HIMS Review Timeline

Jon Wilder

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jwylde
I renewed my application for a 3rd class medical and had my physical done by my HIMS AME on August 18th. This is not a renewal, but an initial application.

Application was transmitted on August 22nd. Application went in review on September 26th, 2022, and it has been there ever since.

What's the timeline currently running for HIMS cases to go to Final Review?

I concur with lbfjrmd. There are a variety of types of HIMS cases and the history behind each will play into the length of the review process. Currently we are seeing SSRI cases take over a year.

It is as if everything just ground to a halt......
Now they say, "2 years ago there were 420,000 airmen. There are now 720,000 airmen. Budget has not increased...."

Mind sharing if you are a HIMS substance abuse or SSRI case? I'm currently at 7 months for an SSRI case since transmittal and wondering if I have another 7 to go...

I was a HIMS SSRI case. I got all my paperwork done and had my last appt with AME in late Dec of 2021. Got a reply from DC (Not OKC) that they received my package and would review in Mar of 2022. I am the option of continuing to take the medication btw. I received my first class approval Oct of 2022.

It is as if everything just ground to a halt......
Now they say, "2 years ago there were 420,000 airmen. There are now 720,000 airmen. Budget has not increased...."
Did the number of airmen really increase by 70% in two years? If so, I'm curious as to how and why such a rapid increase took place.

Did the number of airmen really increase by 70% in two years? If so, I'm curious as to how and why such a rapid increase took place.
Curious too, I’d love to see a citation. I would think with Basicmed, workload should be Down.

Unless a bunch of people saw BM, thought, "I can do that." Went out and got their PPLs. That would be a temporary surge in 3rd class medicals being issued. Don't know that that happened but...

Kit Darby says there’s a pilot shortage, so it must he true.

Curious too, I’d love to see a citation. I would think with Basicmed, workload should be Down.

Unless it's a surge of all commercial pilots or those who've never been issued a medical.

In checking my status on MedXpress, since about November, there used to be a flag note saying -

"Your application was transmitted more than 60 days ago. Please call the Aerospace Medical Certification Division at..."

Just recently (within the last few days), when checking the status, this notification has disappeared, but my status is still "In Review".

Can someone shed some light on what this, if anything, could possibly mean?

The endless delays in processing SI applications remind me of this old skit (from the days when the phone company was a monopoly):

Last edited:
I am having to to repeat flight physicals at a year to keep the files in DC open. “It is what it is”….

In checking my status on MedXpress, since about November, there used to be a flag note saying -

"Your application was transmitted more than 60 days ago. Please call the Aerospace Medical Certification Division at..."

Just recently (within the last few days), when checking the status, this notification has disappeared, but my status is still "In Review".

Can someone shed some light on what this, if anything, could possibly mean?

In speaking with an FAA analyst on this, they removed the 60 day warning as it resulted in a huge influx of calls to OKC, slowing down their work load.

Unless a bunch of people saw BM, thought, "I can do that." Went out and got their PPLs. That would be a temporary surge in 3rd class medicals being issued. Don't know that that happened but...

During my last visit with my HIMS AME (before I jumped to Basic Med!), he mentioned that this was the case. FAA has seen an increase in the number of airman who have applied, jumped through their hoops, then gone straight to Basic Med after one 6 month 3rd class medical. No idea if what he says is true (hearsay and all), but it makes sense.

Initial SI Application (all prerequisites complete, established with HIMS AME for sponsorship and monitoring since December 24th, 2021) -

MedXpress physical completed August 18th 2022

Transmitted August 22nd, 2022

In Review September 26th, 2022

No movement since September 26th, 2022. Today is March 15th, 2023.

No, the alternative is streamlining the decision making process. I'm not saying we need addicts in the cockpit, I'm saying that bloated bureaucracy needs to be faster at processing the information.

Flip side. Not every medical history is certifiable. SIs are already edge cases. HIMS SIs are edge case in the edge cases.

Flip side. Not every medical history is certifiable. SIs are already edge cases. HIMS SIs are edge case in the edge cases.

That's not the "flip side" to my comment. I'm not saying they're all certifiable, I'm very familiar with the HIMS SI process..TOO familiar with it. I merely commented that the speed in which the process moves is TOO SLOW.

Have they started issuing SI medicals yet that are already expired when they're issued?

Well, I just had one issued on the 26th of the last month, and it got to the airman on the 5th, expired, but we already knew what was going to be required, had it all and issued him the next week……it’s just how it is…..

Well, I just had one issued on the 26th of the last month, and it got to the airman on the 5th, expired, but we already knew what was going to be required, had it all and issued him the next week……it’s just how it is…..
So with the preparations that you and he have done, you were able to issue him a valid medical certificate already?

So I was told that over 40, your medical application, for application purposes, remains open for 2 years before it expires. How is it that Airmen are receiving expired certificates? Is the date of certificate issue the date of application transmittal?

So with the preparations that you and he have done, you were able to issue him a valid medical certificate already?
Yes. And that is how we "cope" with backlog.
Jon Wilder said:
So I was told that over 40, your medical application, for application purposes, remains open for 2 years before it expires. How is it that Airmen are receiving expired certificates? Is the date of certificate issue the date of application transmittal?
IT is the date of the exam, even if transmitted 13 days late.

Initial SI Application (all prerequisites complete, established with HIMS AME for sponsorship and monitoring since December 24th, 2021) -

MedXpress physical completed August 18th 2022

Transmitted August 22nd, 2022

In Review September 26th, 2022

No movement since September 26th, 2022. Today is March 15th, 2023.
HI Jon
How are you?
I was wondering if you got your medical and how long it took from "In Review" to actually get it and what you think why it took them so long?
I am in the same boat and waiting.
Thank you so much and a good day to you :)
WMJ
Florida 9/5/2023

HI Jon
How are you?
I was wondering if you got your medical and how long it took from "In Review" to actually get it and what you think why it took them so long?
WMJ
Florida 9/5/2023
Yes I did finally receive it. After 6 months of "In Review", they sent me a request for information that took me 2 months to get. Upon sending that to them, it was another month before they issued it.

Hi Jon. Congratulations. I’ve been in review since May 2023. That’s good info from you. Thank you! Mine is simple alcohol. No DUI’s or anything. I am currently between jobs with no airline sponsorship, but a good, thorough, HIMS AME. I’m hoping it’ll be an even shorter wait. We shall see!

HI Jon
How are you?
WMJ
Florida 9/5/2023
Hello WMJ. I submitted app package to FAA in May of this year. 2023. Got letter from DC dated June 2nd. Alcohol issue, no DUIs or anything like act. Uncomplicated case.. just hit four months since transitioning. Hoping to hear by Christmas. Fingers crossed.. I am between jobs, with no airline backing, so I hope that doesn’t slow it down as far as priority. Hoping to gain flying employment after SI issuance. Good luck to you!

Back