Historic Approaches/Approach History

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
Is there a place to find out when an approach first became active at an airport, especially for one that has since been deleted?

The NDB with glideslope at KGPZ became active in about 1991. :D
OK - font-of-all-human-knowledge-about-approaches or Approach Oracle - whichever title you prefer - can you tell me when the VOR-A went active at 3R9? :p

OK - font-of-all-human-knowledge-about-approaches or Approach Oracle - whichever title you prefer - can you tell me when the VOR-A went active at 3R9? :p
I thought I might get the answer for you, but where I would look would require that the Approach still exists. Curious, why do you wanna know? You can just call me Bwana:goofy:

I thought I might get the answer for you, but where I would look would require that the Approach still exists. Curious, why do you wanna know? You can just call me Bwana:goofy:
Long, acrimonious story. Our new Mayor seems to be spearheading a push to change the ordinances governing our “Aviation District”, which is basically our airport/airpark. Part of their pitch will apparently include an ad for a sensationalist local Fox News story and an FAA letter voicing concerns about terrain and some power lines - from 1999. I was hoping to show the VOR-A came in AFTER these things (our GPS approach certainly did), showing even more clearly that their “points” are ridiculous. Unfortunately the VOR-A is gone but the GPS approach probably proves the point anyway - that the wires and terrain are still safe for flying.

plates. Or it didn’t happen.
Don’t have one, but the ILS 34 was originally overlaid on the NDB 34, using the NDB as a LOM. The ILS was built, flight checked, and transmitting, but there was about a year’s delay before the plates were published. I found out what the frequency was, and for that year flew the NDB approach with glideslope.

Back