Hitler and Gliders

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Anyone see this report on a glider that Hitler had on the drawing boards?

article-1093499-02C46A10000005DC-576_634x257.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cret-Nazi-weapon-drawn-terrorise-Britain.html

It is interesting that we are still discovering things that the Nazis were working on after all these years.

Looking at those pictures it does appear that there would be a lot of drag on the glider while it was armed and the wing is very interesting as well.

Very interesting, but somehow I doubt that the pilot of the glider would survive very long.

That could be the weirdest Nazi aircraft design ever... nice find!

I, too, have doubts the balloon-escape thing would have worked very well, even if it actually deployed... especially if the wind was not blowing back across the Channel! :eek:

I'm thinking that even the most fanatical Nazi pilots would not have been exactly stampeding, pushing, and shoving, trying to get to the volunteer sign up sheet.

John

So a powered plane tows the glider over the target and lets it go:confused: Why wouldn't the powered plane just drop the bomb?

That could be the weirdest Nazi aircraft design ever... nice find!

I, too, have doubts the balloon-escape thing would have worked very well, even if it actually deployed... especially if the wind was not blowing back across the Channel! :eek:

The wind is almost always blowing from England to the Continent when it's blowing though.

I's a stupid idea. It could only be from some people within a Nazi bureaucracy, trying to justify their existence.

John

I's a stupid idea. It could only be from some people within a Nazi bureaucracy, trying to justify their existence.
Not much different from what might be produced in a "Brainstorming" session today.

I've worked in the new business section of my aerospace company for decades. We've often come up with some really wild out-of-the box ideas in response to some unusual mission needs. It doesn't mean they were seriously considered. Somewhere in my old files, I've got a drawing to show our solution to a Navy request for ideas for a long-endurance fleet defense fighter: A Boeing 747SP with Phoenix and Harpoon missiles in internal racks in the belly, AWG-9 radars in the nose and tail, and a AWACS rotordome on top. Oh, and sonobuoy launchers in the tail just to add a bit more capability. The Navy mission needs statement did NOT include the provision that the aircraft would be carrier-based....

As far as using balloon to save the pilot, there was a US Patent on a related concept fifteen years before WWII...

http://tinyurl.com/5wsddk

Ron Wanttaja

Sheer brilliance, the guy was years ahead of his time, many, many years. I expect to see those on airplanes any day now. :)

John

Back