Holds for Currency

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
I typically get in at least 6 approaches every 6 months while doing cross-countries but I don’t always get in a turn in holding with one of those. In fact, the great majority of turns in holding have been when I go up specifically to practice approaches and specifically ask to do them.

So here’s the question: if I go up on a day to practice IFR by myself and it’s overcast but not IMC for the approach portion, could I ask to do a hold at a fix - any fix - and be high enough to be IMC and have it count for the currency? Does the hold HAVE to be associated with an approach? I’d file IFR, of course. Then log it as a hold in IMC.

I know I could just ask to do a turn in holding on an approach while cross-country but most of the time I’m not interested in adding 10 more minutes to the trip - plus I’m sure ATC wouldn’t mind me being done with my approach as soon as practical, most of the time.

It does not have to be associated with an approach. You could request one turn in a present position hold while encountering in IMC and get it done/logged.

There is no requirement that the hold be associated with an approach.

14 CFR 61.57

(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if:

(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following -

(i) Six instrument approaches.

(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

/thread..............

........or not

Appreciate the confirmations. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t overlooking/misinterpreting something.

Did any of your approaches require a hold entry in lieu of a procedure turn for a course reversal? Nothing says you have to do a full turn in the hold. Once you cross the fix the second time after the teardrop or parallel turn you are established.

Did any of your approaches require a hold entry in lieu of a procedure turn for a course reversal? Nothing says you have to do a full turn in the hold. Once you cross the fix the second time after the teardrop or parallel turn you are established.
This is what I do. Take off then make first approach at my field I’ll ask for the HILPT instead of VTF

Back