Highest Duty by " Sully"

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I just finished reading " Sully" Sullenberger's new book HIGHEST DUTY. I can't believe that anyone doesn't know who he is, but in case you just came out of a two year coma, he was the pilot of the US Airways aircraft that made an emergency landing in the Hudson River. I enjoyed the book and I would recommend it for all.

There is supposed to be a TV Special about the flight this comming Sunday evening,... I think 9 EST. The preview showed him in a helicopter flying with the reporter describing the decisions and the seeing the view that he had as those decisions were being made. Looked well put together from the preview.

It is about more that just landing a jet airliner with no working engines. It is about the life of an airline pilot. His family life or lack of. It has the wifes outlook on the life of a pilots wife. The changing of the way people look a pilots now compared to 40 or 50 years ago. There is more to the book than you would think. I liked it. A picture section is also good.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same. He did his job well. Great, but not worth a book IMO. So sick of all this hype.

No offense Bob, I'm sure it's interesting!

An old friend of mine once said, " That is why we have chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla."

It's not an exciting read, but I liked it overall. In my opinion, the best thing about the book is how he puts the event in its proper place - in the midst of all that was going wrong in the world at the time, it gave people a reason to hope that "miracles" could happen. By the way, Sully doesn't think he's a hero either - and you kind of get the idea that he doesn't think it's worth a book deal, but he's just going along for the ride.

Back