Home security cameras

I have this one that I just installed back on July. It's POE and super easy to install. My attic is wide open so I ran everything in the attic out to the eaves and it literally only took a few hours to do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NAXD1OX/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's okay but has its problems. Recording to the nvr works fine and does it's job. However I got it for the viewing on my phone and to get security alerts. Setting it up was a pain for that and still to this day I get hundreds of emails in a day because it sends out false triggers like it's going out of style. I have tried and tried to set up zones and mess with the sensitivity and threshold and it either will not work or is overly sensitive. I mean I like it dont get me wrong, it constantly records 24/7 and marks triggers but having 100's a day would make it tough if I really had to go back and look for something. The false triggers usually are happening at night when I would need it most.

But like others have said if I have to get up at night I will have a gun with me, though I've never had to do that...yet. I live out in the country and am one of 2 houses on the whole street and in my house we are only a few steps away from a gun in any room. So if your trying to come after my stuff if my Doberman doesnt stop you I'm sure my firepower will. But I'd rather never have to test any of it.

I'm still surprised the dude ran off. I mean if he rang the doorbell what was he expecting...i guess for nobody to be home? But that's pretty ballsy in a subdivision at 3am. Just recently around here that happened and when the home owner opened the door they rushed him and got inside. Stole some stuff but the homeowner is fine. Never open the door at those hours it's usually trouble!!

QFT ... I have policies from US Law Shield and USCCA ... as USCCA continues to improve, I'll probably let my US Law Shield lapse. NRA recently introduced a policy that, in my opinion, needs improvement, but is a good start.

Operator: 911. What is your emergency?

You: Operator, my name is <your name>. I'm at <street address>. I was attacked and feared for my life. There has been a shooting. Send an ambulance and the police. I'll be <your location at the address>. I'm <physical description> and I'm wearing <description of your clothing>.

Statement to the police is short and sweet

• Officer, this person attacked me and I feared for my life.
  • I will sign a complaint.
  • Here is the evidence (whatever tool the assailant used to attack you).
  • These are the witnesses (if there are any).
  • You will have my full cooperation within 24 hours after I meet with my attorney. Until then, I wish to assert my 5th Amendment right and remain silent.

We have had a rash of car breakin's in our neighborhood the last few months. Multiple neighbors got hit, but nothing on video. (neighbors are all adding video systems now). When the police finally got around to showing up and "investigating" they claimed that it was "just some kids and it's all fairly harmless and benign". I guess people having their car windows broken out and things stole is "harmless" now days.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, another car window broken, but this time they found the garage door opener and used it. Neighbor heard the door open and went downstairs (armed). The intruder was trying to enter the house. Doesn't sound like "kids" being harmless and benign to me.

Agree with the comments about privacy with cameras. Something I thought a lot about and sure I missed a few things. I came to the conclusion that nothing is actually secure, just what level of security do you want? For instance, if the camera isn't on a network or recordings backed up somewhere, then all the thief has to do is take the system when they break in. Now, would they have the ability to know that it isn't being backed up? Which leads to probably the biggest deterrent, just a having cameras visible (do they even need to be real?) As soon as it is connected, its vulnerable to varying degrees. I like being able to get alerts and check in real time on my phone which, unfortunately, lowers security. Our local sheriff told me that I could call them if I saw something on my cameras remotely and they would respond as if I was calling from my home, don't know if that is actually true as I haven't had the opportunity to test, thankfully. In the end, i chose something that allegedly gets overwritten every ten days, placed the cameras in positions that really don't provide a look at anything I would deem remotely personal or couldn't be viewed by someone anyway (i.e. outdoors) and is easy to maintain (otherwise I would eventually get annoyed and either just turn it off or replace with it something easy as I need more time to fly)

Btw, never talk to network security people if you want to feel secure. I was this close to selling everything I own and moving to a cabin at an undisclosed location, in an undisclosed region of an undisclosed country that may or may not be on this planet.

"I came to the conclusion that nothing is actually secure, just what level of security do you want?"

Right. Some of the setups described seem like they would be more expensive than the deductible on an insurance claim. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

I have 1080 wifi cameras that record to their own SD card, and are also recorded on a Synology running Surveillance station. Off the record, the Synology guys recommended Hikvision and Dahua cameras.
But more important, I have SkyLink motion sensors around the outside of the house. The Skylink is plugged into a timer so it is only active at night. 1 beep means someone is in the carport, 4 beeps means the West side of the house, etc. Yes, every so often, a coyote will trigger a "false" alarm, but better positioning of the sensors would fix that. I like the sensors, as they run for over 6 months on one 9v battery, and broadcast several hundred feet to the Skylink base.

Back