Home Alarm Hardware/Companies

Reading and understanding facts isn't your forte, is it?

Really? From Blackstone, Buck, and Hakim (2005)

And that data is readily confirmed elsewhere.

You might want to do a bit of research before shooting off your mouth, Nate. The old saying "God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason" comes to mind.

Don't know who Blackstone and buddies are, but I suspect they get paid by the word to help some politicians request money.

I listen to real dispatch channels and see how they handle real calls.

That number you gave, gives zero data on how fast they respond, or if they did it as filler between real calls. Because that's what the largest jurisdictions do around here at night. Ignore them until someone is free.

Claiming there's millions and millions of filler drive-by looks at the same building that alarmed last night, and two nights before that, etc... Is fairly meaningless data.

Let's see the CAD notes on those calls and the time to dispatch numbers and see if there was even a tiny effort made if there were three MVAs and an assault going on at the same time in the District/jurisdiction in a big city.

Comparing some think-tank's white paper to what's really happening, is about as smart as listening to a non-technical IT manager listing off a company's technical accolades for a TV show.
The sysadmin who wasn't interviewed knows they're still running Windows NT in the server room. Haha.

Listening to a think tank say the public needs to "do something" about all the false alarms that are eating up precious PD resources, just means the think tank figured out how to make their consulting fee, plus some, if the masses believe it.

A motion sensor going off of an alarm system falls somewhere near "there's a kitten in a tree" call to dispatch. Lots more life-safety stuff will be done first before that call will ever air on a busy night.

Around here, DPD is the most fun to listen to. They have to say hints like, "this call has been waiting two hours" to even get a car to roll past on a busy warm weather night.

The fiscal effect of false alarms is overblown. They're way down the list of priority.

As far as paying the fee to have a system certified, did the local PD publish any numbers showing decreased response time once they had the $$$ in their pocket? Did the money even make it to the PD's pocket?

I seriously doubt it.

By the way, the latest game is to encrypt the dispatch channels 24/7. Makes it a lot harder for anyone to listen and see if the official story is accurate or catch trends.

It's not about officer safety. They've had encrypted / obfuscated tactical channels for a couple of decades.

You know Nate. I used to work for a little company. You might have heard of it. FedEx. I was the director of properties.

Under my umbrella of responsibililty was the construction and Mx of over a billion dollars (book value) of real estate. This included the installation, maintenance and monitoring of the security systems.

And you listen to real dispatches on a police scanner in Podunk CO.

I won't go into all of the details but suffice it to say that you're out of your league on this one.

As Levy would say...

Bye now.

Last edited:
You know Nate. I used to work for a little company. You might have heard of it. FedEx. I was the director of properties.

Under my umbrella of responsibililty was the construction and Mx of over a billion dollars (book value) of real estate. This included the installation, maintenance and monitoring of the security systems.

And you listen to real dispatches on a police scanner in Podunk CO.

I won't go into all of the details but suffice it to say that you're out of your league on this one.

As Levy would say...

Bye now.

Nice Tim. Did you notice which jurisdictions I both worked in and listen to? No. It isn't Podunk.

You don't think just perhaps comparing commercial property alarms to home alarms might be slightly different? The thread is about home alarms.

I think your statement might best be rephrased, "I bring my vast experience in a different world than the thread is about..."

You install a lot of ADT crap $100 wireless systems at critical FedEx facilities?

Plus wasn't your contention that all these terrible little junk alarms with false alarms were eating police departments alive or some other such silliness? That's what I was discussing.

It's a money making scheme to pay a fee to have a monitored residential alarm. I'm sure FedEx can afford it. If it's a serious problem and costing too much, FedEx can afford armed guards too.

You quoted some think tank tasked with finding more money for government, and logically that somehow applies to the commercial alarm systems on your business facilities? No.

What's the relationship to the topic we were discussing? (Other than that you wanted to change the topic?)

Here is a local policy: http://www.lakewood.org/Police/Police_Services/Alarm_Response.aspx

Basically they don't respond unless the alarm is verified...

Sounds like Lakewood...

For those not here let's just set the stage and say "formerly one of the richest and not aging well suburbs, that still thinks pretty highly of itself", and leave it at that. That'll cover it for folks from out of town here on PoA.

LPD has always done things to maximize revenue. Been that way since I was a kid growing up there.

Back