Home Depot Aviation Department

Ummmm..... That 'spar' was kind of scary. Is he related to the guy in Kenya building a home built?

-VanDy

Wow, I hope that was a joke. Maybe it's gonna be a big pedal-plane.

I don't have any problem experimenting, but that is wrong on so many levels. I'll guess we'll see how she turns out.

Holy crap look at the fasterners, PVC piping and plywood......that thing must weigh a TON!

I told Orville and I told Wilbur....dang thing will never leave the ground....

Some stiff competition for Lowes Aerospace, it's a jungle out there.

Lowe's appears to have an aviation department. There headquarters building even now has an AWOS (handy as it's pretty close to my strip) and 2 private GPS approaches. Their airplanes are over at SVH.

Holy crap look at the fasterners, PVC piping and plywood......that thing must weigh a TON!

Naww its not heavy, look at all the "lightning holes" he drilled in the spar!! :yikes:

Nothing new, Jesse and I have had this idea for years. But we were going to do Lowes.

Nothing new, Jesse and I have had this idea for years. But we were going to do Lowes.

Menards is cheaper.

Lets see, ribs too thick, spar with no method to prevent twisting, no meaningful method of assembly...

The pitot tube looks passable however.:lol:

"This is the joystick gimbal" hahahahaha - LMAO

Naww its not heavy, look at all the "lightning holes" he drilled in the spar!! :yikes:
Dang, I didn't notice that the first time....he really did drill the holes through the spar itself! But it's okay...once he puts all those aluminum stringers and the plates the whole thing with aluminum sheets on top that wing will be strong... and never leave the ground.

Dang, I didn't notice that the first time....he really did drill the holes through the spar itself! But it's okay...once he puts all those aluminum stringers and the plates the whole thing with aluminum sheets on top that wing will be strong... and never leave the ground.
Can you get aluminum sheets at home depot? Maybe he can do the first drywall wings?

Dang, I didn't notice that the first time....he really did drill the holes through the spar itself!

Not that his is ever gonna work but it doesn't "look" that much different from an RV10 spar.

tail_43.jpg

I wonder what his wife and neighbors think of his project?

WARNING: Watching this video may induce a severe case of Tourette syndrome..

Last edited:
How does this guy have 207,221 views and 74 subscribers?
And who is the girl in his other video that is obviously taking flying lessons?
Is he the instructor in the video?

Last edited:
How does this guy have 207,221 views and 74 subscribers?
And who is the girl in his other video that is obviously taking flying lessons?
Is he the instructor in the video?

I can see the 207,221 views..:yes:..

The 74 subscribers..:hairraise::yikes::eek:...........
My guess is the ol' saying " the blind leading the blind" :(..

My guess is the ol' saying " the blind leading the blind" :(..
The video is pretty old. My guess is it is people who wanted to see the project progress, and not anticipating a positive result.

Put a blown big block Chevy on it and it'll fly. :rofl:

That certainly is not a main spar for the RV-10. What is it? :dunno:

That is the horizontal stab. My point was that despite all of the ghastly things we noted on the Home Depot Homebuilt those big holes cut in the "spars" aren't necessarily one of them. For instance here's a picture of a stack of Maule spars at the factory.

Dave%20and%20Wing%20Spars%20Half%20Size.jpg

My point was that despite all of the ghastly things we noted on the Home Depot Homebuilt those big holes cut in the "spars" aren't necessarily one of them.
When you are cutting them into plywood they sure as hell are!

When you are cutting them into plywood they sure as hell are!

:rofl:

One of the most common things we see in the home building world is the use of materials in the wrong application. Plywood spars would be right up there. Best to stick with the plans and materials the kit manufacturer suggests. ;)

You gotta give the dude some credit though. He built a working model! Kinda! :rofl:

Gotta be a joke. He even laughs at the end (5:53)

That is the horizontal stab. My point was that despite all of the ghastly things we noted on the Home Depot Homebuilt those big holes cut in the "spars" aren't necessarily one of them. For instance here's a picture of a stack of Maule spars at the factory.

If you note, those Maule spars are metal I-beams. Much, much stronger than a piece of plywood, and so I'd believe the lightening holes would make sense. One could potentially even engineer a wood I-beam that would have significantly improved strength. One friend of mine was able to use these in his house to prevent having to use an extra column in the middle of his garage.

But the way this guy did it doesn't pass the engineering test.

Back