Hog, get away from that thing.

I would think that a competent pilot was at the controls
There was a search light gimbal in the back, so I would hope that was an appropriately rated rotor pilot.

[Edit to add... per news article below, this is a police helicopter]

It sorta looked like the rear of the right skid was still attached to something on the mobile pad. If you watch the first 2 seconds, you see the lift off, but the copter "rotates" around the back portion of the right skid. The pilot tries to correct, but he appears to over correct, creating an oscillation that he doesn't recover from.

Last edited:
Man, I was worried that the tractor would be damaged. Thankfully, it was not.

A police helicopter collided into the ground Thursday in Little Rock, Arkansas, snapping off propellers that then flew into the air.
You'd think that if not the writer of the story, the editor would know that no helicopter has "propellers"

Ah56aam.jpg

Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne

But yes, I understand what you are saying....

Ok, so what happened? I would think that a competent pilot was at the controls, but it looked like I was trying to fly it.

I don’t think they ever intended to leave the deck. Generally you don’t go flying with the flight control / hydraulic deck cover removed and the left engine cowling open.

Pure speculation here but I think someone turned the hydraulic switch off, the collective lurched up just enough to get airborne, then the pilot tried to salvage a hydraulic off landing. Just a guess.

Last edited:
I don’t think they ever intended to leave the deck. Generally you don’t go flying with the flight control / hydraulic deck cover removed and the left engine cowling open.

Pure speculation here but I think someone turned the hydraulic switch off, the collective lurched up just enough to get airborne, then the pilot tried to salvage a hydraulic off landing. Just a guess.

Looks as if the right door is open, and while really hard to see, it appears someone in the right seat is not belted. Also as the crash rolls from its top to its right side, it appears that someone's arm rolls out of what used to be the wind screen. So I believe you got it right when saying this wasn't supposed to be a flight.

And if it wasn't to be a flight then their probably wasn't a helmet worn, possibly the head struck the ground when it the roof hit the ground.

All pure speculation on my part.

I story I read was that this was a maintenance runup, and a large gust of wind lifted the helicopter off the pad. The mechanic at the controls then tried to save it.

I like the guy with the leaf blower who keeps going back and forth several times at the same time the helicopter is running in the parking lot.....

Wind gust? Funny...... trees are dead still ceptfor the rotor wash through the whole vid.

I story I read was that this was a maintenance runup, and a large gust of wind lifted the helicopter off the pad. The mechanic at the controls then tried to save it.

The information provided in the news story said pilot William Denio was seriously injured. He’s retired Air Force & Army Aviator.

Glad the dog got safely away. That guy giving hand signals was really helpful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back