Historical reasons for various FARs

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Just wondering about some of the reasons for various FARs, especially the Part 61 and 91 stuff, and wondering how many of them are based on statistical analysis or other study, and how many are just numbers pulled out of the air.

When we talk about aircraft certification, many of the requirements are based on physics, mechanical analysis of crashworthiness, etc. Sure, there's always some politics or negotiation going on, but at least there's usually at least a pretense of science involved.

But how about pilot certification and requirements? How much of it is based on some kind of analysis, and how much is completely arbitrary?

Examples:
- 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days for currency. Why 3? Why 90 days? Why not 4 in 60 days or 5 in 6 months or some other number? Was there analysis of the accident rate and deterioration of skills, or did 3 just sound like a good number? Maybe it was the number that the Wright brothers included in the first training manual and it just kind of stuck?
- Hour requirements for ratings - Why 40 for a Private Pilot? 250 for Commercial? Why wasn't it set at 30 or 50, and 200 or 300?
- Why 6 instrument approaches for currency instead of 5? Or 10?
- Why is a cross country (airplane) 50 nm? Why not 25 (like helicopters) or 75 or 100 or some other number?

Those are just examples of the kind of thing I'm interested in. I'm not looking for specific answers to those questions, though. I'm more interested in learning about the analysis (if any) that went into the rules. Is there anywhere I can read about reasons for these types of rules (assuming there actually is a reason)? I'm sure some of the answers are in preambles to the NPRMs, but looking for other sources as well.

And I am fully aware that many of the rules probably have no analytical basis but are more a result of negotiations and politics.

Thanks!

Many of the questions you ask were policy decisions made, mostly using a TLAR methodology. Federal register notices of the changes will typically include the back story, although the ones you cite are so old that you'll have to track down old archives of the Federal register.

Just wondering about some of the reasons for various FARs, especially the Part 61 and 91 stuff, and wondering how many of them are based on statistical analysis or other study, and how many are just numbers pulled out of the air.

Examples:
- 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days for currency. Why 3? Why 90 days? Why not 4 in 60 days or 5 in 6 months or some other number? Was there analysis of the accident rate and deterioration of skills, or did 3 just sound like a good number? Maybe it was the number that the Wright brothers included in the first training manual and it just kind of stuck?

Thanks!

Landing #1 - You are paying some attention

Landing #2 - You get over-confident and blow it

Landing #3 - Reality sinks in and you concentrate on getting it right

Anyway, that's how my first solo went 38 years ago.

My thinking behind the six approaches was to make it so that it works out to one instrument approach per month. Keep this up, and you won't have to worry about currency.

But, knowing me, I'm way off and have no idea.

Back