kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, folks,

The DE at my flight school has a "favorite line" he likes to say to pilots after they pass some sort of a checkride. He says, "You have to turn in your pilot certificate now. So we can give you a better one."

Well, I have turned in my pilot certificate, and am carrying around one of those flimsy white pieces of paper again, and it says "Commercial Pilot" on it. Yippee!

I learned that not only are lazy eights difficult, but they're also very tiring when the DE says "Do lazy eights back and forth until I tell you to stop" and doesn't let you stop until you've done 8 or 10 of them in a row and you're starting to get both sloppy and dizzy. Is that standard?

Now to go get that 2nd class medical... (maybe)

--Kath

kath said:
Hi, folks,

The DE at my flight school has a "favorite line" he likes to say to pilots after they pass some sort of a checkride. He says, "You have to turn in your pilot certificate now. So we can give you a better one."

Well, I have turned in my pilot certificate, and am carrying around one of those flimsy white pieces of paper again, and it says "Commercial Pilot" on it. Yippee!

I learned that not only are lazy eights difficult, but they're also very tiring when the DE says "Do lazy eights back and forth until I tell you to stop" and doesn't let you stop until you've done 8 or 10 of them in a row and you're starting to get both sloppy and dizzy. Is that standard?

Now to go get that 2nd class medical... (maybe)

--Kath

Congrats!!!

As for the lazy eights that is not what I expirienced. BTW I love doing them and found them to be not too hard. My DE was so happy that I did mine while looking out the window the whole time that he actually was telling me how good they were and that he wished all of his examinees would do them that way. We then went on to the other manuavers but I think he had his mind made up at that point about me. Good thing too, cause I did lousy at my eights on pylons that day.

kath said:
am carrying around one of those flimsy white pieces of paper again, and it says "Commercial Pilot" on it.

Congrats, hope to follow you sometime soon...

So I guess you found a place to rent. Congrats!

Yea Kath !!!!!!!!!!

Now all you need is a 206 & you can start some side work :)

Stay Warm :goofy:

Eamon

smigaldi said:
As for the lazy eights that is not what I expirienced. BTW I love doing them and found them to be not too hard. My DE was so happy that I did mine while looking out the window the whole time that he actually was telling me how good they were and that he wished all of his examinees would do them that way. We then went on to the other manuavers but I think he had his mind made up at that point about me. Good thing too, cause I did lousy at my eights on pylons that day.

I'll trade with you!
My lazy eights were terrible, but my pylon eights were GOLDEN. I :blowingkisses: pylon eights! :)

--Kath

kath said:
I'll trade with you!
My lazy eights were terrible, but my pylon eights were GOLDEN. I :blowingkisses: pylon eights! :)

--Kath
Woohoo! Amazing you found enough daylight to do this in the winter!!!

bbchien said:
Woohoo! Amazing you found enough daylight to do this in the winter!!!

Well, it ain't exactly December anymore... it's the equinox! Twelve hours for everybody! The sun is OUT and shining and high and glorious, and it's only going to get better and better...

--Kath

Nice going, Kath! When a friend went for his CP-ASEL his lazy eights were kind of ragged. The DE showed him some tricks to make them better...

I've been mulling over whether I want to go for my CP-RH. At least for that there's only one new maneuver (180 degree autorotation as opposed to the straight-in required for PP-RH), and that's not very hard. You just have to do everything else with more precision.

Woo Hoo, Congrat Kathy. Always nice to hear someone pass a checkride.

Missa

Eamon said:
Now all you need is a 206 & you can start some side work :)

Wouldn't that be part 135?

--Kath
(still not sure if she understands the difference between part 135 and part 91....)

kath said:
Well, it ain't exactly December anymore... it's the equinox! Twelve hours for everybody! The sun is OUT and shining and high and glorious, and it's only going to get better and better...

--Kath

I hear that! :cheers: Amazing the difference between December and now.

Congrats, look me up if you fly up this way this summer.

kath said:

--Kath
(still not sure if she understands the difference between part 135 and part 91....)
As far as I have heard.....FAA rules don't apply to Alaska in either 135, 91 or 61 :) :)

Congratulations, Kath!

And you can give me your lazy 8s (I like em) and I'll give you my 8's on pylons (I don't like em).

I always hum "The Waltz of the Flowers" when I do lazy 8s, it seems to work out about right.

Yay! :goofy: Congratulations Kath!

Now you can start trying to convince other people to let you fly their airplanes for free. There's a big long pipeline up there too. Maybe you can convince someone to let you look for leaks on the occasional weekend.

So, are you just kind of collecting ratings right now? CFI next maybe?

fgcason said:
So, are you just kind of collecting ratings right now? CFI next maybe?
Next up:

tailwheel (urgently needed if I am to ever fly anywhere interesting up here)
floats (no rush... but hey it's Alaska and it would be fun!)
CFI (again, no rush... I teach for a living already)

Then I think I'll stop. :)

Edit... oops I forgot gliders....

--Kath

Last edited:
Congratulations Kath, and a pat on the back for you. So what are you going to do with it, a commercial pilot career, what airline?

Mark

smigaldi said:
Congrats!!!

Yes, Congrats Kath!

WRT lazy 8's my problem (along with lots of other folks AFaIK) was getting them slow enough. Once you slow it down to where you are twiddling thumbs waiting for the next 30 degrees they aren't as much tiring as booring IMO. As to looking outside, when you do them in a simple airplane like the Porterfield I used, there's nothing much to look at inside. Better yet, the DE can't even see the (single pointer) altimeter from the back seat very well so hitting the exact same altitude on each crossing wasn't a big deal.

kath said:
Not if it's something like mapping.

I spent lots of years in a 206 doing mapping. Pure Part 91.

kath said:
Next up:

Good list of priorities.

Get your tailwheel floating CFI and you'll suddenly be my best friend. I'll stroll up and hand you my credit card for a few weeks. :goofy:

fgcason said:
Get your tailwheel floating CFI and you'll suddenly be my best friend. I'll stroll up and hand you my credit card for a few weeks. :goofy:

Why wait? B)

--Kath

kath said:
Why wait? B)

Good point. Actually other annoying conditional modifiers are at play at the moment so the delay might align all the planets and comets into the correct constellations at just the right moment. :dunno: Or do you mean 'why wait' as in send credit card now? :D
It's one of those nights where the computer needs to be turned off 5 hours ago.

I loved Chandelles, but Lazy-8s were oh-so tedious. I agree, once you've learned to keep your eyes outside and do them slowly it's not difficult but the journey to that point is painful.

Congrats to you, Kath. Good luck on your 2nd class medical.

kath said:
Next up:

For me... Multi-engine is next. I haven't caught the teaching bug. I got burnt out doing that with scuba. I dream of quitting my I/T job and becoming a Freight-dog for the local outfit. If I could make the mortgage, I would do it in a NY minute.

Back