Hitch Hiking by private plane

Wow, more thread resurrection.

Since then I've given some people a ride in my car; accepted a few rides from people, both in cars and airplanes; and had dinner with Kim and Amber (Jet Hiking Gypsy) in San Francisco... seems like that was about a year ago now although it feels like longer.

Wow, more thread resurrection.

Since then I've given some people a ride in my car; accepted a few rides from people, both in cars and airplanes; and had dinner with Kim and Amber (Jet Hiking Gypsy) in San Francisco... seems like that was about a year ago now although it feels like longer.

Was it really that long ago we had dinner? I still hear from her sometimes, she almost came to RENO. Didn't work out though.

Was it really that long ago we had dinner? I still hear from her sometimes, she almost came to RENO. Didn't work out though.
I think so. It seems to me that it was sometime in the late fall. I think she is spending some time in Seattle or somewhere near there. I sometimes see her FB posts. I'm not sure when I will get to SF again, hopefully before too long.

In around 1985 Martha Esch hitchhiked from the east coast to the west on airplanes. But she did it in airplanes that were built before 1950. My friend gave her a ride from Idaho Falls to Twin Falls in his Staggerwing. I took her to Boise in the N3N and another guy took her to Portland in a Howard. I talked to her a couple of years ago and she was finally getting around to writing a book about the experience. Don

In around 1985 Martha Esch hitchhiked from the east coast to the west on airplanes. But she did it in airplanes that were built before 1950. My friend gave her a ride from Idaho Falls to Twin Falls in his Staggerwing. I took her to Boise in the N3N and another guy took her to Portland in a Howard. I talked to her a couple of years ago and she was finally getting around to writing a book about the experience. Don

My pic should be in that book somewhere..... Back in the mid 80's she came through central Fla and a bunch of us did a formation flight from X04 to Hernden and then threw her a party at Showalters FBO.....

Hello
My dog and I are trying to get on a jet from LAX to Paris, Or Switzerland this summer. Does anyone know how to find private jets that have extra seats? I hear some are open to having a person or two with a dog for a regular commercial airfare price.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

The number of thread revivals this week has been unreal.

Hello
My dog and I are trying to get on a jet from LAX to Paris, Or Switzerland this summer. Does anyone know how to find private jets that have extra seats? I hear some are open to having a person or two with a dog for a regular commercial airfare price.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

No, not really, not anywhere close to commercial price, closer to double first class. Obviously you need the full paperwork for the dog. The most likely place you're going to hitch a private jet ride to Europe is going to be out of Teterboro.

hitchhiker-300x244.jpg

It is too bad that some people are that way but I am not going to live my life worried about that kind of thing. Personal choice.

I agree with this… some risk factors should be accepted in order to have a fulfilling life. I think most people are better at sizing up others than they think… in other words, are good at making rapid judgments about character and whether or not to take the risk of limited contact with a person they just met. Where things get complicated is when human beings are subject to intense pressure or temptation. But worrying about your liability is a good way of closing yourself off from much of the adventure of life.

It's a more complicated issue, of course, for people who have serious wealth to protect….

Hello
I have heard people who fly private offer seats ( for a regular commercial price), especially people who are sensitive to the wellfare of animals, since on a private plane as I understand , the dog can sit right there or be crated next to the seat. I am from Switzerland, and will probably need to fly home, for good, by July. I have a great older big dog that I refuse to put in cargo anymore. Will someone help? I am in Los Angeles.

Hello
I have heard people who fly private offer seats ( for a regular commercial price), especially people who are sensitive to the wellfare of animals, since on a private plane as I understand , the dog can sit right there or be crated next to the seat. I am from Switzerland, and will probably need to fly home, for good, by July. I have a great older big dog that I refuse to put in cargo anymore. Will someone help? I am in Los Angeles.

You will not be getting a seat at commercial prices from private pilots as that is highly frowned upon by the FAA. What people often do in America is give free rides, as that is quite legal, if you insist on leaving fuel money in the plane, well, that'll be ok. Most often though, what you will see is people giving free rides to dogs to help relocate shelter dogs facing euthanization to new homes. It's not all that common to hear about private pilots giving rides to dogs and their owners in this fashion, however that doesn't mean that people won't do it, just that there is not a network in place for it like with the dog rescue where there are multiple organizations.

Some of the charter jet companies do sell seats on deadhead legs and I know there are some outlets/brokers that amalgamate them, however I don't know their contacts as the prices were still extremely high when I called to check on it.

Now, if you make friends with a pilot and rent a plane with them and go on vacation, well that's legal, but still considerably more expensive than on an airline. The view though will be second to none. There is no better way to see the USA than GA.

Hello
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

If you are female and luscious I will consider it. PM me.

;)

Back