HIMS random urine tests

T

Throwaway

Hi all, i am trying to regain my medical after some substance abuse issues.
I have been working with a HIMS AME who will be submitting my packet to the FAA.
I was told to enroll in an IOP program and get 14 random drug tests per 12 months.

I am starting the program next week and just wanted to know if there is any food or anything else I should refrain from eating/using to avoid a false positive on the drug/alcohol tests? How common are false positives on these tests, should I even be worried about this? I have been for a year now.

Avoid poppy seed rolls. Talk to your HIMS physician about your diet.

False positives are commonplace. I know of two in the last two weeks.

Most common is dried blood spot PETH test false positives. To avoid these read up on dried blood spot collection protocol and ensure it’s followed. The ONE lab doing this doesn’t care if it’s followed or not. The lab director said so under oath.

ETG false positives arise with consumption and exposure to all sorts of things, hand sanitizer being one of them. These are best avoided with a responsible cutoff level, which is up to your doc or program manager.

Ask your doc about false positive protocol. HIMS irresponsibly does not require trained interpretation of exceedingly complex testing. The FDA has not approved ANY alcohol testing used by the HIMS program, so make sure your doc knows what he’s doing.

Many doctors believe it’s YOUR responsibility to get negative test results, from tests KNOWN to have problems, if that’s the case with your doc, start reading. Even rehab centers don’t educate you about things like creatinine control, that inhalation is more problematic than transdermal exposure, and where alcohol exists in shop chemicals, though they will warn you against kombucha drinks... geesh.

I know dozens of pilots affected by this, and as many other professionals. Roughly fifteen percent lose their careers because of it. I know of more nuisance career losses than legitimate relapses. Legitimate relapses are MUCH more recoverable than sticking to the truth with a legitimate false positive. Think about the irony of that one.

After TWENTY YEARS (roughly how long alcohol biomarkers have been monitored) of this nonsense, a tiny discussion of false positive protocol has finally begun, as evidenced with the recent virtual HIMS conference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back