HIMS AME....Friend or Foe?

Lymphocyte

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Earl Haffler
So I am indeed a bit confused. if I present my nasty (criminal charges, medications, etc.) case to the HIMS AME, Will they help me with it the best they can? OR, are they just there to gather as much information as possible and give it to the FAA. Let me know what you think. feel free to ask more questions as well, since I just scribbled this thought down real quick.

Thanks

Just as with any AME, they will help you, but once you have an application before them, they're required to report all the information you provide them. What exactly are you asking?

It depends on the HIMS AME. Some are useless pieces of **** that don’t care if you get a medical or not and just want to make as much money off you as possible. Others actually want to help you and enjoy seeing an airman getting a medical because some HIMS AME are pilots themselves and love to fly. I’d say it’s about a 50/50 chance of getting a good one. No matter what every AME wants to collect as much information as possible to give to the faa though.

I agree with both flyingron and jstone. The HIMS AME is required by the FAA (appointment on the line), to report findings to the FAA. It’s kinda their job....once a medxpress is “live”. So, finding a good one that you are comfortable with, and getting a consult with them is really in your best interest. Just keep in mind, while most will want you to succeed and with help you in every way possible...they’re doing a job, they aren’t your friend, they won’t lie for you, or sugar coat your experience.

As said above, if you complete the FAA Form 8500-8 via MedXpress.faa.gov, then hand over the confirmation number to the AME or the staff manning the checking window, your exam goes "live" and any history, medications, medical practitioner visits, and law enforcement encounters you recorded/reported on the form will be forwarded to the FAA.

If you fill out the form and never do anything with it, then after 60-days, the electrons get recycled.

If you fill out the form, and then hand it to the doctor or staff member with the confirmation number removed from the bottom with a pair of scissors, the doctor/staffer cannot make the exam live. However, completing the form and withholding the confirmation number might help to facilitate a consultation exam.

@Lymphocyte ... We helpful PoA folk frequently preach doing a consultation exam with the AME if you have ANY questions or concerns about your ability to obtain an FAA medical. And by your first post up there, I would say this is the case.

Not every AME is the helpful type as @jstone points out. But you can let us know where you call home is, someone might be able to tell you who is worth their shingle.

This is my cut and paste item for doing a consultation with an AME.

AME Consultations

When you set the appointment, ask for a consultation, not an examination.

If the AME or his staff ask you to fill out the MedXpress form (FAAa Form 8500-8), it is okay to do so. But be ware there is a way you get snaffoozled by the staff without you knowing about it.

At the bottom of the form when you complete it and print it is a confirmation number. If the staff takes that number and enters it into the FAA medical certification system, your consult just became a live exam. And a live exam must proceed to a decision. A decision of issue, deny or defer.

To avoid the snafoozle, take a pair of scissors and clip off the confirmation number. Put that in your pocket. Now the AME has the info, but no way to open your file on the FAA system.

Proceed with consultation ask your questions, get the guidance, and write down your notes.

The end of the consultation should result in one of two outcomes: (1) the AME says he has enough to issue your certificate right now; or (2) The AME educates you on the requirements and provides a list of things to obtain and bring back for the real exam.

He should also tell you if this will be an in office issuance or a situation where the FAA requires it to be a “deferral” because the issuance decision must be made at a higher level. If deferral, make sure find out if the AME will go above and beyond as your advocate to make sure the application doesn’t get hung up in channels​

Go to http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html
Search the forum about Dr. Bruce and you can get an idea of what he does for pilots.
Let him know the basics of what issues you need to deal with and where you are located.

He will give you a good recommendation of how to continue.
He may be able to recommend someone. Or have other recommendations.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thanks everyone, these are all great answers. My med App was already submitted awhile back so I am already in the system and am currently in deferel. The FAA told me to consult with the HIMS. I appreciate everyones response.

Dr. Bruce is a straight shooter, do as he says and be honest with him. You got to trust someone thru this, just lay it out. If he can’t help you, then rest assure you gave it your best shot. He likes to win so Follow his advise and don’t get impatient.

Well, if you don't equip the HIMS AME with everything, it's kind of like the attorney who would have won his case except for the three things his client didn't tell him....BTDT and that's why I don't tolerate any "holdbacks". You just lose, if you do that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back