HIWAS associated with a VOR

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but what are the typical circumstances that would cause you to check the HIWAS (Hazardous Inflight Weather Advisory Service) associated with a VOR? Thanks!

I check it when I am flying far distances and am dealing with weather or conditions that could change. Also if I am board and just doing my PIC due diligence.

The last time I really was paying attention to it there was a large cell moving east bound and I was coming from the southwest and wanted to make sure I was staying ahead of it. Along with in cockpit NEXRAD and talking to flight watch I listened to HIWAS. It was one, but not the only, tool I used.

When dealing with possible weather and once when I had flight following they gave an all aircraft in the area announcement and said to check the HIWAS on VOR blah blah blah. I've only listened to one that one time though.

ATC will often announce the issuance of SIGMETS telling you that details are available at the FSS, FlightWatch, or HIWAS.

I'll check them when tuning / IDing a VOR. ADS-B is my usual source for updated wx as that will give me quite a few more details.

All of the above.

I use it less now that I have in-cockpit weather, but do use it occasionally when workload is high enough to make it easier to listen (or where there is an issue with weather reception). Flight watch is another tool.

Back