Holiday break metar map build

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
Finally completed and built a METAR map customized for my area.36” by 24”. Going to hang in our local terminal I think.
5E336553-4B11-45AF-9C5A-718F9C4600B8.jpeg
built with raspberry pi. Total cost of project was less the 100 bucks( need to frame yet). Time spent learning-screwing up repeatedly is uncountable.
Will flash lights for wind greater than 15kts or gusts.
Lights white for lightening in vicinity. small screen on right scrolls through actual metar data for all airports lighted-50 in total.
Now that I know what I’m doing I should be able to bang one out in a few hours of work.

Now that I know what I’m doing I should be able to bang one out in a few hours of work.
Sooooo....you're taking orders? I want to do this for IL, WI, MO, IN, IA but I know I will never find the time.

That's probably how they did it in the 1950's. Except the computer to drive it was the size of a room.

I tried making one, but couldn't get the led's to work. Set it aside until I had more time to fiddle with it. That was last winter :(

Do you guys have a reference or resource that I can go to get started researching how to do this?

Nice idea, I would like a reference on how you put it together

Back