HIMS Alcohol Abuse case - Timeline - In Final Review

AnotherHIMSStory

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AnotherHIMSStory
My full packet and 3rd class medical application, complete with Senior HIMS AME review and a report indicating "past alcohol abuse" from a HIMS Psychiatrist, were submitted in MedExpress back on 2/23/2023. It sat in "Received" with "30 days expected" up until this weekend. It has now jumped past "In Review" to "Final Review" with "2 Days Expected". What typically happens next at this stage and in this scenario? Is this still just the beginning? Or is a final decision actually imminent?

Also, regardless of timeline - I am traveling abroad nearly every other weekend right now. Should I be cancelling all of my trips until this is finalized, in case I receive a request with a short timeline for submission? I've put way too much time, effort, and money into this, so I don't want to risk a denial due to being unable to return home in time, assuming such requests are actually a possibility.

Any advice is appreciated!

Mine was in "In Review" for 7 months before I was hit with yet another request for information. 30 days after the requested information was entered into the system, it went to "Final Review". Yours would still be "In Review" and be showing a correspondence letter being sent if they needed more information.

Mine went to "Final Review" on a Wednesday. My HIMS AME contacted me on Thursday, stating that OK City requested a peer to peer with him over Zoom the day prior, and that the peer to peer happened that day (Thursday). I was issued the following Monday.

Based upon my experience, a final decision is actually imminent. YMMV

Find it all a bit confusing, my 2nd class was deferred in January 2022, in July of 2022 it showed “final review“ in OKC. Then in November I received a letter that it had sent to the FAS. Arrived in Washington in January 2023, in July 2023 status changed to “In Review” and am still waiting for approval. Hims alcohol abuse case, two DUI arrests, 1988 (.11BAC) and 2020 (.10BAC).
(In 1992, tested positive for THC on an airline random after honeymoon in Jamaica, successfully completed all FAA directives, and reissued a medical in 1994 with a congratulatory letter.)
Approaching two years, for what Dr. Bruce advised could be completed in 4 months in a prior post. Being a 2nd class application, why so long to forward to Washington and why a final review status in OKC prior to sending ? Must assume they are holding the 1992 incident against me after clearing me.

Sid, I think the medical officer in OKC called for backup. You have two substances, really.....(he chickened out)

Dr. Bruce,
I thought all 1st and 2nd class alcohol/drug SI had to go through the FAS, so why the great delay from the “final review” in July 2022 to arriving in Washington in January 2023 ? Buying time for random test collection ?

Certainly understand that line of thought yet it disregards the fact that I have been subject to random drug testing through employer based programs since regaining the medical in 1994 without incident. Two weeks after my second DUI arrest in 2021, I began a voluntary soberlink regimen for 4 months before it became a directive. At this time, I have accumulated 26 months of documented sobriety and and 22 months of 14/12 drug testing. Psychiatric SAE was positive with conclusion of long time remission, no continued meetings. Hims AME completes a new 2nd class application every 6 month, last being in July. Can’t imagine he has any concerns as office staff completes the “virtual” meetings requirement. Feel that I have done all that I can to earn the benefit of the doubt, yet cast in the shadow of the 1992 event.

Certainly understand that line of thought yet it disregards the fact that I have been subject to random drug testing through employer based programs since regaining the medical in 1994 without incident. Two weeks after my second DUI arrest in 2021, I began a voluntary soberlink regimen for 4 months before it became a directive.
It's well documented here that I think the FAA is a bunch of puritans who need to get a grip on things, but dang if this doesn't read like a person I would be concerned about flying with.

32 years of poor decision making when it comes to substances and writing as if "0h, but I did soberlink all by myself" after second DUI, and third incident, cleans the slate.

Just my opinion. I sincerely hope you can stay sober and flying.

Dr. Bruce,
I thought all 1st and 2nd class alcohol/drug SI had to go through the FAS, so why the great delay from the “final review” in July 2022 to arriving in Washington in January 2023 ? Buying time for random test collection ?

Certainly understand that line of thought yet it disregards the fact that I have been subject to random drug testing through employer based programs since regaining the medical in 1994 without incident. Two weeks after my second DUI arrest in 2021, I began a voluntary soberlink regimen for 4 months before it became a directive. At this time, I have accumulated 26 months of documented sobriety and and 22 months of 14/12 drug testing. Psychiatric SAE was positive with conclusion of long time remission, no continued meetings. Hims AME completes a new 2nd class application every 6 month, last being in July. Can’t imagine he has any concerns as office staff completes the “virtual” meetings requirement. Feel that I have done all that I can to earn the benefit of the doubt, yet cast in the shadow of the 1992 event.
The medical officer (D.C. or OKC, matters not) chickened out! Can you understand that? you have described several elements that are high risk. Al LEAST he's attempting to get you certified, so there obviously is some merit. He's porobably looking for Federal psychiatrist/+psychologist review (I'ts impossible to tell).

At least understand that in a permissive system, the options are:
Act alone- clarly meets stds
Build consensus- kick it up for higher level advice
Deny

Those are the options.

Last edited:
Dr. Bruce, your comments are sincerely appreciated.
Thank you !

My case just went to 'Final Review' status this morning for a HIMS SI case. Submitted the first 3 month review HIMS AME with monitoring in late July (2023). I called my contact at Pilot Medical Solutions and she was able to confirm approval of my Class 3 SI and emailed a copy of it. She said things are getting crazy at CAMI with all the younger pilots having been put on antidepressants during "COVID" on top of ADHD meds. She said the workload is near double of the same period/previous year and that going forward it will take longer to get medicals through the review process; she said I was lucky that I got my HIMS documentation/recommendation to issue in before the storm.

ONE more thing for Sid: Employer drug testing rarely is up to FAA spec. Only if the employer is willing to disclose what was tested for and when will they consider it.

Even with FAA standard testing it would take about six months for a guy who resumed drinking to be detected. The Std is that way because we have other tools- the testing tool is just one of a few!

So I have rarely seen testing not on behalf of an FAA sobriety program, be recognized by the agency. And the testing organizations are unlikely to want to disclose!!!

Now hospital testing for staff- that's a HARD ball of wax. Hospitals (for staff who are on a program) are generally TOUGHER (than FAA)...but we have a few more tools......

Last edited:
Doc Bruce,

Recently my medexpress shows a Beh Hlth document added from a consultant, are you able to shed some light regarding this change ?

No, as it was not a directive that was requested from them per their alcohol abuse determination.

No, as it was not a directive that was requested from them per their alcohol abuse determination.

My case had a similar document added right before final approval. I believe it was the letter from the external consulting psychaitrist/psychologist that was added to my file.

Back