History of KLNS, Lancaster PA Airport

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
My older boy, David, has to write a report on Lancaster PA county. It has to cover four or so topics about the county. One of those is going to be the airport. Anyone know if there is an online resource for history on Lancaster PA airport (KLNS). Thanks. Len

http://www.lancasterhistory.org/

I know it doesn't directly answer your questions, but I bet there is someone here who would be happy to help you out or point you toward someone who can.

Maybe it would be up to your son to start a web page that tells others the history of the airport! (Sounds like a good excuse to go down there and hangar fly with some old geezers who might have been there since it was a path through a cornfield)

Good luck

Terry

Len Lanetti said:
My older boy, David, has to write a report on Lancaster PA county. It has to cover four or so topics about the county. One of those is going to be the airport. Anyone know if there is an online resource for history on Lancaster PA airport (KLNS). Thanks. Len
Len -

Maybe ask the airport manager, or maybe the head honcho at Airways...

Try the county historical society.

A bit off topic but I should hope that the teacher would not accept a report with only internet sources. The 'net is a fabulous source but is a poor substitute for immersing oneself in the subject by actually talking to people who have lived that history.

Richard said:
A bit off topic but I should hope that the teacher would not accept a report with only internet sources. The 'net is a fabulous source but is a poor substitute for immersing oneself in the subject by actually talking to people who have lived that history.

I should have done some level setting...it is a 4th grade class...per the teacher the 'net is ok for some of the reasearch as long as the web site is cited...the kids have already done some reasearch for the paper using the internet during computer classes at school. The teacher provided several web sites. Interesting that the teacher specifically said that research books do not have to be cited.

Each kid picked a different PA county out of a hat. Each report has to be at least four pages long, one page per topic, four topics...county seat, another city or town, an attraction and one student choice. David could probably do a page on the airport without the historical stuff but it is a history (social studies) paper.

Len

terzap said:
Maybe it would be up to your son to start a web page that tells others the history of the airport! (Sounds like a good excuse to go down there and hangar fly with some old geezers who might have been there since it was a path through a cornfield)

Terry,

Thanks for the link...I don't know if we had found that one previously...that should help with the report overall.

Re starting the website...I ought to figure out how to start a website before my 9 year old does. :<)

Thanks again.

Len

RotaryWingBob said:
Maybe ask the airport manager, or maybe the head honcho at Airways...

Bob,

Thanks. Hopefully some books from the library and some websites will cover it. I do have the phone numbers in case I have to call around a bit for info.

Len

Richard said:

Richard,

Thanks. I think my wife found some historical background on the county...we were having a problem coming up with something for the section the teacher called "Surprise Me"...I was thinking a page on the airport might be a surprise, especially if it had an interesting past like training base in WWII or something like that.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Richard,

Thanks. I think my wife found some historical background on the county...we were having a problem coming up with something for the section the teacher called "Surprise Me"...I was thinking a page on the airport might be a surprise, especially if it had an interesting past like training base in WWII or something like that.

Len
Why not contact the FBOs out there to piece together a story? Maybe someone would have a historical story they'd like to share. It would be a nice tie-in to the basic history of the aprt.

http://www.lancasterairport.com/fixed_base_operators.htm

Hey Lenny, i was just reading some old post and remembered yours. How did the kid make out on his report and the Airport(KLNS) history.
Dave G

Shipoke said:
Hey Lenny, i was just reading some old post and remembered yours. How did the kid make out on his report and the Airport(KLNS) history.

He ended up doing the report on a pretzel factory instead...the surprise me section was home made pretzels for the class.

Len

I remember seeing a historical series on Lancaster airport, a while ago. I leanred to fly there in 1994. Does that count as history? :)

Anthony said:
I remember seeing a historical series on Lancaster airport, a while ago. I leanred to fly there in 1994. Does that count as history? :)
Not Len, Anthony, but it would seem like it to me, given your advanced age and the fact that all that training occured in the last century :)

RotaryWingBob said:
Not Len, Anthony, but it would seem like it to me, given your advanced age and the fact that all that training occured in the last century :)

Always good to get a vote of confidence Bob. :)

Richard said:

I used Internet sources for college papers but that was 7-8 years ago.

I would guess it matters a bit more now if the URL is an .edu from a university vs. a wiki or a blog.

Back