Holy **** I love this plane!!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
i make fairly routine drives from Castle Rock, CO to Albuquerque. Takes me 7.5 hrs plus bio stops.

Just drove to my hangar (35 mins) and then flew down and did it in 1:36.

That is why I fly. Holy smokes. I just wish I had done thing before my dad passed because I would have seen him a TON more over the last 2 years of his life.

What plane?!? I don’t see any pics....

You drive far too slowly! ;)

(I used to regularly run from Denver to Albuquerque and usually made it in under 6 hours)

Stops? What are those? :)

Regardless, flying sure is a helluva lot more enjoyable.

You drive far too slowly! ;)

(I used to regularly run from Denver to Albuquerque and usually made it in under 6 hours)

Stops? What are those? :)

Regardless, flying sure is a helluva lot more enjoyable.
Holy cow. It took me over 6 from Monument with no stops. And that’s driving between 80 and 100.

You must be a freaking speed demon

Nice looking Comanche. I freakin love my Comanche (260B) as well. Great planes and awesome bang for the buck! I too lost my father before I had gotten my PPC. Wish I hadn't waited. I can still hear him in my head on some of my landings....;)

What a beauty! I had a 250 with 2 other guys back in the early 80's, a 1959. All was good until drug dealers stole it, used it for a load and burned it in the desert...welcome to Arizona.

fwiw, a pa24 vs 235 over 300NM the difference is only 15 minutes.

Okay folks. Hands up everyone who is actually fortunate to fly no wind.
My statistics teacher lied to me when he said I would have headwinds 50% of the time, and compensating tailwinds the rest of the time. What a crock.more like 80/20. :p
I vote for the Comanche. :cool:

...I just wish I had done thing before my dad passed because I would have seen him a TON more over the last 2 years of his life....

Unfortunately, I know exactly how you feel....

Okay folks. Hands up everyone who is actually fortunate to fly no wind.
My statistics teacher lied to me when he said I would have headwinds 50% of the time, and compensating tailwinds the rest of the time. What a crock.more like 80/20. :p
I vote for the Comanche. :cool:

I read an article once that stated an aircraft faced headwinds greater than 80% of the time.

It’s a Piper Comanche 250. I bought into a club with a handful of owners a few months ago.
View attachment 58850

Nice plane. What kind of TAS does it get at altitude? I'm contemplating buying into a '66 260 that the seller says does 160 KTS @ 11-12 GPH, and 165 @ 13 GPH. Nicely equipped but pilot's side instruments not in standard position because the panel hasn't been updated.

Nice plane. What kind of TAS does it get at altitude? I'm contemplating buying into a '66 260 that the seller says does 160 KTS @ 11-12 GPH, and 165 @ 13 GPH. Nicely equipped but pilot's side instruments not in standard position because the panel hasn't been updated.
I haven’t really calculated TAS, but today I got about 150 indicated at 10,500 and about 145 at 12,500. My totalizer reported 12gph at both. I would take a swag that is probably close to 160 or 166 TAS. I usually focus on IAS and ground speed, but on my return on Monday I’ll figure out the TAS.

We still have the shotgun panel in it, but I actually kind of prefer it that way since I don’t fly IFR anyway.

The 250 Comanche I usually fly trues between 155-160 kts around 7,000 feet, at about 14 gph.

Yep, love mine too. Turns 7 hrs of driving to the in-laws into 2 hours of flying. Mine gets 166 kts @7000 @12.5 gph, but it's got all the LoPo mods.20170820_175946.jpg

My in laws live in Pinehurst NC, it’s a 6 1/2 hour drive for them to visit. I flew up on Tuesday and picked them up so they could celebrate Christmas with their 3 daughters, spouses and grand kids. I took them home yesterday and flew directly to Destin with my wife and our dogs. They said they felt like royalty! Things like this are the reason that I fly!

7000 feet is about 300 feet above my house.

I'll wave at ya as you go by...

Comanches are sweet ships, poor man’s Bonanza. Cavernous interiors, you can schlep a lot of stuff. I’ve read that Piper lost Money on every one they made, and when the Lock Haven plant was flooded they used it as an excuse to pull the plug.

I've got probably around 10 hours of Comanche 180 time and have flown in Ed's 250. The 180 did ok, but as most of the consumers figured out, the 250/260 were really the sweet spot. Plenty of power, good speed, and not much more fuel for that. A good aircraft, and often overlooked.

Back