hitch hiking by plane

TaysieTravels

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
taylor
Hello aviation world,

Bare with me here, I'm looking to try hitch hiking by plane this season. The idea came to me last year when I was living in Aspen where there is a great private airport, and thought it might be fun to give it a shot. Now, I'm with family in the south east as my mom recently passed. I'll be moving back to this area, but first need to retrieve my things from Colorado. Trying to keep life fresh, I'm thinking now might be a fun time to give this plane-hiking a go.

I'm an experienced traveler by plane, train, and automobile. I am looking for a ride into Aspen if anyone will be heading that way anywhere from mid-November to December. Also, if anyone has any suggestions or insights into how to do this plane-hiking successfully, I'm open ears. I realize this might seem a little "out there," but any help is much appreciated.

Good travels.

Taylor

There was some Lady who had an article about doing that. I think ultimately she got mugged and beat up somewhere. Don't know if she continued her journey.

Now mind you, I don't think most people are going to be open to just taking a stranger along. More likely if your on a journey to your pilots license, or even have one. You really need to play nice, and meet people. They will be more apt to help you out.

Mugged by a pilot??? Never happened. Mugged by an FBO , maybe.:confused:

I've had hitch hikers before. They have always been friends of friends though. Someone might hear I am going somewhere, and ask to grab a lift. In fact it happens quite a bit. I will even detour if they ask. Kind of the same reason why I do Angel Flights, it is good to have an excuse to fly somewhere with a purpose.

Now if it were just some random person hanging out at the FBO... I'm not sure. Commonsense would seem to indicate probably not a good idea. I think I would want a reference. :eek:

I had a hitchhiker once doing mapping and once right after 9/11 when airplanes were allowed to fly again.

There are a lot of reasons why private pilots won't pick up hitchikers, ranging from liability to loonies to druggies (both users and transporters) to terrorists to the chance that you might just freak out in flight, so don't take it personally if you have great difficulty snagging a ride. In addition, corporate operators are generally prohibited by their companies from carrying unauthorized passengers, so it's not even the crew's choice there -- it would be way more than their job's worth.

Nevertheless, I wish you luck in your endeavors. Two things I think might help you convince pilots to give you rides would be:
  • Present a very clean appearance -- not necessarily Sunday-go-to-meeting, but definitely not 1960's hippie garb. Something like business casual might be right.
  • Understand that the pilot may ask to search your bags him/herself -- be cooperative if that happens. The pilot is personally responsible for anything and everything in the plane, and there are lots of things folks might be carrying which could get the pilot in deep trouble.

Interesting idea, but if I had a random person walk up to me, ask me where I am flying to, and ask me if they can join me, I'd walk away, fast. Now if someone I know, or if someone I know, knows this person, I would consider it. Last thing I want is some psycho screwing around when we are in the air.

In the late 80's Martha Esch set out to hitchhike by airplane from Florida to I think Seattle. One thing that was different is she would only fly in pre 1950 airplanes. Through a network of antique airplane owners she did it taking around a month or so. I took her from TWF to Boi in a N3N. She had on 1930s period leather jacket, riding pants and high lace up boots and had her own leather helmet and goggles. Look her name up on http://www.theaerodrome.com and there is a rough draft of the book she will one day publish. Don

Last edited:
In the late 80's Martha Esch set out to hitchhike by airplane from Florida to I think Seattle. One thing that was different is she would only fly in pre 1950 airplanes. Through a network of antique airplane owners she did it taking around a month or so. I took her from TWF to Boi in a N3N. She had on 1930s period leather jacket, riding pants and high lace up boots and had her own leather helmet and goggles.
Somebody shows up dressed like Amelia Earhart asking for a plane ride, and the last thing I do is say, "Sure, hop in!"

In the late 80's Martha Esch set out to hitchhike by airplane from Florida to I think Seattle. One thing that was different is she would only fly in pre 1950 airplanes. Through a network of antique airplane owners she did it taking around a month or so. I took her from TWF to Boi in a N3N. She had on 1930s period leather jacket, riding pants and high lace up boots and had her own leather helmet and goggles. Look her name up on http://www.theaerodrome.com and there is a rough draft of the book she will one day publish. Don

Geez.... How time flys.:yes:.

I took her for a ride down in Florida in my Warrior, N4341X, back in the 80's. There might even be a pic of me and her sitting on my wing in her book... :dunno:

Somebody shows up dressed like Amelia Earhart asking for a plane ride, and the last thing I do is say, "Sure, hop in!"

It amazes me the attitude of most of you guys. I have always been generous about taking people flying and promoting aviation. I have made lots of friends in the process and I know of a few who have joined the pilots ranks because I gave them their first ride. I have been fortunate to own and fly some neat airplanes over the last 35 years. I have given hundreds of rides and never had a bad experience. I love the big grin on people's faces after I give them their first open cockpit ride. I also really like to give WWII veterans a chance at some stick time in the airplanes they flew way back when. So loosen up and take someone flying. Don

It amazes me the attitude of most of you guys. I have always been generous about taking people flying and promoting aviation. I have made lots of friends in the process and I know of a few who have joined the pilots ranks because I gave them their first ride. I have been fortunate to own and fly some neat airplanes over the last 35 years. I have given hundreds of rides and never had a bad experience. I love the big grin on people's faces after I give them their first open cockpit ride. I also really like to give WWII veterans a chance at some stick time in the airplanes they flew way back when. So loosen up and take someone flying. Don
I can say much the same. But if a grown person shows up at the airport dressed like Amelia Earhart asking for a ride, it's not going to give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the person's mental stability.

Unless it's October 31.

I was at lunch recently (we all flew in) and a pilot said to me how I gave so many people I didn't know rides. And that he would not do that for liability // insurance reasons. I was at the lunch with a pilot I'd just met and given a ride to.

I thought I was normal but many at the table agreed they wouldn't do what I do.

I guess I have no assets / nothing to lose.

You are right, but I draw the line at this guy... He is not getting on my plane. Sorry.

picture hosting

Back