wish to venture into the after market world. Payware is the term used on Flight Sims, and there is a lot of it for Flight Simulator 10 (FSX).

At $25 for FSX Gold edition from Amazon, there is no reason not to start out there, and see if it meets your needs. X Plane has a demo (as does FSX).

Flight looks nice, but is less full featured.

Last edited:
if you just want nice looking scenery - try aerofly FS - but that's about all it offers.

X-Plane 10, and then a Yoke, and Pedals, and a multi engine throttle setup, then 2 touch screens and SimAvio... Ok, perhaps I have a problem: http://www.chartbundle.com/sim

(On the other hand, I prefer it to the Redbird TD2 and Elite Desktop FAA approved ones I have access to.)

I could never get my Saitek rudder pedals to work right. I should try again.

Anyway, my setup is FSX, Saitek Yoke, Saitek Pedals, TrackIR 4, Saitek Instrument Panel, and 3 monitor surround vision.

I could never get my Saitek rudder pedals to work right. I should try again..

Make sure you install the drivers from there site. Without installing them, Windows will see the peddles, and you can even calibrate them, but they won't work right.

Make sure you install the drivers from there site. Without installing them, Windows will see the peddles, and you can even calibrate them, but they won't work right.

Thanks for the tip! I constantly have "differential braking" message with pedals connected. I will definitely give that a shot. Maybe NOW I can get a plane to spin lol.

Back