Highest airport in Europe

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I forgot to link this before - I read this article while in Italy. One thing I really love about traveling overseas is the International Herald Tribune or any international media, for a breath of fresh air. (although to my horror on CNN International they devoted too much time one morning to Britney Spear's breakdown - ugh).

At any rate, check this out - it's an interesting article. This caught my attention especially because I visited St. Moritz in 2004. I've also visited the highest airport in the US, in Leadville Colorado, back in October when I was doing my drive-through the state visiting friends out there. OK, not yet a highest-airport trend - but it's a start.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/04/arts/tyler5.php

Cool airport for sure.
Described as a "serious nail biter"??
Who's flying their airplanes?

Having lived and worked in St. Moritz, I can attest to the nature of the visual approach! There is no straight line long enough to install a traditional ILS type system.
Though I never flew the approach myself, I was on board several aircraft while shooting the approach. "Nail biting" might be an overstatement, but it is certainly one of the more challenging visual approaches I have seen.
For those who think Aspen is a challenge, this makes it look pretty tame.

Just like the skiing in Europe is a different level of excitement, so is the flying!

Back