HIMS SSRI: history of multiple antidepressant usage

LowHrsMan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LowHrsMan
Hi,

I'm going through the HIMS SSRI process to get a 3rd class SI medical. Currently I'm zoloft and have been stable for 15+ years.

My concern is that I was also briefly on Wellbutrin with Zoloft for a few months about 3 yrs ago when going through my divorce. The Wellbutrin was stopped because it was ineffective. This will no doubt appear in my medical records and concurrent antidepressant usage is a big FAA no-no (rule-out).

Does anyone have experience with concurrent antidepressant usage in their medical history? Did you eventually get an SI medical or were you denied? Would love to know what to expect before my upcoming HIMS AME appointment.

In your case most of the 15 years has been on zoloft continuously. I don't think it will be a problem.

Similar situation here: long-term SSRI usage with 10 stable years. One hiccup related to my business and I was put on an additional medication for 30 days before discontinuation.

The HIMS AME I talked to says this is an automatic disqualifier. FAA will deny.

Hopefully you have better luck.

I will be curious to hear how this one turns out. Dual agents are a block in the two pathways and this was only 3 years ago, but this is an SI for chronic treated illness.

Also curious to hear what Dr. Chien @bbchien thinks.

Well at three months it depends entirely on the intent of the psychiatrist (transition for side effects , vs “he needed two meds...”.....as evident in the notes. But if the dual drug was a year- not likely to pass muster.

The dual drug exclusion is a “severity indicator”.
Reading the record is paramount.

Thanks to all who replied, especially @bbchien . It sounds like the impact of my dual drug history is "it depends".
I haven't yet received records from my psychiatrist. However my recollection is that Wellbutrin was added to attempt to counter the sexual side effects of the Zoloft, which it did not.

Update: I met with the HIMS AME today and he doesn't think the Wellbutrin will be a problem. I hope he's right!

I'm happy I saw this. I was given Welbutrin as a child (@ 8 or 9 yrs old). I went off all meds by the time I was 12 or 13. Now, in my 30's I'm only on an approved SSRI. So, this gives me hope. Thanks for sharing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back