Hockey is back!

Art Master

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Art Master
Yep, it's true. The NHL games have started. Don't forget to tune in folks!

As a life-long NY Rangers and hockey fan, I feel I have a moral obligation to boycott hockey for some period of time. It is the only to postpone the next lockout/strike from happening.

I am on strike as a fan. Unless the Caps make the playoffs.

Local news at 10 featured the first game of the season. Our team won. The leading scorer is 40 years old. I'm guessing he's glad it will be a short season.

As a life-long NY Rangers and hockey fan, I feel I have a moral obligation to boycott hockey for some period of time. It is the only to postpone the next lockout/strike from happening.

I've contemplated that myself.

I am on strike as a fan. Unless the Caps make the playoffs.

A gook idea. IMHO the salaries these guy's make for playing a sport is excessive.

Now pay a surgeon that kind of dough, at least they save lives.

How about until they get rid of Bettman. Despite a bit of expansion into the warm weather states, he's been an embarrassment and detriment to the sport. The networks gave up and block TV time for other events over the temper tantrum lockouts and offer little once the league comes back begging for the revenue. His other minor labor issues (such with the refs) haven't helped either.

Local news at 10 featured the first game of the season. Our team won. The leading scorer is 40 years old. I'm guessing he's glad it will be a short season.

A real barn-burner, too.

Plus, a retired goalie is on the broadcast team now. Really.

Good fun, eh?

For some, I guess. Hockey wasn't a real big sport in BF Oklahoma during the 50's, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, eh?

We didn't skate on iced-over ponds, we broke it so the cows could get a drink.

A real barn-burner, too.

Plus, a retired goalie is on the broadcast team now. Really.

Good fun, eh?

How about until they get rid of Bettman. Despite a bit of expansion into the warm weather states, he's been an embarrassment and detriment to the sport. The networks gave up and block TV time for other events over the temper tantrum lockouts and offer little once the league comes back begging for the revenue. His other minor labor issues (such with the refs) haven't helped either.

Agreed. He's an idiot. I'm glad hockey's back (and my Blackhawks beat the Kings), but still ****ed at the owners and the players.

Go Canes

I heard this deal was supposed to be a 10yr?

Last edited:
I haven't been to a major-league baseball game since the 1981 strike. Minor-league ball is better, anyway. The young guys play harder. Not better, but harder. They're all trying to make it to the big leagues.

But major league ball? No way. I don't know who's worse: the greedy players or the greedy owners. So a pox on both their houses. I used to live about 10 minutes away from Shea Stadium, but I'd drive to Coney Island to watch the Cyclones play, instead.

As for hockey, I'll watch it if that's what's on at the local pub, but I don't follow it closely.

-Rich

Went to the Avs game last night. Pink Jackets lost. Shutout. That was nice.

A pretty decent hockey game for having broke out in the middle of a fight. ;)

1st round Playoff is awesome! Across the league it seems to be a more aggressive playoffs this year. I dont know if it has to do with it being a half season or what not but its some great hockey!

1st round Playoff is awesome! Across the league it seems to be a more aggressive playoffs this year. I dont know if it has to do with it being a half season or what not but its some great hockey!

I think that's a big part of it. Also, the first round is always a little tougher. 8th and 7th seeds need to try to knock the 1st and 2nd seeds off their game.

Go Blackhawks!!!

Is this later than normal due to the strike? Are they the cause of this unseasonably cold spring? They needed more ice?? :dunno:

Is this later than normal due to the strike? Are they the cause of this unseasonably cold spring? They needed more ice?? :dunno:

No. Stanley Cup Finals are always wrapping up in June.

What is hockey ?

Hockey is a bunch of guys that are prize fighters that dash around a frozen pond,constantly hitting and running into one another with knives fastened to their feet and then part of the time while they're doing that they try and slap a small frozen turd with a stick, into small net.
Yeah ,I think that's about right.
Oh yeah, when they're really bad boys, a guy in a striped shirt gives them a "time out" in a penalty box( not they're room or a corner)

All that said I do love Hockey:wink2: Especially the RED WINGS

The Islanders just tied up the series with the Penguins. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that series.

Go Blackhawks!

Yeah, a class 1 medical should be required to watch playoff hockey.....not for people with weak hearts.... Wadda game!

I kept hearing that the Presidents Cup was not valid because the Blackhawks didn't play any Eastern Conference teams due to the shortened season.

Well, the Penguins got 2 goals in 4 games against the Bruins. The Blackhawks got 2 goals in 17 seconds against the Bruins!

Ok, gloating aside, the Bruins were an excellent team, and the series could have gone either way.

Did you hear the injuries these guys were playing with? Handzus was playing with a broken wrist and a torn MCL, among other walking wounded on both teams. Hockey players are tough.

I'd like to know:
Has there EVER been an NHL playoff game in which both teams pulled their goalies at the end of regulation (not due to a delayed penalty)

That was an amazing ending to a very entertaining series.
Congrats Blackhawks

Back