Holiday trips

parents had a short drive yesterday thanks to freezing rain in illinois, and a long 12 hr leg today, but they were at the pool when the called.

kauskpnf leg

dave, is that the phone number for Pizza Hut on the left side?

Took two pics of the setting sun Tuesday evening on the leg from Winter Haven FL to Greenville SC. These would have been at FL180 somewhere east of Hotlanta.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Flight to Greenville 23rd01.jpg
    Flight to Greenville 23rd01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Flight to Greenville 23rd  02.jpg
    Flight to Greenville 23rd 02.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
There've been a couple times when I launched into cold air aloft after the plane sat outside in a hard rain resulting in the elevator trim freezing up. Like Kent said, if you must use water to melt ice on the plane, do it with hot, wet towels so the water doesn't get inside things and freeze.
Ignoring any paint issues, could you de-ice with hot 100LL? I hear it's got a low freezing point ;)

No flying for me, sadly. At least the rains stopped for today!

-Felix

There've been a couple times when I launched into cold air aloft after the plane sat outside in a hard rain resulting in the elevator trim freezing up.
I've had the throttle cable freeze up in cruise after the airplane sat all night in the rain. At least that's what we decided it must've been, since ice doesn't leave any evidence after it has melted.

Ignoring any paint issues, could you de-ice with hot 100LL? I hear it's got a low freezing point ;)

No flying for me, sadly. At least the rains stopped for today!

-Felix

It would likely remove the ice if you ignited it.

No flying for me. We got out of Pennsylvania just ahead of the freezing rain/snow last week, and drove to meet family at Cape Canaveral, Florida. We're enjoying temps in the 70s and 80s, walks on the beach, sitting in the hot tub, swimming in the pool, etc. I did, however, bring the Commercial written study guide. We'll see how far I get on that!
________
RC110

Last edited:
I'm in Texas flying gliders and waiting for Tony, MM, Pete, Chris Longus, and Chris Brevis to show up. I did have to shovel 13 inches of snow out of my driveway to make it to the airport on Wednesday but other than that my trip was uneventful with no delays. I hope everyone has safe travels.

Hey Tom, hope you and the Mrs. made it here safely.

Sure did Kevin. We hit some SERIOUS freaking rain from Chattanooga to Nashville. Now, of course, the beautiful black car is nasty and the wifey wants her car cleaned! :rolleyes:

We drove back last night, got home around 2am. SERIOUSLY low scud the whole way. Even IFR that would have been a sucky flight.

I HATE driving so far in such a short time frame, but I was happy to be on the ground wishing I was in the air than vice versa.

Getting used to my holiday schedule, let's see.

Check the news and board real fast before oldest Granddaughter awakes.

Watch Chip and Dale and Donald Duck on youtube after Grandaughter awakes until lunch. (help youngest GD try to walk a bit.)

Lunch. May go to store or eat out.

Watch youtube, read and help GD walk.

nap.

Dinner and clean up.

Watch a Christmas movie, read to oldest GD, help youngest GD walk.

GDs go to bed.

Check boards and news quickly. Talk to adults for an hour.

I'm really tired: Bed!

Long day <g>

Happy holiday all!

Best,

Dave

Re: de-icing with hot towels. How's that avoid icing issues in control surfaces and hinges? The hot towels melt the ice, but in cold weather that water (or poured water, like Peggy used) will cool and re-freeze. Help me understand.

I didn't go anywhere but I did pack a little something:

3136486441_62209a6047.jpg

Winnadegu wishes everyone a Happy Holiday. :)

Troy, surely some of these methods have risks if used incorrectly, and as a blanket recommendation probably need the 'urging of caution'. However, I can share what I know from my Canajan days (you know, 6 months of winter, often down to -20C).
In some circumstances, you can pour tap water (not warm water necessarily - in fact that might crack a window) onto a car or airplane and it will melt the ice, and leave a clean dry surface in a few moments. I suspect we knew it only worked when it was quite arid (no formal training was available on the subject, but people got to know what worked). Obviously extra attention was needed at hinges on other moving parts.
Likely someone has wrecked an airplane from doing it wrong so I can't advise it - but I report what I saw.
Another method I have heard about in NM is putting warm water into a sturdy trash bag. Then you can drag the bag across the surfaces without getting additional moisture on them, and the heat will melt the ice. Repeated refills at the fbo are usually needed.
Often the air is dry enough in the winter that the moisture leaves the airplane rapidly, without leaving any kind of H2O residue; solid or liquid, behind - following some of these deicing methods.
Here's to hangars, and living in the south!

Re: de-icing with hot towels. How's that avoid icing issues in control surfaces and hinges? The hot towels melt the ice, but in cold weather that water (or poured water, like Peggy used) will cool and re-freeze. Help me understand.

Troy,

You don't use soaking-wet towels, you squeeze them out so that they absorb the water as it melts. Or, you can use wetter towels (more hot water = more ice melted per attempt) and follow with a bone-dry towel.

Dave, sounds like a nice schedule. :yes:

I just looked out the window of the hotel here in Virginia. RVR of 100' and VV000.

Nobody's landing here. :no:

On Tuesday I'll be picking up my mom in New York City and then heading down near Roanoke, Virginia to spend Christmas with the family. Hopefully in the Mooney, but driving if the weather doesn't cooperate. Coming back to Pennsylvania on the 27th, and then I'll then be heading back to New York for a long weekend New Years, but that will definitely be by car, as flying there from here doesn't save me any time, it just costs a lot more money and leaves me without a car to use.

Whatever everyone is doing, I hope you all have a great time of it. Stay warm, and get some flying in!

I'm parked at Roanoke. If you see a Long-Ez on the ramp, thats me. Drop me an email and I can point you towards some great mexican food. :D

Dave, sounds like a nice schedule. :yes:

I just looked out the window of the hotel here in Virginia. RVR of 100' and VV000.

Nobody's landing here. :no:

Where did they park you?

I just talked with a briefer and this is supposed to burn off this afternoon. Might go for a short hop later.

Troy, surely some of these methods have risks if used incorrectly, and as a blanket recommendation probably need the 'urging of caution'. However, I can share what I know from my Canajan days (you know, 6 months of winter, often down to -20C).
In some circumstances, you can pour tap water (not warm water necessarily - in fact that might crack a window) onto a car or airplane and it will melt the ice, and leave a clean dry surface in a few moments. I suspect we knew it only worked when it was quite arid (no formal training was available on the subject, but people got to know what worked). Obviously extra attention was needed at hinges on other moving parts.

Troy,

You don't use soaking-wet towels, you squeeze them out so that they absorb the water as it melts. Or, you can use wetter towels (more hot water = more ice melted per attempt) and follow with a bone-dry towel.

Thanks, guys, that makes sense. I know in the cold-weather-flying video from Sporty's, the recommend spraying the hinges with an anti-icing spray after deicing is complete, to prevent any pooled water from freezing. I suppose WD40 might work, as "WD" stands for "water displacement", which is what it was originally engineered for.

Here's to hangars, and living in the south!

HERE HERE!! :cheerswine:

Last edited:
Where did they park you?

I just talked with a briefer and this is supposed to burn off this afternoon. Might go for a short hop later.

Ended up driving, not flying, because mom didn't want to go in the Mooney, and the weather predictions weren't good enough for me to say there was a 90-100% chance of making it home on time, since I have to be back at work on Monday. I would have landed at KMKJ.

It cleared up here in Wytheville late in the morning, turned out it would have been a juts fine IFR day anyways, with temps aloft being above freezing up to 9,000 feet on my route home. Oh well.

We are nearly back home. Wanted to get to Chico before Christmas eve so we could celebrate and see Santa, who just seems to wander in every year with a bag of goodies. Turns out we were 2 days late and finally got to Chico about 9 pm on the 26th. (Very long story) Apparently Santa had the same problem, because he wandered in an hour later to hand out gifts amid much hilarity from the family. Good to see everyone. Good to be almost home again.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Back