Hiking/camping in the NorthEast US?

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Any suggestions on airports that are close to good hiking trails? Might try 8B2, but am open to options.

No car camping/generators on this trip. Plan is to bring a pack and hike/camp for a few days. Thanks

Fly up north out of the cesspools of the cities.

Some good backcountry options in the anarondaks, if you're OK with off airport ops and you're flying something that can handle it.

TONS of options on floats.

You might also look into KMVL, Morrisville VT. It's in the "shadow" of the Worcester Range, lots of miles of ridgetop trails there if you're willing to walk a little distance to get to it. Or on the other side of the valley, there's Mt. Mansfield, the main spine of the Greens and the Long Trail. Again though, you would need to do some walking (or hitchhiking) to get to it.

Fly up north out of the cesspools of the cities.

Some good backcountry options in the anarondaks, if you're OK with off airport ops and you're flying something that can handle it.

TONS of options on floats.

Well, small tires on a 172M with a 150hp engine, so nothing too crazy. But I'm all for grass fields. Prefer them, actually. Always looking for options.

Besides, NJ doesn't have this....
i-dwW5FMp-XL.jpg

Looks like Mt. Washington or somewhere else in the Presidential Range. That's pretty hard to beat east of the Mississippi. ;) Seriously, there's some great hiking in the Greens, but if you're looking for alpine stuff, above timberline, then go for it... Twin Mountain is probably your closest drop-off point.

Twin Mountain used to be great, but unless the trees have been pruned since 5/2015 not a good place to land. I tried from both directions in my Archer and gave up. Maybe someone with better short-field skillz could manage.

Bethel, ME (0B1) has bike rental nearby and it's not far by bike into the Whites.

I dropped into Twin Mountain on Memorial day. Yes, there are trees at either end, but I didn't have a problem dropping the 172 in there. Didn't stay long, but I did talk to the owner over the phone about leaving a plane there and hiking. Nice guy.

I'll check out Bethel. Thanks.

Can't beat K09 in Piseco, NY. Check out the Irondequoit Inn website. They have campsites, cabins on the lake with fire pits and canoes. They are in the Adirondack Park and a trail runs through the area. The airport is 1/4 mile away and in great condition with fuel.

KLHV in PA. Home of the famous megatransect 50K trail run race (that starts at the airport) and some hard hiking.

Within walking distance there are more trails than you can ever actually visit, its in the mountains, and its also far, far away from a big city. Take a look at the location on a map, then google search the megatransect trail, and other trails in lockhaven.

I always liked Thacher Park, not too far from 4B0.

B21, Sugarloaf Regional, Carrabasset Valley Maine. Could always get a ride to the mountain.

Gadabout Gaddis Maine, private field, camping on field and fishing in the river.

Can't beat K09 in Piseco, NY. Check out the Irondequoit Inn website. They have campsites, cabins on the lake with fire pits and canoes. They are in the Adirondack Park and a trail runs through the area. The airport is 1/4 mile away and in great condition with fuel.

We may check this out this coming weekend. Depends on the weather predictions. Thanks.

Back