Home phone & network wiring

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I know I gotta Google more to find the hot setups in the home network/tech forums

Today I had a hangr buddy come by and we started rewiring my phone setup. The house had at least layers of of installs - Original 1960 not even twisted pair. Early Comcrap VOIP mashup and my business POTS line add.

We started working toward a home run with twisted pair, starting a new Cat 5e feed from the NID. We picked a corner of the laundry room for the wiring wall where I'll install power and mount some shelves. I wish I had a nice cabinet to put it all in. Maybe I'll check out some home salvage for some kitchen cabinets.

My plan which I had to talk my buddy into, is to use a 100 block for telco wired with jumpers vis: http://www.homephonewiring.com/blocks.html (bottom of the page) even though it occurred to me that only the feed will carry high speed data on DSL as far as the DSL modem. I guess the 110 (vs 66) block and as much cat 5 cable as practical would serve for future use.

I'm thinking I should (inspiration!) put in two surface mount or panel RJ-11 jacks for NID-> DSL and then DSL filter -> to all phones on the 110 block! (THAT'S what that guy is trying to explain!)

I'm going to run Cat 6 for Gigabit Ethernet everywhere with some rooms getting multiple feeds. I had bought a whole bunch of long Cat 6 cables from monoprice with the idea being I'd just leave them coming out off the walls and avoid the hassle of crimping plugs.

Now my buddy inspired me to use the too many modular jacks and plates I've picked up in moments of motivation over the years.

So I'm think I'll go so far as to put in a CAT 6 patch panel and run short Cat 6 jumpers to the switch(es): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380127545184

I'm going to have TWO networks: video and data. I'll have UVerse TV soon.

Question: I have Cat 5e Leviton modular jacks. Will using those cause me grief at 1000mb on CAT 6 cable?

I'd appreciate any advice and pictures of nice setups.

Question: I have Cat 5e Leviton modular jacks. Will using those cause me grief at 1000mb on CAT 6 cable?

I'm pretty certain the jacks you have will be fine on GigE, they probably just weren't tested for that speed.

I'm pretty certain the jacks you have will be fine on GigE, they probably just weren't tested for that speed.

Thanks. I figured that. It just occurred tome taht 1000mb uses 4 pairs whiel 100mb uses 2. My runs are short enough that as you say, even ones with the Cat 5e jacks should be able to do 1000mb just fine.

I ordered a handful of Cat 6 modular jacks. I counted and figured I have only 4 or so computers and devices that can do GigE at present. I'll run network runs with 100/Cat 5e jacks and 1000/Cat 6 jacks at the other ends where I can always just patch in more 1000mb ports as I need them.

why not pull fiber while you're at it?

Leslie and I thought about pulling fiber when we had the house built 11.5 years ago, then decided that it just wasn't worth the expense, given that we could do just about everything we could envision needing over the short (10-year) term over the Cat5 we had installed. So far we've been right. The expense and inflexibility of fiber just don't seem to make sense for the typical home.

:rofl: And do what with it? It's not like I own anything that has fiber ports.

Oh! Maybe put in a fiberchannel SAN infrastructure!

As it was I had to explain things like 110 blocks to my telco buddy. Splicing fiber ain't him.

BUT the AT&T fiber and Uverse DSLAM is on my property line. I'll have a 50 foot DSL loop.

Last edited:
The uVerse DSLAM for me is about 200 feet away. I am thinking of converting over later this summer. Right now I have DSL. Getting 1.5Mbps. I run cat 3 phone line from the NID to the modem and then cat 5 or 6 to the main computer, the VoIP server and the printer. I just upgraded the wireless port in the house to 802.11g as my new laptop supports that standard. For the first time I ran out of network capcity. I was trying to watch a high def video on the laptop while downloading music and it jsut could not be done. I was glad that my neighbor has never secured his cable modem's WiFi connection so I just 'borrowed' some of his unused capacity.

I'm 17,600 feet from Verizon's DSLAM. I used to have a DSL connection as a backup to Time-Warner cable, back when they couldn't seem to keep the network up for more than three or four days at a time around here. (They've since cleaned up their act and I have EVDO for backup, so I canceled the DSL as a cost-cutting move.)

At 17,600, I still managed to get a pretty dependable 1.5 MB/sec in good weather, but sometimes lost it during thunderstorms. I used a DSL/POTS splitter inches from the NIB, mounted the DSL modem as close as possible to the splitter and ran Cat-3 between the two, and ran Cat-5 between the modem and the router. That's how I hooked up every DSL installation I ever did (except for those that used dedicated DSL lines, a'la Speakeasy). This setup minimizes total capacitance by eliminating the need for filters, simplifies internal POTS wiring, and reduces the total distance between the DSL modem and the DSLAM (which does make a difference at longer distances or in very large buildings).

I used to do quite a few of these jobs for customers who already had DSL, marketing it as "DSL Optimization." It usually resulted in dramatic improvement in service quality, especially at greater distances from the DSLAM. It also simplifed the POTS side of things by eliminating the need for filters. But alas, DSL is becoming just a memory around here. Almost everyone has access to cable, and Verizon's pretty much phasing out DSL as they roll out FIOS.

Consequently, I haven't gotten a DSL optimization job in months, and doubt I will get any more. I don't even stock the splitters anymore; they're getting expensive and hard-to-find, anyway. (I think I have a used, but functional one in the storeroom, however, if anyone needs one. I retrieved it from a deadbeat who didn't pay his bill.)

-Rich

Attachments

• diagram.gif
    diagram.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Sweeeeeet.

You dunno the true comedy. As of now I still can't order Uverse.

I joked that I'd drill a hole in the crossbox and run a cable across my yard.

Turns out, the drop cable from my house already goes to it! (I saw it with my own eyes. As above, I just had a business line added.) There is only one gypsy cable in the box. Mine.

I can't order because the computer system can't ID the cable from the cross box to the F2 box that would feed my house. I don't have that additional several hundred feet of cable and punchdowns so I can't have service. :mad2:

I was just shut down on availability AGAIN, but they reopened the ticket. I have every confidence I'll get UVerse eventually.

The MAX speed is 18mbs!

Lance,

You had to volunteer.

You know where to find the specs for CMR and CMG cable types?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10234

Or forget it. Is there any reason I'd want either for a house?

Maybe it just solid vs. stranded and I can ask my telco buddy which he prefers.

My plan was, up til now, to run long patch cables. A bought a bunch of 25 and 50 footers but it looks like I don't have enough long lengths so I'll spring for a 1000 foot bulk box and give the leftovers to my buddy.

I'm wondering if an inspector would say the cable used in patch cords is not legal for running down walls and across the suspended ceiling in the basement.

I'm also thinking of getting a 50 foot length of Smurf tube (just found out what that is. ) from the patch cabinet to my office and maybe parts beyond.

I'm 17,600 feet from Verizon's DSLAM. I used to have a DSL connection as a backup to Time-Warner cable, back when they couldn't seem to keep the network up for more than three or four days at a time around here. (They've since cleaned up their act and I have EVDO for backup, so I canceled the DSL as a cost-cutting move.)

At 17,600, I still managed to get a pretty dependable 1.5 MB/sec in good weather, but sometimes lost it during thunderstorms. I used a DSL/POTS splitter inches from the NIB, mounted the DSL modem as close as possible to the splitter and ran Cat-3 between the two, and ran Cat-5 between the modem and the router. That's how I hooked up every DSL installation I ever did (except for those that used dedicated DSL lines, a'la Speakeasy). This setup minimizes total capacitance by eliminating the need for splitters, simplifies internal POTS wiring, and reduces the total distance between the DSL modem and the DSLAM (which does make a difference at longer distances or in very large buildings).

I used to do quite a few of these jobs for customers who already had DSL, marketing it as "DSL Optimization." It usually resulted in dramatic improvement in service quality, especially at greater distances from the DSLAM. It also simplifed the POTS side of things by eliminating the need for filters. But alas, DSL is becoming just a memory around here. Almost everyone has access to cable, and Verizon's pretty much phasing out DSL as they roll out FIOS.

Consequently, I haven't gotten a DSL optimization job in months, and doubt I will get any more. I don't even stock the splitters anymore; they're getting expensive and hard-to-find, anyway. (I think I have a used, but functional one in the storeroom, however, if anyone needs one. I retrieved it from a deadbeat who didn't pay his bill.)

-Rich

YEAH! I want a splitter! I was going to wire/Rj11 jack in one of the RJ11 splitters and put the whole house behind it.

What we did yesterday was run Cat 5e to from the NID right to my patch box. Today it's just all tried together with a splice. It'll be on a 110 block anon.

That'll all be moot when/if I get Uverse so I wasn't going to spring for a wire-in DSL splitter.

Thanks. I figured that. It just occurred tome taht 1000mb uses 4 pairs whiel 100mb uses 2. My runs are short enough that as you say, even ones with the Cat 5e jacks should be able to do 1000mb just fine.

I ordered a handful of Cat 6 modular jacks. I counted and figured I have only 4 or so computers and devices that can do GigE at present. I'll run network runs with 100/Cat 5e jacks and 1000/Cat 6 jacks at the other ends where I can always just patch in more 1000mb ports as I need them.
Cat5e is supported by 1000BASE-T. (IEEE 802.3ab)

Last edited:
I just checked, and I still have it in a box labeled "USED - FUNCTIONAL." It's a Siecor SPS-H70-SR1.

The words "First Floor" are magic-markered on the front from the original installation (the deadbeat who didn't pay), but it should still work on other floors. :p

PM your mailing address and you can have it for cost of shipping.

-Rich

YEAH! I want a splitter! I was going to wire/Rj11 jack in one of the RJ11 splitters and put the whole house behind it.

What we did yesterday was run Cat 5e to from the NID right to my patch box. Today it's just all tried together with a splice. It'll be on a 110 block anon.

That'll all be moot when/if I get Uverse so I wasn't going to spring for a wire-in DSL splitter.

Last edited:
Cat5e is supported by 1000BASE-T. (IEEE 802.3ab)

Gee, thanks Jesse.

Where were you before I spent another $30 buying Cat 6 jacks last night?

You da man! I'll hold off buying the bulk Cat 6 cable. (It occurred to me that it has to be solid for punchdown.)

Anybody who needs, I'll have a good supply of extra RJ45 modular jacks, coax connectors, and patch cables. I'll give them to my buddy after I keep a few spares.

I'm still thinking of visiting the outlet stores for a kitchen cabinet or two to hold the stuff.

Gee, thanks Jesse.

Where were you before I spent another $30 buying Cat 6 jacks last night?

You da man! I'll hold off buying the bulk Cat 6 cable. (It occurred to me that it has to be solid for punchdown.)

Anybody who needs, I'll have a good supply of extra RJ45 modular jacks, coax connectors, and patch cables. I'll give them to my buddy after I keep a few spares.

I'm still thinking of visiting the outlet stores for a kitchen cabinet or two to hold the stuff.

You'll need Cat6 for 10GBASE-T which is still rather "grey" right now. Likely you'll only get about 180 feet out of Cat6 at 10 gigabit. There will be a CAT6a specification that'll get the normal 300 some feet.

If anyone else needs a splitter, I think I have one as well, bought on eBay but never used.

---

Mike, you might try posting about your efforts to get AT&T to roll out UVerse for you in the AT&T Direct Forum at DSLReports.com ; I have had a few AT&T/SBC issues which got resolved most nearly instantly by using that resource.

I was having line noise and connection stability issues, and the phone drones told me I'd have to pay some silly amount of money (hundreds) to get the lines conditioned; one post at DSLReports, and a couple of days later, a skilled and knowledgeable tech (and no, I am not joking) shows up, installs new lines from pole to house, installs splitter (hence me never using mine) and a home-run for the DSL to the room where the DSL modem resided. No charge.

Just plain ol' cable modem service at my house, but I see 21Mbps some nights, and never less that 13-14 Mbps. Upload speeds usually run 2.3 to 2.5 Mbps. I'm a happy camper with that.

Just plain ol' cable modem service at my house, but I see 21Mbps some nights, and never less that 13-14 Mbps. Upload speeds usually run 2.3 to 2.5 Mbps. I'm a happy camper with that.

I visited my hangar neighbor across the lake.

In his backyard. "See that box? That's your Comcast connection." "I know." Then he shows me the speed test on his hinky network. (I was trying to tell him how to straighten it out.) 36mbps. :yikes: Outta be a law.

Last edited:
On my Time-Warner cable connection (tested a few minutes ago):

15.38 Mb/sec down
0.49 Mb/sec up

That's downstream of the VOIP adapter, by the way (I'm running three VOIP lines over the connection, only one of which was in use during the test).

When FIOS moved into town, my speeds on TW suddenly shot up. I think they uncapped the modems.

-Rich

Attachments

• speedtest.jpg
    speedtest.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back