Home-made Cheap Speaker Stands

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
So, I bought a TV a few weeks ago after not having owned one for many years. It's a 32" LED TV that was (of course) on sale for about $150.00. It works fine, at least by my standards.

Then I decided to dust off and install my old home Yamaha home theater system. I had been using a set of computer speakers that actually sounded pretty good on the old setup (streaming into a wide-screen computer monitor); but since I was in the basement drilling holes and running cable for the TV anyway, I figured I'd drill more a few more holes and run a few more cables and set up the home theater system. A few hours, holes, and cables later, I had surround sound. Woo-hoo!

But I was lacking one thing: I had no speaker stands. The speakers were just sitting on the floor, which actually does affect the sound. So I experimented with different placements and heights, using empty boxes as temporary stands, to find the sound I liked. I decided that I liked about 36 inches high on the front and about 15" high on the rear. Why? Because I was too lazy to snake the wires through the walls that's how it sounded best to me.

The next problem was finding speaker stands that matched my furniture. Most of it is flat black, except for a few highlight pieces that are gloss black. It's all very cheap simple and was purchased from Craigslist sellers and garage sales antique vendors all over the Northeast.

I searched local garage sales and Salvation Army stores fine furniture vendors far and wide for just the right stands, but I couldn't find any that were cheap enough for a tightwad like me matched my decor. So I decided to take advantage of the sunny, unseasonably warm weather -- well-suited for spray-painting outside -- to build custom speaker stands. Total cost: $22.00 ($17.00 for the lumber and $5.00 for a can of flat black spray paint).

CVZi5CUW4AALM5j.jpg

CVaMCmhXAAQd1kW.jpg

CVfWqnvWcAAl3GR.jpg

Personally, I think they turned out pretty well. I like the simple look.

Rich

Last edited:
Reminds me of that ZZ Top song....cheap speakers. :yes::yes::yes:

Much nicer than the cinder blocks and piece of scrap plywood we had in college.

Much nicer than the cinder blocks and piece of scrap plywood we had in college.

Cinder blocks are much cooler....and give you better protection against the jihad in America .;)

Form plus function....

But I like the creation Rich made. Kudos Rich....nice job.

I 1000% get the therapeutic value of building something...

But Monoprice is your friend.

:yes: Great minds think alike. That's EXACTLY who I thought of when I read his post. Monoprice is my second greatest internet discovery of the past 10 years.

Rich is a man's man though, so the personal pride from building was probably worth the $12 overage to him. :D

:yes: Great minds think alike. That's EXACTLY who I thought of when I read his post. Monoprice is my second greatest internet discovery of the past 10 years.

Rich is a man's man though, so the personal pride from building was probably worth the $12 overage to him. :D

Well, actually it was kind of a wash because I made four.

Rich

Back