HIMS backlog

HIMSpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HIMSpilot
Hello

I'm new here. After over a year of doing everything that's needed to apply for a special issuance under HIMS, my AME is submitting package this week.

I'm hearing bad stories concerning wait time.

Any input ?

Thanks !

I'm currently in my 11th month since exam submission date. Applying for a 1st Class SI for HIMS SSRI/depression. If I hadn't had all my ducks in a row at submission time and the FAA had had to prompt me for more documentation it would have been much longer. Hopefully I will hear back in the next month or so....

I wouldn't bet on anything faster than that unless you're a part 121 revenue airman.

Hello

I'm new here. After over a year of doing everything that's needed to apply for a special issuance under HIMS, my AME is submitting package this week.

I'm hearing bad stories concerning wait time.

Any input ?

Thanks !
I submitted that same week. I'm hoping they're speeding things up. Good luck!
-keith

I'm currently in my 11th month since exam submission date. Applying for a 1st Class SI for HIMS SSRI/depression. If I hadn't had all my ducks in a row at submission time and the FAA had had to prompt me for more documentation it would have been much longer. Hopefully I will hear back in the next month or so....

I wouldn't bet on anything faster than that unless you're a part 121 revenue airman.
Hello Redbaron ... I also submitted the first week of May. Is it, indeed, faster if one is employed for 121 carrier? I am doing this through a great HIMS AME, but no company sponsorship. Thank you for your input !

Hello Redbaron ... I also submitted the first week of May. Is it, indeed, faster if one is employed for 121 carrier? I am doing this through a great HIMS AME, but no company sponsorship. Thank you for your input !

From the limited information I have been able to gather through peers and sources, 121 revenue airmen can expect a total wait of 4-6 months for a class 1, whereas everyone else is currently looking at a 12-13 month total wait time once submitted via the AME.

In retrospect I would have just gone for a class 3 first, since supposedly those aren't at the 1 year + backlog yet, then went back and gotten my class 1 while I could fly in the mean time.

Thank you. Yes, I’m going for a class 1. Then I’ll apply to jobs.. I hope I’m considered in the 4-6 month category.. so, are you applying for a first class, and still waiting?

Thank you. Yes, I’m going for a class 1. Then I’ll apply to jobs.. I hope I’m considered in the 4-6 month category.. so, are you applying for a first class, and still waiting?
You won't be considered a 121 revenue airman unless you are currently employed by an air carrier and your submission is sponsored by your airline HIMS rep. In other words if you are waiting around on long term disability they will fast track you to get you back on your feet.

My packet was supposedly reviewed in DC, but I am still waiting on the process of it making it back to OKC for issuance of my SI letter, so just checking medxpress daily at this point. I'm currently at 404 days since the AME visit.

Last edited:
Thank you.. had a flying job for 21 years. Looks like it’ll be deep into next year before I’m considered.. might be time to move on to another line of work.

You won't be considered a 121 revenue airman unless you are currently employed by an air carrier and your submission is sponsored by your airline HIMS rep. In other words if you are waiting around on long term disability they will fast track you to get you back on your feet.

My packet was supposedly reviewed in DC, but I am still waiting on the process of it making it back to OKC for issuance of my SI letter, so just checking medxpress daily at this point. I'm currently at 404 days since the AME visit.
Hey Red Baron, it's me again. If I could just clarify, are you a sponsored 121 airline pilot? I'm trying to figure out what kind of time "penalty" I'm looking at. I'm going for a class one, and AME said that the FAA prioritizes first class over third and second. Thanks again!

Hey Red Baron, it's me again. If I could just clarify, are you a sponsored 121 airline pilot? I'm trying to figure out what kind of time "penalty" I'm looking at. I'm going for a class one, and AME said that the FAA prioritizes first class over third and second. Thanks again!

I'm not a sponsored airline pilot. You can go to reddit.com/r/faahims and look at some of the timelines posted by 121 airmen over there. They seem to be having a substantially shorter wait of 6 months or less.

Regarding your AME's comment, either he has bad info, you misunderstood, or everything I have heard and know is incorrect. I believe what he probably meant is that they will prioritize the 1st Class medicals of current airline pilots who need it to work (true) vs prioritizing all 1st Class medical (false). Again, I'm at 409 days since my AME visit for an initial Class 1 SI with nothing to show for it. If you can find anyone that has taken longer to get their medical let me know.

I'm not a sponsored airline pilot. You can go to reddit.com/r/faahims and look at some of the timelines posted by 121 airmen over there. They seem to be having a substantially shorter wait of 6 months or less.

Regarding your AME's comment, either he has bad info, you misunderstood, or everything I have heard and know is incorrect. I believe what he probably meant is that they will prioritize the 1st Class medicals of current airline pilots who need it to work (true) vs prioritizing all 1st Class medical (false). Again, I'm at 409 days since my AME visit for an initial Class 1 SI with nothing to show for it. If you can find anyone that has taken longer to get their medical let me know.
Sorry to hear. Thanks again for your input. Looks like, after spending

For what it's worth, don't let some guy on the internet be the reason you stop flying. Despite my bad customer service experience with the feds I still love flying and I'm not giving up. I actually have some lessons at the local FBO scheduled pending the FAA mailing me my SI letter. This career is a labor of love and despite not having a medical for the past 11 years I have still found various ways to fly. (hint, look into Motorgliders...)

You can also always do what Bob Hoover did and go to Australia for your medical...

A friend of mine waited 20 months to get their HIMS SI.

While I can appreciate the reasoning, I’m not sure that giving the 121 guys priority over anyone else is reasonable.

Kind of like acknowledging the system is broken, but only fixing part of it.

While I can appreciate the reasoning, I’m not sure that giving the 121 guys priority over anyone else is reasonable.

I think the commerce of air travel takes priority over the $100 hamburger. That’s the logic behind that.

Yup. I’m stuck in that middle area where I’m between jobs and really need to get one, possibly a 121 carrier.. thank you for your input!

I think the commerce of air travel takes priority over the $100 hamburger. That’s the logic behind that.
There’s a lot more to aviation between $100 hamburgers and flying 777s though.

If we were talking CDL vs standard drivers’ license, would you feel differently.

Merely greasing the squeaky wheels.

Back