Hold what I have or Go All in?

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
Ok folks – I am looking for an opinion and options to help me either push the process along or camp out until something changes. Here is the deal.

My boss has an 79’ Archer II (3050 TT / 700 SMOH). Antiquated avionics and lacking the ADS-B out updates. I started my primary training in this plane and about to start instrument training Jan 2017. My boss has been very generous in allowing me to use the plane in general. Knowing what I know now (low time just over 100 hours), I would fear the student pilot and what comes along with it for the plane. I wasn’t too hard on the plane but still – there is nothing smooth and graceful starting off.

The plane is hangared 4 miles from my house (new hangar) for $335 a month.

I pay a dry rental rate of $75 per tach hour. Currently I fly around 60 hours a year. That’s a low expense of $4500 without putting anything else toward the plane maintenance or hangar. So again, sweet deal for me. The annual was just completed and that alone was more than my entire rental expense for the year.

The plane is almost always available. My boss and I are the only ones who fly the plane. He flies about 30 hours annually and that is usually on a handful of long cross country trips. Unlike me where it’s a few times a month at 1.5 hours per flight. So here we are – pretty cheap / average rental rate, fresh off annual, new hangar, available and all around a good plane. What question could there possibly be?

Here is the thing, I know the owner isn’t going to be flying forever or for too many more years. Given his current flying frequency, I would give it a year or two before he decides he is tired of pouring money into the plane. Me, however, I will be kicking off my instruments training, need new avionics, need ADS-B and want a new paint job. A few needs and a want. I really don’t think the owner will spend the cash on those items to make me happy! So to get the ball moving with some upgrades a 50/50 ownership has been proposed. Take the plane, get new avionics with ads-b, get a new paint scheme and then get a new loan for the plane. He currently owns the plane outright so the plane would be sold to a new entity / llc.

While this would be great and get the ball rolling with the new stuff, it would certainly cost me much more per hour than what I am currently paying. Monthly loan payment, hangar, annual, per hour usage rate to cover future expenses etc.

This is how I see the new costs:

$50,000 base aircraft cost
$20,000 avionics (I have quote for a 650 GTN / Nav / Com / MD200-306 Nav Indicator / Garmin GTX-344 ADS-B in/out transponder
$10,000 new paint

Total = $80,000 (20% down) = 64,000 loan

That breaks down to $725 note payment per month (10 year) / $325 hangar = $1,050 per month or $525 per person per month.

As I see it, I would have to fly at least 8+ hours a month to break even relative to my rental rate. I would only own 50% of the plane and would have another 50% to pick up so partner up with someone in the future. But I would own a plane and could capture whatever equity there may be. Will a 1979 plane at the end of 10 year note be worth anything? Surely something but I imagine a 47 year old plane Archer II quickly starts to lose value. Another bonus is I could fly without the constant rental rate looming over my head. Most importantly, the plane would be updated, ADS-B compliant and look prettier with the new paint.

So back to the original question, should I push this forward and be a fool for investing in a low time but old by year 1979 archer? Or be a fool to rock the boat currently in place with a flat rental rate and nothing else to worry about?

What concerns me is eventually he is going to sell out. There are no planes to rent around here for the most part so I would either be buying a plane then or simply stop flying.

At least now, there would be someone helping to cover 50% of the avionics upgrades and 50% of the immediate avionics depreciation.

Hmm...
Benjamin

Can you afford it? Sounds like its gonna take the costs you listed plus 10 to 20k a year to run it.
What the decision comes down to is "Do you want to own an airplane?"
See if you can find a mechanic and talk to him about doing a prebuy on it and what he knows about it.
What I did was buy a plane that didnt need upgrades. Look around for one.

I think your plane value number is high. I don't think an archer with old radios and needing paint is worth 50k. more like 35k. also if you want to save buy used avionics (g430w, etc).

Also maybe look at 3-4 partners in the long run. I had a 4 way partnership with each of guaranteed a week a month. realistically the plane was rarely not available. really helps to split a 4000 bill 4 ways

Good luck. Clubs or partnerships are the cheapest way to own.

I agree - finding more partners is the key. They just have to be the right ones I suppose.

I will certainly have to do more research on the base price. I can't find any archers II with anything around 3000 hours for 35k.
They all are around the same ballpark of 49k ~ 60k and they all have about the same age avionics.
I am certainly not saying the deals aren't out there - I am saying I haven't found them.

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1461529/1979-piper-archer-ii
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1452711/1978-piper-archer-ii
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1458445/1977-piper-archer-ii
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1456623/1976-piper-archer-ii (damage history)

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2178273&s-type=aircraft
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2194079&s-type=aircraft (prop strike)

Re-ringing an old bell -- ADS-B Out is currently 3 years away from being required. (Insert ADS-B IN is better than sex nonsense here)

You should have a two part plan. 1) fly that sucka until you can't fly it no more. 2) Consider buying it when the boss says he's selling.

Don't buy half of someone's resell problem. And don't buy a plane with your boss, friend, or family member. (Insert boat partnership fails here)

Your current situation is that you have a solution waiting for a problem.

Maybe just too many words, but the OP doesn't quite lay out a compelling argument for the transaction, or, even how the transaction would work.

If you were nice, and grateful, you would just pay to have the avionics put into the plane, and tell the owner thanks for the use of the plane.

I clicked on several of those ads. everyone was a broker or aircraft seller. top end of price point. kinda like dealer compared to private party for a car.
Go to barnstormers.com and there are archer II with decent smoh and better radios for 35-40k. some are also like 60k, which is insane to me, but hey.

If I was in your shoes I woukd discuss putting the plane in an llc, buying 1/3 of the shares at an agreed upon price. Boss owns 2/3 of shates. leave the last share for someone else. pay 50% of fixed costs until 3rd person comes on. pay x amount per hour tavh dry and leave the plane full when you get done.

3rd person pays boss for last third when they join and now you all own 1/3 of llc that owns the plane.

When boss I'd done, he sells last 1/3 and is no longer owner.
Easy peasy.

"If you were nice, and grateful, you would just pay to have the avionics put into the plane, and tell the owner thanks for the use of the plane."

.. Ha, man. I thought I was being nice by picking a nice bottle of bourbon ever couple of months when I delivered rental payment. 20k would be pretty generous considering he could turn around and sell the plane tomorrow!

Maybe buying new avionics / upgrades / paint and saying this is my x portion of buy-in. He would get the benefits of the new stuff and really lose nothing lost other than some resale value.

I like was said about flying the hell out of it and do something when he is ready to sell. If the plane is there, why rush to anything other than I know my flying will increase with instrument and new avionics would be nice in general.

Not sure of your age @Bman., but at 50 I've seen more examples of "I loved using my neighbors boat, so I bought it. ****er was a liar". You can insert car, cabin, timeshare, and plane for boat. Usually ends the same.

Hold what you got. <- I didn't repeat myself, I paraphrased.

Not sure of your age @Bman., but at 50 I've seen more examples of "I loved using my neighbors boat, so I bought it. ****er was a liar". You can insert car, cabin, timeshare, and plane for boat. Usually ends the same.

That's pretty funny. So true..so true.
I have seen my share of examples.

Well, first off, let's break down the $75/hour you pay (dry) for "rental". You are paying for hanger rent, (or at least a part of it), and I'm certian that some of it is going towards various other costs. Not enough to cover it all mind you, But at least your share.
I'm sure that your boss is pretty business savvy, or you'd be his boss. That said, I would avoid any kind of loan, or financing, if at all possible.
Now, in your situation, I would consider hitting him with an offer of a non-equity partnership, with your buy-in being the avionics upgrade, and first option, should he ever decide to sell.
Near as I can tell, a 181 can be had for about $35k. I've seen some advertized as high as $65k, but that's kinda high. And non of them had anything more than a very basic IFR package, and electric trim. So, with that in mind, mabe with an upgrade to 430W, and ADS-B out, you could add to the value a little bit, and also add to the functionality. And do it for ~$15k, mabe even less if you shop around, and sell the old radios.
One more thing to consider in the "non-equity" deal is that while you will not realise any profit at the time of sale, with a properly crafted contract, you should get at least some of your buy-in back at time of sale.
All I can add is to seriously crunch the numbers, and do a full breakdown of expense of aircraft ownership. all the way down to tires, and unforseen "gotchas". It will surprize you as to how inexpensive it can be, with two splitting the bills.

How many different planes have you flown?

Regardless of avionics and whatnot, I just can't see 80k of worth in a archer.

I just can't see 80k of worth in a archer.

I don't think that math is correct. If you buy a $65,000 plane and put $15,000 in the panel, you've got a $70,000 plane. Until you try to sell it for..........

Thanks for the input guys. I think you are all spot on.

-80k for an archer is too much. It needs to have panel upgrades and paint and still be mid 50's.
-I do need to fly more planes. Archer / 182 is where is stops really for anything I would consider. A Mooney has always interested me but with not opportunity to fly in one.
-Fly as much as you can with the current setup. Search harder for something that is a good deal and that would fit my future mission.

One more thing to consider in the "non-equity" deal is that while you will not realize any profit at the time of sale, with a properly crafted contract, you should get at least some of your buy-in back at time of sale.

I have considered this.

Benjamin

Be very careful if he offers you his wife.

Benjamin,

I take a different approach.

This is the plane that you have been flying and I am sure you know it inside and out. This is the perfect plane to get your training for your IFR ticket you know how it flies.

You can get a pre buy to make sure all the AD's are up to date and to decrease the chance that there is some hidden maintenance problem that needs attention before you buy it. Then if anything happens to the plane you can not blame your boss, friend etc.

You have been getting a good deal at $75 per hour. It seems fair to me. I would buy the plane out right from your boss, the hanger lease, Keep him on the Insurance policy ( to lower your rates), agree on some arrangement on who can use the plane (first come first serve) and rent it out to him for $75 per hour. The time that he uses the plane will only help the plane's engine.

I would hold off in getting a panel upgrade, and paint job for the next couple of years

It is turn key and even comes with a hanger that is only 4 miles from your house and also someone who can help you navigate and mentor you through the in's and outs of airplane ownership.

If you still love flying the plane in 3 years, then do the panel upgrade and paint job, if not you can sell it for more or less what it cost now.

The Archer is a good platform for IFr and can be used for cross country.

You seem to have a really good deal. The boss owns the airplane and it works for him. Either have a serious discussion on an avionics upgrade . Or go with the flow,you can't have it both ways.

Your numbers confuse me.

You'd be 50% owner of an already paid for airplane, yet you'd take a loan out for 50k? Is he going to pay half the loan and just wants a cash infusion? Are you splitting the panel upgrade?

I think the owners logic is to sell out to a newly established partnership, split the loan based on ownership (In this hypothetical scenario - 50/50). He gets cash out while retaining fractional ownership. I assume that he would sell his fraction of the ownership prior to the note being paid in full. So he gets cash, plane upgrades, same operating percentage, split operating cost and maintenance etc. I am surprised he hasn't pushed to make it happen. In my opinion this would be his way to ease out of ownership until his decides he is done flying and this allows me to ease into ownership without full blown here is your note, hangar and maintenance.

Personally, I would rather work a deal without the note. I pay for the nav upgrades as equity and then bring on another partner when he is done flying to buy his percentage of ownership.

In the end, he isn't hurting for the cash, owes nothing on the plane and I help with the general operating expenses by renting.

PS - What I have going now is a good deal. Period. Sure, the rent use to be a little cheaper but now out of the ball park. Why I feel the need to own beyond just renting - no idea. It must be a pilot thing. My wife has been doing a great job keeping that in check.

Back