HIMS 1st Class Medical Maze

GRRR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GRRR
Grab the popcorn ~~

Here is a little insight into the medical certification maze. As many people recommend on here, I would strongly recommend that you have an AME that will advocate for you as an airman and that the AME is fluent in any type of medical certification issue that you may have. There are 2 great Sr. AME’s on here and I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Chien early this year at 1C5. Utilize them but LISTEN to them. If your case is like mine, you cannot just switch your HIMS AME without a lengthy process and Federal Air Surgeon approval. I wish I would have been a member on this board 2 years ago and picked the right AME vs. just calling the “local guy”. Looking back at the last 2 years, I would be more than likely already working at a Part 121 regional airline if I had been more knowledgeable about the process and had my provider stacked the deck in my favor from the beginning. In short, don’t settle for the cheapest or closest AME – just don’t.

In 2003 (yes, 16 years ago), I was young, stupid, and got caught with drugs – possession of a controlled substance. In 2004, I got a DUI. I was 19 and 20 at the time. Call it youthful stupidity and looking back, I am disgusted at those mistakes. I started flying when I was 14 yrs old and soloed on my 16th birthday with getting my ppl the next year. Over the next 24 months I built about 100 hours of flight time. 2 years later is when the substance issuance came about and the FAA revoked my medical and license. I stopped flying from 2005 and intermittently applied for a medical certificate after the 1 year revocation was up but all I got was the “We need you to obtain a psych eval”. I never spent the $3,000 for such and just didn’t fly as I was busy with my primary job. Fast forward to 2016 – the passion reignited and the airlines are going through a shortage of pilots so I called the FAA to see what they wanted from me since these infractions were 13 years prior. Lesson #1 – They don’t change their stance. When the ask for something, they want exactly that. Not a modified version – EXACTLY. All they wanted was to get a solid psychiatric exam. So I was off to find a psychiatrist with an aviation background (I didn’t know the difference between Joe Blow vs. a HIMS psych). Found a fantastic forensic psych in Ann Arbor MI that was aware of the FARs and had spent years doing fitness for duty assessments for airlines. This was a $3,100 appointment. We will grab the calculator at the end. He sent in the report to the FAA and in Jan 2017 they asked me to engage with a HIMS AME (find your local one here - https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/hims independent medical sponsors.pdf) or be smart and reach out to Dr. Chien or Dr. Fowler. I was busy in 2017 with my main work (real estate broker) but finally met with one in August 2017. HIMS AME was $1500 to take my case. We immediately started with the random drug & alcohol screening, I found a counselor to satisfy the aftercare requirement, and the rest of the routine HIMS drug / alcohol stuff. Side Note – in 2015 I quit drinking just due to weight and personal health and gosh forbid – I was never going back to drugs so these screens were and still are easy to do. At this point, I started lessons at a local airport just to shave the rust off. Immediately picked up everything and started instrument training. Over the next few months I took the private and instrument written and was making some serious progress. But I needed a medical. In Dec 2017 – I met with the same psych again to get a re-assessment completed before my HIMS file was sent off to the FAA. Psych visit was $1060. Since I was flying so much, I got the grand ole idea to buy an airplane – 1969 Piper Arrow. It was going to be way cheaper to go this route vs. renting. After all, I needed 1500 hours total to go to the airlines. I found myself each night in late Dec and Jan checking the airmen status page (https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/Main.aspx) to see if a medical would pop up but nothing. Finally, Feb 4th 2018 it changed – and I was issued a 3rd class Special issuance. I was ecstatic and confused as I took a 1st class exam and passed and of course needed a 1st class for the airlines – BUT – a 3rd would work for now! My HIMS AME response “well we can figure it out later”. I called the FAA (405-954-4821) to get a copy of my medical and special issuance letter which they faxed within a few hours. The special issuance required me to maintain sobriety, 14 random drug / alcohol screens per year, annual psych visit, quarterly counseling, and to see my HIMS AME every 6 months. It was valid through Feb 2020 so I would be peeing in a cup and following their requirements until then. Between March – May 2018 I passed my private, instrument, commercial SE, and Commercial MEL checkrides and started flying, EVERY single day building time at about 100 hours per month. In July 2018 I revisited my HIMS AME as required but I needed a 1st class medical. ($250). In my Special Issuance – there was a paragraph stating “If you follow the requirements above and are medically qualified your HIMS AME is authorized to issue you ANY CLASS OF PILOT DUTIES”. So I passed the 1st class exam and had a 1st class medical in my hand. If it seems too easy, it must be. In November 2018 I received a nasty letter from the FAA stating I need to complete the full neuropsychological exam with a HIMS neuropsych within 60 days. My AME said he would see whats going on but I didn’t have time to waste. So I found the neuro list (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...de/media/AeromedicalNeuropsychologistList.pdf) and started calling. I got an extension from the FAA for another 30 days and presented for the full day of testing Dec 30 2018. Neuropsych - $2640. Here is a BIG “please learn from my mistake”! DO NOT go to this exam if you are not 110% rested and DO NOT have anything in your system – OTC or prescription. I was nervous about these tests and stayed at an OK hotel and got maybe 4-5 hours of sleep. I really didn’t think anything of it, I just kept drinking coffee and got through the day. With about 50% of your normal sleep you are basically performing with a .04 BAC – now I know! Do yourself a favor get a REALLY nice hotel and LOTS of sleep! The following week it was time for my annual psych visit - $1060 again. 2 weeks later I get a copy of the neuro report and I really ***ed up! ½ of the tests said I had “mild” impairments and my CogScreen looked like crap (.740 LRPV), along with another test comparing me to an ADHD clinical profile!!! I am 35 and healthy so this made NO sense. I explained this to the neuropsych and we agreed that I should retake the CogScreen and the CPT-II (ADHD, processing speed test). Jan 2019 – Time for my 6 months HIMS AME visit but this one could only be a 3rd class. ($250). Back to neuro - I went back down in Feb 2019 ($350 visit - $150 hotel) and took both exams which came out normal (LRPV 0.0062 & No ADHD). Phew! A Couple weeks later I receive the new neuro psych report backing up my claim of fatigue and that he recommends I retake the other tests I did poorly on next. There is something called practice effect so you cannot retake these tests unless you wait 6 months. In Feb 2019 I get a love note from the FAA – “ We are WITHDRAWING your Special Issance due to COGNITIVE DEFICITS””We are sending your case to an outside neuropsychological consultant”. Oh s**t. For some reason, they didn’t ask me to return my 3rd class medical and I verified that since it had a 6 month limit on it – I could keep flying. At this point I sent Dr. Chien his retainer fee to look at my case and assess the situation. Unfortunately, his great advice had to stay as advice since you are not allowed to switch your HIMS AME. Over March, April, May, June I kept calling Oklahoma wondering what the status was but nothing. At this point – I was done building my time as I hit 1504 hours and sold my plane July 3rd . – Sad Day! Finally in July 2019 – the consultant’s report comes back but nobody at the FAA is reviewing it. What does it say? How deep in doodoo am I? I keep calling – still under review. Finally, I airline over to Oshkosh since the FAA med guys post up there to answer questions and sit down with a deputy regional flight surgeon who makes a call or two and then says I will have an answer in a couple days. He gave me his card and said to call him if I ever had questions. Sure enough – the following week I get a letter from the FAA stating I need to go retake the weak items again. I go back down August 2019 for my 3rd appointment and retake everything. $1000 + $150 for the hotel. 2 weeks later the report is issued with all above average scores and no concerns.

At this point I scheduled a 1st class medical exam with my HIMS AME so he can defer it to OKC so they have a fresh one on file for when this cluster mess gets resolved. Exam - $350 (now I require an EKG being 35+) Also – Another $850 to continue my HIMS case since the $1500 initially paid was jut for a 3rd. (don’t get me started – it was for a 1st but this case is now “complex”) Back to the wait game at the FAA. At the end of August I receive another letter from the FAA – “We are sending your file to be reviewed by our external neuropsychological consultant”. Are you kidding me? The 3rd report was perfect!! Honeybadger don’t care I mean – FAA don’t care! Needless to say the report came back from the consultant within a few days clearing me of any “cognitive issues”. On Sept 11th – I called the deputy RFS I had met in Oshkosh and he said congrats – “my 3rd class special issuance was approved””for further 1st class consideration you need to go see a HIMS psychiatrist”. I was semi upset since the psych I had been seeing was extremely detailed (the chief psych at the FAA called him and is trying to recruit him to HIMS) and really wanted an exception – especially with my “incidents” causing this mess are now 16 & 15 years in my past. But I knew, they wouldn’t budge. I found a HIMS psych in Atlanta who was able to get me in on Monday the 16th but he needed a copy of my medical file. $1500 psych fee. By this point, I had made a contact at the FAA and now asked them for a favor for a 3rd time. I paid for the overnight and got him my file by Monday. $150 overnight fee. He finished he report on Tuesday the 24th and I asked, very nicely, for my regional office to upload it to the guy in charge of my case at OKC. I called my regional office on Friday the 27th for a status update (hilarious because they only got the report on Tuesday) but she said “I hope you’re sitting down because your 1st class Special Issuance has been authorized – congrats”. The only change is now they extended my special issuance through August 2021 – so there are 2 more psych visits on the horizon.

How Much??

Initial Psych (May 2016)- $3100

Psych 2 (Dec 2017)- $1060

Psych 3 (Dec 2018)- $1060

Initial HIMS AME (Aug 2017)- $1500

2017 Drug Screens - $70 each - $280

2018 Drug Screens - $840

2019 Drug Screens - $700 (so far)

NeuroPsychological Initial - $2650

Neuro 2nd - $350

Neuro 3rd - $1000

July, Jan, Aug AME visits - $850

AME HIMS extension - $850

Overnight Fees - $350

Atlanta Psych - $1500

Total Medical Related - $16,090

Total Instruction - $5,000

Total AvGas Burned - $30,224

Total Maintenance/Storage/Plane Costs - $31,754

Net Loss in selling plane with high time engine - $15,000

Going from 100 hours to 1509 - $81,978

From Revoked to soon to be at right seat at a regional - $98,068

Why the long story? 1st – Engage a professional who knows what they are doing especially in terms of paperwork, requirements, and tests so you stack the deck in your favor. It will also save you a lot of $$$. If there is a retainer to pay for them to give you the honest assessment of your case - pay it! Find someone proactive not reactive and listen to them. I would already be in the right seat at a regional if I engaged Dr. Chien vs my current HIMS AME (Dr. Fowler I haven't had the pleasure of meeting but I am sure is excellent). 2nd. If flying is your true passion, this process will stress the **** out of you. Be prepared to have methods in place to cope with the stress and a forward looking positive attitude that it will all work out. 3rd. Get quality sleep before any exam and just cancel it if you don’t 4th. PRAY 5th. NEVER give up. EVER

~~blue skies and tailwinds to all!

@GRRR, May I have permission to copy this into my archives I maintain for topics such as this? Also permission to share with future folks who need to hear this story?

Absolutely! Copy & share away!
Also, major congratulations... this really shows that one can overcome big challenges and major bureaucratic obstacles when you apply large amounts of knowledge, patience, and perseverance.

Congrats GRRR. My take away from this, other than the obvious, is that trying to save time and money costs in the end, take your time, take the appointments seriously and be well rested. Once again, congrats.

Grrr Thank you for sharing!

Sometimes it seems the aeromed folks aren't too keen on this new fangled penicillin! I've been through similar but no where near as dramatic experience. First, after being diagnosed with carcinoid tumors, a rare form of cancer. Fortunately my oncologist had dealt with OK City and knew what to say and how to say it. Second, after leaving 121 flying I let my 1st class medical lapse to 2nd class. The feds sent a letter demanding a current EKG. Responded with a polite letter explaining that I had let that medical lapse to a 2nd class. Feds sent a letter threatening emergency revocation of my medical. Sent the head of Aeromed at that time (Dr. Silverman) copies of prior correspondence and reiterating intent to use existing first class medical as a 2nd then 3rd class. He explained problems they were having because of manning shortages and assured me everything was ok.

Feel some of your pain. Good luck and best wishes for getting through all this!

Any idea why you needed all the cog testing after they approved the SI initially? Was it because you applied for 1st vs 3rd?

@GRRR ... any relationship to this guy?

A9813516-320C-411C-93F1-4EA4849BFF84.jpeg

I feel your pain, and other professions have the same hoops and expenses (impaired doctors, nurses and lawyers). I have one doctor having to go thru HIMS and his state's impaired MD program. Double trouble$!

GRRR. I declined to displace your then current HIMS AME because he is basically competent, he just made a single error- not looking up the "upgrade" (First Class) requirements for documentation which annualizes the neurocog exam.

A change in helm at that point would have cost you another 3 months and it's long enough as it is..

But to EVERYONE, know that failure to get adequate rest is a prime cause of just FLUNKING the neurocog evaluation. I have a guy who went through the cycle twice (with a different HIMS AME) looking for the SSRI cert. SI, and failed. Only by reviewing the record were we able to see that the first time (failed miserably) his CPAP compliance was about 2 hours on 35 % of nights. The second time he did better- but still fell short- he was using the CPAP about 6 nights of 7 at about 3.5 hours/night.

At my insistence, the third time, after he had six hours/night @90%, he did well.

I have a current airman whom I am advising, reject my suggestion that he (@ BMI 32) get a home Sleep study prior to booking with the HIMS neuropsychologist ($~2,800). I refused to refer him and waste his $s. He gave in. Guess what. Now he needs 30 days of CPAP but he will no longer have to cope with eternally being tired when he takes the battery next month. He is just discovering what it is to feel GREAT again.

My comment: "get good advice"

And which regional?
I am in Michigan so the Great Lakes office is my home regional office. The deputy RFS I met was from the Central region. He is the only FAA rep that actually took the time to look at my case and help push it through the wait times because he understood what a mess it was becoming for no reason. I owe him at least a heck of a steak!

I feel your pain, and other professions have the same hoops and expenses (impaired doctors, nurses and lawyers). I have one doctor having to go thru HIMS and his state's impaired MD program. Double trouble$!
I've got two of them, as well. the great thing is that, by the time they get to us, to quote Hank Williams, "I (already) saw the light"....

Last edited:
GRRR. I declined to displace your then current HIMS AME because he is basically competent, he just made a single error- not looking up the "upgrade" (First Class) requirements for documentation which annualizes the neurocog exam.

A change in helm at that point would have cost you another 3 months and it's long enough as it is..

But to EVERYONE, know that failure to get adequate rest is a prime cause of just FLUNKING the neurocog evaluation. I have a guy who went through the cycle twice (with a different HIMS AME) looking for the SSRI cert. SI, and failed. Only by reviewing the record were we able to see that the first time (failed miserably) his CPAP compliance was about 2 hours on 35 % of nights. The second time he did better- but still fell short- he was using the CPAP about 6 nights of 7 at about 3.5 hours/night.

At my insistence, the third time, after he had six hours/night @90%, he did well.

I have a current airman whom I am advising, reject my suggestion that he (@ BMI 32) get a home Sleep study prior to booking with the HIMS neuropsychologist ($~2,800). I refused to refer him and waste his $s. He gave in. Guess what. Now he needs 30 days of CPAP but he will no longer have to cope with eternally being tired when he takes the battery next month. He is just discovering what it is to feel GREAT again.

Basically competent, sure. True on the oversight on the neuro stuff but that lead to a whole different doo doo pile. However, not an advocate and pricing himself out of medicine. The last 3 months - I made the calls, finding out the “next steps / requirements” before the mail arrived and finding the providers / utilizing contacts I had made and just pushing this to the finish line. The neurocog stuff is so sensitive - it’s amazing what 2-3 hours of extra sleep will yield in results. ~~ @bbchien I still thank you for your advice and tough words throughout the process. When you’re stuck with another AME but meet someone with the knowledge that you possess, I wish the process was easier to just “switch”. At least the battle is over now and AMCD won’t have me calling anymore! Onward!

I am in Michigan so the Great Lakes office is my home regional office. The deputy RFS I met was from the Central region. He is the only FAA rep that actually took the time to look at my case and help push it through the wait times because he understood what a mess it was becoming for no reason. I owe him at least a heck of a steak!
Thanks for that, it I meant airline :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks for that, it I meant airline :biggrin: :biggrin:
Haha Whoops!! I have a Dec training date with Air Wisconsin. Just reapplied to SkyWest (need 1st class medical in hand to interview and I interviewed too early last year ) and ExpressJet today. Skywest is the first choice since myself and significant other want to move to Denver!

Any idea why you needed all the cog testing after they approved the SI initially? Was it because you applied for 1st vs 3rd?

Correct - 1st and 2nd require the neurocog battery for drug/alcohol HIMS. Also for some other special issuance cases.

Haha Whoops!! I have a Dec training date with Air Wisconsin. Just reapplied to SkyWest (need 1st class medical in hand to interview and I interviewed too early last year ) and ExpressJet today. Skywest is the first choice since myself and significant other want to move to Denver!
...and of the Regionals, they are the classiest to work for (least onerous). Good Chief pilots!

I went thru a very similar process and still don’t have my medical yet. I had a HIMS AME that sent a letter to the faa where he actually lied in the letter meanwhile telling me he wrote something very positive. Is there any system in place where you can report a HIMS AME for this? It kind of seems like they have cart Blanche to say whatever they want.

I went thru a very similar process and still don’t have my medical yet. I had a HIMS AME that sent a letter to the faa where he actually lied in the letter meanwhile telling me he wrote something very positive. Is there any system in place where you can report a HIMS AME for this? It kind of seems like they have cart Blanche to say whatever they want.
Well one of the reasons I don’t do the flight physical until I have everything locked down is just this. I just fired one, who had lied to me...and didn’t tell his HIMS team about the 3rd 35 yr ago DUI. By the state of Calif. record, He had two marijuana events and two alcohol events so he was setup for the “Abuse” path. However his HIMS psychiatrist figured out the remote one, giving him dependency (inquiring as to why a type rated guy quit flying 35 years ago -he interviewed his family).

When I asked him why he hadn’t told me, I said:
Either you memory doesn’t work...bad
Or
You intentionally lied-bad
Or
You have no morals- bad
Or
You think lying is okay....bad.

He replied with three successive rapid in sequence excuses which were all ridiculous. One was: “Oh, that can’t count!” He lied wayyy too EASILY. A lifetime of dependency.

So, as I had already put in his physical, I was now his AME of record. So I had to inform FAA, and then I fired the guy. Sociopathy and aviation don’t mix. And, potheads don’t belong on any flight deck.

Nine months later he’s taken up with one of my peers....but not B4 we (peers) conversed on occasion of the “release”. So it cuts both ways. The irony is if he had been upfront, he’d have gone to rehab, and he’d be ready to apply just about now....

I had some years back another one who wrote Washington complaining that I was being too hard on him. He was a chronic “complainer”. The FAS wrote back denying him permission to find a different hims Ame sponsor. This latter fellow finished and is now a captain.

I think it’s common knowledge, that I don’t react to kindly, to being lied to...so Jonathan, I think there might be more to your tale....maybe...or not...

Last edited:
Well one of the reasons I don’t do the flight physical until I have everything locked down is just this. I just fired one, who had lied to me...and didn’t tell his HIMS team about the 3rd 35 yr ago DUI. By the state of Calif. record, He had two marijuana events and two alcohol events so he was setup for the “Abuse” path. However his HIMS psychiatrist figured out the remote one, giving him dependency (inquiring as to why a type rated guy quit flying 35 years ago -he interviewed his family).

When I asked him why he hadn’t told me, I said:
Either you memory doesn’t work...bad
Or
You intentionally lied-bad
Or
You have no morals- bad
Or
You think lying is okay....bad.

He replied with three successive rapid in sequence excuses which were all ridiculous. One was: “Oh, that can’t count!” He lied wayyy too EASILY. A lifetime of dependency.

So, as I had already put in his physical, I was now his AME of record. So I had to inform FAA, and then I fired the guy. Sociopathy and aviation don’t mix. And, potheads don’t belong on any flight deck.

Nine months later he’s taken up with one of my peers....but not B4 we (peers) conversed on occasion of the “release”. So it cuts both ways. The irony is if he had been upfront, he’d have gone to rehab, and he’d be ready to apply just about now....

I had some years back another one who wrote Washington complaining that I was being too hard on him. He was a chronic “complainer”. The FAS wrote back denying him permission to find a different hims Ame sponsor. This latter fellow finished and is now a captain.

I think it’s common knowledge, that I don’t react to kindly, to being lied to...so Jonathan, I think there might be more to your tale....maybe...or not...

This is concerning, it sounds as if your default is to the airmans fault, are the medical bandwagons are circling?

So what would be the appropriate course of action if the AME did what Johnathan said?
If FAA is going to side with the AME, would the best bet be a civil case or contacting the medical boards outside of the FAA? You did not answer his question

Indeed! Dr. B! My signature: 'I can help ... with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!'

Congratulations to you GRRR. I was thinking about the same question this week.

After I read my SI letter three times, it seems to me that the SI letter (Authorization for Special Issuance) and the airman medical certificate are two separate documents, each one has its designated class and expiration date. And the whole thing should be thought as a two-step process: Authorization then medical certificate.

So in your case, the authorization is for the third-class, and therefore your AME can only issue you third-class medical. To upgrade, you have to obtain the Authorization for the first-class, which then allows your AME to issue first-class medicals. And since 14 CFR § 67.401 (e) says the authorization for third-class SI should be more lenient, that's why you need additional tests when you apply for the first-class authorization.

But my question is:

If I have the Authorization for first-class, but I only need a third-class medical this year, can my AME just give me the third-class medical? Or must these two documents always be of the same class?

From what it sounds on the SI letter, every year I need to renew the Authorization for first-class. But every six months when I renew the medical, my AME is allowed to issue me medical of any class with that Authorization letter.

I can be totally wrong, so can the two doctors or someone who went through this clarify? Thanks.

Last edited:
Congratulations to you GRRR. I was thinking about the same question this week.

After I read my SI letter three times, it seems to me that the SI letter (Authorization for Special Issuance) and the airman medical certificate are two separate documents, each one has its designated class and expiration date. And the whole thing should be thought as a two-step process: Authorization then medical certificate.

So in your case, the authorization is for the third-class, and therefore your AME can only issue you third-class medical. To upgrade, you have to obtain the Authorization for the first-class, which then allows your AME to issue first-class medicals. And since 14 CFR § 67.401 (e) says the authorization for third-class SI should be more lenient, that's why you need additional tests when you apply for the first-class authorization.

But my question is:

If I have the Authorization for first-class, but I only need a third-class medical this year, can my AME just give me the third-class medical? Or must these two documents always be of the same class?

From what it sounds on the SI letter, every year I need to renew the Authorization for first-class. But every six months when I renew the medical, my AME is allowed to issue me medical of any class with that Authorization letter.

I can be totally wrong, so can the two doctors or someone who went through this clarify? Thanks.

The Authorization has a good through date. Usually a year or more out. The medical has a separate date “not valid for any class after xxxxx”. 2 separate items. There is a paragraph after the requirements section of the SI that allows the AME to authorize any class of medical if so qualified. If you wanted a 3rd class you could do so or 2nd. My AME made the mistake of issuing a first for which I was not authorized (but medically qualified) - an odd twist. Hope that clarifies for you?

The Authorization has a good through date. Usually a year or more out. The medical has a separate date “not valid for any class after xxxxx”. 2 separate items. There is a paragraph after the requirements section of the SI that allows the AME to authorize any class of medical if so qualified. If you wanted a 3rd class you could do so or 2nd. My AME made the mistake of issuing a first for which I was not authorized (but medically qualified) - an odd twist. Hope that clarifies for you?
Yes, thank you.

Unfortunately that’s not the case.
Write the deputy Federal Air Surgeon, Dr. Steve Goodman. It won't do you a whole lot of good but you can try....In matters of psychiatry, the airman is not allowed to testify on his own belhalf...but if you do so, be sure to substantiate your position, with documents...otherwise it will be another bit of evidence that the complainant "doesn't get it".

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do on this portion of the cog-screen? Apparently I was to slow on the multitasking part of the test. I am looking for what strategy you used on this part and the game plan for multitasking between the two.

GS+exercise.jpg

WTF is that?

Might just be easier to get a medical and cert outside of the US or something, worked for Hoover.

I used cognifit com for cognitive enhancement practicing. Some of the tests are identical to that of the cognitive exam. Quite frankly, the battery list of tests isn't a secret, it's on all the FAA documentation. Just google each test and look them up. There are some practice tests for some, others you will just have to figure out. If nothing else, you get an idea of what the test looks like, so the first time you see it isn't during the examination.

Update 2020.
I have been flying Part 121 with a great regional airline and complying with the Special Issuance.

Unfortunately today I received an updated SI extending my HIMS stint for 5 more YEARS (I was scheduled to come off 8/2021), adding quarterly updates with HIMS AME, and also requiring 2x weekly AA meetings. No infractions in 16 yrs - and definitely haven’t been to AA in that long!!
I have been compliant with the SI for the last 3.5 years and all reports are perfect. No clue what caused this and current AME is silent. @bbchien - any idea what would cause this?! Annual psych report was perfect!

Update 2020.
I have been flying Part 121 with a great regional airline and complying with the Special Issuance.

Unfortunately today I received an updated SI extending my HIMS stint for 5 more YEARS (I was scheduled to come off 8/2021), adding quarterly updates with HIMS AME, and also requiring 2x weekly AA meetings. No infractions in 16 yrs - and definitely haven’t been to AA in that long!!
I have been compliant with the SI for the last 3.5 years and all reports are perfect. No clue what caused this and current AME is silent. @bbchien - any idea what would cause this?! Annual psych report was perfect!
Unilateral decision by aeromed to disregard regulations and do what they think is right.

won’t be long and we will need our papers to travel... oh wait. Never mind.

Update 2020.

There was a general tightening in February 2020.

The moronic federal air surgeon (Michael Berry) gave in to a 13 year old recommendation from the NTSB saying that HIMS airman should be monitored for as long as they hold a medical certificate. You are now on lifetime monitoring and have to continue this crap until you retire/stop flying. Anyone that was already released from monitoring before this rule went into effect will continue to hold an unrestricted medical certificate.

The moronic federal air surgeon (Michael Berry) gave in to a 13 year old recommendation from the NTSB saying that HIMS airman should be monitored for as long as they hold a medical certificate. You are now on lifetime monitoring and have to continue this crap until you retire/stop flying. Anyone that was already released from monitoring before this rule went into effect will continue to hold an unrestricted medical certificate.
Such BS. Does the NTSB have "data" or are they making this stuff up as they go along?

Yeah. Based on what, I wonder? Do they have "data", or are they just making this up as they go along?
I am neither defending nor decrying the change. I am merely point out that GRRR was not discriminated against, indivdually.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back