Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Just got an email from EAA and it had this link over off the side:
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1730747923001

It's about installing cotter pins on a castle nut, nicely done BTW.

During the explanation of it all at the beginning where he tells us where castle nuts are used, he tell us why we use them in places vs. nyloc nuts.

This is where I become a bit confused. I realize that a home builder doesn't have to worry about approved methods and hardware and all, but typically when specific hardware is not allowed to be used in certified aircraft, it would cause me consideration about using it in my experimental.

Now I never went to A&P school, I came to the industry as a proficient mechanic and learned the idiosyncrasies of aviation working under IAs. I remember specifically being told that Nylocs are verboten on aircraft.

So here I ask, "Then why would experimental builders use them", or was my old boss 'off his nut' so to speak?

Just got an email from EAA and it had this link over off the side:
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1730747923001

It's about installing cotter pins on a castle nut, nicely done BTW.

During the explanation of it all at the beginning where he tells us where castle nuts are used, he tell us why we use them in places vs. nyloc nuts.

This is where I become a bit confused. I realize that a home builder doesn't have to worry about approved methods and hardware and all, but typically when specific hardware is not allowed to be used in certified aircraft, it would cause me consideration about using it in my experimental.

Now I never went to A&P school, I came to the industry as a proficient mechanic and learned the idiosyncrasies of aviation working under IAs. I remember specifically being told that Nylocs are verboten on aircraft.

So here I ask, "Then why would experimental builders use them", or was my old boss 'off his nut' so to speak?

Maybe you heard something wrong. Nylocs are used in a gazillion places in certified, military, and experimental aircraft.

As an aside, the guy (Steve Carpenter) who did the video said something about nylocs not being appropriate for things which are installed and removed frequently. I disagree with that. Nylocs are fine for that application. You just need to replace them (at a negligable cost) before they lose their holding power. IMO, $0.30 for a nut I replace every so often is a better use of my time and money than spending $0.02 on a cotter pin every time plus the additional time fiddling with the fasteners (swapping washers, etc) to get the right torque on a castle nut AND align the hole with the valley in the nut...

While it is true experimentals can use any hardware, Henning I can tell you from experience as an EAA Tech counselor most do not. Aviation standards for building are our standards just like certified planes. All of the kits use ONLY aircraft quality hardware and fittings.

I came from the ultalight world and had to relearn a lot of bad habits because I simply did not know. All hardware on my planes is AN aircraft quality. Period. If I find hardware store stuff on planes I inspect the do not pass the visit, and a report is made to the EAA Tech headquarters. If the offending hardware is replaced and reinspected it is so noted in the visit report.

For those of you working on your own certified planes, no not use hardware store stuff. :nono:

We are building real airplanes. ;)

Back