Home made stuff for your airplane ...

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
Who all has hand made (home made) stuff for your plane?

Finding an old original Cessna gust lock is like finding the Holy Grail, so I made one out of a split ring pin and a flag.

The velcro on the old 496 over the yoke assembly is another of my brainiac moments. I just stick my phone or ipad to it and go. Get the industrial strength wide Velcro. That stuff is amazing! :)

There must be a case of Nuvite in your hangar somewhere....

Just spliced up some fancy lines, some with carabiners on them, all ends back spliced, aside from that not all that much.

Chunk of line with an eye splice in each end for a "tow bar".

Chocks with a line long enough to pull into the cockpit (handy for hand propping).

New seat bottom / cushion.

New fuel lines from the tank to the gascolator

Cabin heat system in progress - Air inlet installed on the cowl, heat muff and control valve in progress.

Camera mounts (but I'm not happy with those - need to re-think).

Battery mount on the firewall, new wiring.

Avionics rack.

Does modifying the passenger side control stick with a sawzall and oxy/acetylene torch to make it removable count?

Epoxy and JBweld anyone?

Epoxy, duct tape, and "craft supplies".

I couldn't afford the vortex generators with the STC so I just Bedazzled my leading edges. My stall speed reduced a little but ramp appeal.....well now, let's just say the mile high club is alive and well. Thank you Hobby Lobby! :yes:

My whole airplane is essentially Home Made.... EXP AB.
Schreder HP16T

I could get so into building my own airplane, but time and money and life in general kinda sux for that at the moment. :sad:

I can't think of many more satisfying feelings of accomplishment than building your own airplane.

I could get so into building my own airplane, but time and money and life in general kinda sux for that at the moment. :sad:

I can't think of many more satisfying feelings of accomplishment than building your own airplane.

I would love to build a Cozy Mk IV. Fortunately I have enough sense to realize it would be next to impossible to complete due to work and family demands. That is why I fly a spam can instead. I'm certainly not complaining though. I am so grateful for the airplane I do have. Plus, ultimately when it comes down to it, I would rather spend what little free time I have actually flying instead of building.

Last edited:

Landing it might be more satisfying. Then again, all you need to do is add a BRS and that even becomes an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floorboards for me. Parts of my current ones are 68 years old.

Yup.... Almost better then sex....... ALMOST....;)

Yup.... Almost better then sex....... ALMOST....;)

Never thought I'd say this, but once you reach a certain age, a lot of things are almost better ... ;)

I would probably burn out building a plane. I'm just young enough to be one of those "I want it now" people.

I thank my lucky starts every flight. When I'm flying my certified money pit I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

you build an airplane because you want to build one. if you start to build one because you want that type of aircraft, most likely it will never get done.

bob

you build an airplane because you want to build one. if you start to build one because you want that type of aircraft, most likely it will never get done.

bob

That's a good way to put it.

You build for the accomplishment, not for the latest wizbang. I get it.

If you're building a Lancair Evo for example thinking you will have the latest greatest tech for instance, you could be wrong by the time it's done. Although, I think if I just won that last lottery, an EVO would be high on my list ... :lol:

That's a good way to put it.

You build for the accomplishment, not for the latest wizbang. I get it.

If you're building a Lancair Evo for example thinking you will have the latest greatest tech for instance, you could be wrong by the time it's done. Although, I think if I just won that last lottery, an EVO would be high on my list ... :lol:

The EVO is probably the best homebuilt to work with.... You can pay BIG money and attend the "factory builders assist" class..... I Believe most flying Evo's were born that way...

You need to have a design! I absolutely love the Armin Wing design concept.:yes:

Back when I was flying my plane back and forth to work, the local shoe repair shop and I built a cargo net for the back of the 182. The rear seat was always out and the net attached to all the same points that the seat bolted down to...plus a few more that cessna had provided in the floor back there.

It was buit out of 1" wide tie-down strap material. Worked like a champ.

Back