BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
Landed a bit ago and a ramper found this:

a6937eb9-8d77-bbbd.jpg

Any guesses? ;)

LOL.. Yep. Definitely means we are not going anywhere for a bit.

Don't worry, airplanes have lots of extra parts...

Where was it found?

That's a vent under the #2 engine.

Turns out its just a linkage on the reverser actuator.

Deferred and away we go.

a6937eb9-943e-ac6b.jpg

Last edited:
So, you won't need that reverse actuator? What is a reverse actuator anyway?

I believe I have never seen stopped drilled louvers. That a ramper found this should that imply no post-flight inspection?

I believe I have never seen stopped drilled louvers. That a ramper found this should that imply no post-flight inspection?

I think those louvers are made with the holes at the ends, otherwise that's a lot of stop drilling!:D

Jeanie- the actuator is the part that basically pushes back half of the cowl off to allow the reverse thrust out. We just made the right reverser inoperative.

Richard - ramper noticed it before we got out of the plane.

I think those louvers are made with the holes at the ends, otherwise that's a lot of stop drilling!:D
Yeah. I didn't mean stop drilled as in an interim repair. What do you call it when the 'stop drill' is per original design?

I always wonder what happened to the parts I find missing on engines and airframes. There was a Seminole and a Navajo that lost the emergency hatches in the air, nobody reported that they found them. They did find the prop that broke off the Malibu departing Aspen.

Kevin

Since you mentioned the type aircraft I wonder if this ramper had stars in his eyes, aka SJS. No one hardly looks at the planes I fly.

I doubt it. He works the MEM ramp for Delta and MEM ramp for FDX, I'm sure he's much more impressed with the heavies with the purple tails. ;) He's also a ~50 year old man..

In my search for close up pictures of the CRJ 200 (to see where this louver is located, to see how 'eagled eyed' a ramper would have to be to see what the OP posted) I came across this:

http://blog.flightstory.net/1158/photos-cockpit-fire-damage-asa-bombardier-crj-200/

That has been passed around as a number of different things. A friend of mine at ASA says that there was an electrical fire in the panel behind the CA's head and then it got to the jumpseaters 02 mask, which basically created a torch right behind the panel and vooooosh.. ;)

Here is the best picture I can find of the vent. The ramper came up and told us about it. He was like "You have a bracket hanging off your engine.." So I went out to check it out and as I came around the nose I couldn't hardly see it.

Anyway, this is the best pic of the vent I can find..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonfs88/2517162008/

The louver is on the inboard section of the nacelle...approx 5 o'clock position when viewed from front.

Wow, you owe that ramper a dinner for finding that.

Hardest part was writing it up.. "Right engine has broken bracket." LOL..

TR can be deferred, wow learn something new everyday. Does that effect field length?

Oh yeh, we fly with them busted all the time...

Our ops for dry runways are not predicated on TR usage. So, if we are going to non-contaminated fields, it's a non-event.

For landing ops on a contaminated runway data is calculated for us. However, we are unable to depart a contaminated runway with a inop TR.

I'd be interested in hearing a conversation with company why you with a deferred TR could not land at Kxxx because it's a contaminated rwy. Something about the crew telling dispatch, yeah, we can land there but to do so would ground the plane.

Since you fly with inop TRs "all the time" I reckon the above is more important when winter comes.

For V1 cut?

Yep. We take a pretty significant V1 reduction penalty with operative TR's on a contaminated runway and without them, it's just a no go deal.

Back