Hobbies other than flying

I was a Tarpon addict before I moved out west.
For me it’s a toss between the Orvis Clearwater and the Moonshine Drifter. I don’t cast well enough to tell the difference a Helios might make, and a 4 wt will likely only be fished 3 or 4 times a year.

The closest trout stream is more than a 12 hour drive from here, but first class flats fishing is only 1.5, either Gulf or Atlantic, and the Keys aren’t a bad drive, either.

IF you go with the “Buy once... Cry once” theory then I recommend an Orvis Helios 3

That's what my favorite 4 weight is. Pro hint. Fly up to KVSF and run over to the Orvis outlet in Manchester. You can pick them up for 1/2 price (sans the forever breakage warranty). Fly rods and vintage rifles and shotguns are certainly one of those other interests of mine. (sure, you can call the outlet store for the deal but any excuse to fly!)

We're 2 1/2 years from retirement in NH where chasing trout and partridge will occupy a good part of my life.

That's what my favorite 4 weight is. Pro hint. Fly up to KVSF and run over to the Orvis outlet in Manchester. You can pick them up for 1/2 price (sans the forever breakage warranty). Fly rods and vintage rifles and shotguns are certainly one of those other interests of mine. (sure, you can call the outlet store for the deal but any excuse to fly!)

We're 2 1/2 years from retirement in NH where chasing trout and partridge will occupy a good part of my life.

If I ever manage to find a plane to buy I might try that!

I’m 2-1/2 months from retirement. Bird hunting here is mostly dove and snipe other than paying to shoot released quail. Snipe are fun and challenging, very similar bird to woodcock. I love old SxS shotguns and for snipe I use a 1920s vintage LC Smith Featherweight. Starting to get back to a little flyfishing now after laying off for 4 or 5 years.

Nice! Where did you fish for tarpon?

I lived in Palm Beach Gardens and had a Hells Bay 17.8 Whipray, so I chased them anywhere from Key Largo to west of Key West depending on time of the year and conditions.

I lived in Palm Beach Gardens and had a Hells Bay 17.8 Whipray, so I chased them anywhere from Key Largo to west of Key West depending on time of the year and conditions.

Very nice!

I can't afford a boat, so I'm shopping for an airplane. :)

When I was a kid back in the '70s, I spent a lot of time on lakes, wading the grass beds and catching bass with a fly rod. Back then the gator population wasn't worth worrying about, but the lizards have made such a comeback that I'm not very inclined to wade the lakes any more.

Amazing how many common interests...

-woodworking, repro Queen Anne a favorite
-machining
-restoring everything associated with above
-airplane restoring/building
-building using fly rods...
-cars/tractors/boats

Tools

Amazing how many common interests...
-building using fly rods...

I still bass fish occasionally with an Orvis glass rod I built from a kit when I was a teen. It's an 8.5' 9 wt, a Fullflex-A blank, and it works quite well for throwing large bass bugs. I had to repair the cork grip a few years ago, but otherwise the rod has held up very well for almost 45 years now. It's caught an awful lot of fish over the years.

I fish an 8 wt in the salt. I have a 6 I use for small bass and bluegills, but I’ve been thinking about getting a 4 for occasional trips to the Georgia mountains for trout, and for local gill fishing. I like what I’ve read about the Moonshine rods and might pick one up soon.

I got in to flyfishing in the early '00s and would fish the NGA mountains with a 7.5' 3-wt. I went with a Temple Forks Outfitters rod, designed by Lefty Kreh. It's still a great rod for smaller tribs smaller spring creeks in SW Montana. I built a big fat 6' with a fighting butt to fish for largemouth and to use as a lighter-weight redfish rod off of the barrier islands of GA. It's still my go-to rod for fishing the larger rivers out here.

I got in to flyfishing in the early '00s and would fish the NGA mountains with a 7.5' 3-wt. I went with a Temple Forks Outfitters rod, designed by Lefty Kreh. It's still a great rod for smaller tribs smaller spring creeks in SW Montana. I built a big fat 6' with a fighting butt to fish for largemouth and to use as a lighter-weight redfish rod off of the barrier islands of GA. It's still my go-to rod for fishing the larger rivers out here.

Wow, 6' is a short fly rod. How well does it cast?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back