Holy Smokes That Was FUN!!!!

Bones

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bones
I did something tonight I haven't gotten to do much of over the last few years. Its funny how roles reverse with time and when you come back to your roots how it can put the biggest smile on your face and remind you of the passion that got you started in aviation.

I flew a 172 tonight! What a blast! The airplane had just come out of maintence and belongs to a relative of mine. I went up with his flight instructor to do the maintaince test flight. Flew from the left seat which I've haven't done much of in a 172...most of my 172 time was teaching from the right seat.

It was a short flight only .8 on the hobbs and most of the time was spent orbiting the field and writing down power settings and doing the check. But it is one of those nights that is crystal clear and as smooth as marble...you know those nights...where you can feel the air caress the aircraft.

I did one normal approach and tried my best to get the aircraft to fly at 65kts....some how I became happy with 75-80...as 65 anymore just seems soooo slow. Sqweeked it on...what a pleasure that is. I admit I overcontroled on my rudder a bit but it was just great. My next approach I decided to give myself a Sim-Engine Failure at the numbers. I wasn't expecting much since it has been over 3 years since I have performed one of these. Needless to say some things come back to you faster than you expect; although still with a rusty coating....again, a smile was forged into my face like it was made of stone!!!! What a freaking blast!

It can be sooooo easy to become desensitised to your passion. It was great to fly for "myself" again. It really is a privelage to do it for yourself.

I hope you all enjoy your flying....small aircraft flight really is like none other...in many ways I'm envious of those that get to fly their own aircraft...enjoy that passion, adventure, and unique skill!

Now I have to figure out how to get current in that thing! :):D

Sounds like you had a lot of fun being a slow guy again. haha

Sounds Good Bones, glad you got the chance to fly for yourself.i know i love it. Dave G.

Back