High wing vs Low wing, what the four year olds say

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Cathy is still teaching her aviation month stuff to her kids. Today, she took a couple of my toys, excuse me, training aids, in with her for the kids to fiddle with. A Skyhawk and a Cherokee. They've been getting posters and pictures all month long from various manufacturers, to include Cessna, Piper, Tiger, and I think she took some old stuff I had about Mooney's in with her. Just as a note, she hasn't forgotten gliders and helicopters either, and Robinson really hooked her up with some neat stuff, including gold helicopter pins for the kids that have made me jealous.

Anyway, the kids got to play with my training aids today, as well as draw some planes. Cathy took a poll to see whether they like high wings or low wings better. 16-3, high wings rule!!

Nothing like getting a call and having 19 kids start chanting/screaming "high wings, high wings" to get the ole ears ringing LOL

I remember when I first started flight training. I had a friend who had been a fighter pilot during WWII and I asked him what he thought was better, high wing or low wing. His answer was "Have you ever seen a bird with a low wing?"

This was coming from a guy who flew P-51s but when it came time to buy his own airplane he bought a Cessna 182.

Jeannie

woodstock said:
ha ha ha!

you sure Cathy didn't coach 'em along? ;)

LOL I don't think so. We do most of our flying in the Skyhawk, but our hands down favorite is the Tiger :)

Joe Williams said:
Anyway, the kids got to play with my training aids today, as well as draw some planes. Cathy took a poll to see whether they like high wings or low wings better. 16-3, high wings rule!!

Nothing like getting a call and having 19 kids start chanting/screaming "high wings, high wings" to get the ole ears ringing LOL

Ah, youth. When they grow up and find out what life is really about they come over to low wings. :)

Jeez Joe, she is still teaching aviation stuff to the preschoolers! Is she getting them ready to take their private pilot written?:rolleyes:

I dunno - I trained and have done almost all of my flying in high wings, but recently sold my Skyhawk and bought a Tiger, mostly on faith (Cessna pilots like their planes, but Grumman enthusiasts REALLY LOVE their planes). I enjoyed it well enough for the few hours I flew it before the engine swallowed a valve on the way home, but I can't say I'm a full convert yet. Only time will tell. Of course right now time is telling me to wait for the d@mned engine to get back from the overhauler! Sigh... patience is not one of my virtues...

BillG said:
bought a Tiger, mostly on faith (Cessna pilots like their planes, but Grumman enthusiasts REALLY LOVE their planes). I enjoyed it well enough for the few hours I flew it before the engine swallowed a valve on the way home, but I can't say I'm a full convert yet.

Bill. Don't worry, you will come over to the Dark Side soon enough. Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Joe. What do kids know anyway.

AdamZ said:
Jeez Joe, she is still teaching aviation stuff to the preschoolers! Is she getting them ready to take their private pilot written?:rolleyes:

It's Aviation Month at the school. Some new goodies for them every day. Surely you don't think there can be too much aviation indoctrination/education for our kids now, do you? :) She had Sean come to her class today and tell her kids what it's like to go flying. She said he picked up some toy blocks and cars and told them that everything looks like that from the air. Guess they really ate that up.

You should see the ticket counter the kids and teachers built in the school's lobby. Even has luggage handling and flight schedules. Pretty cool!

What no TSA agents groaping people?:rofl:

I say get em interested young and It will be a life long passion!

I say Joe better get that lesson plan for the kiddies completed. OTOH, you could always stand in front of the kids with a training aid in your hand and make Vroom, Vroom sounds.

Joe,

I laughed when I read your post. Kids are great aren't they? I would be interested, thought, if we were to have the kids "visit" your cessna and then the Falcon 900 (low wing) I fly and see which one they liked better :) maybe the Cessna would win, but the contest would be interesting :)

BTW, I AM a Skylane owner, and LOVE it!

Kevin

Joe Williams said:
Well, kids do say the darndest things!

Scientific research has shown that the preference for high wing airplanes generally fades somewhere around age 14 or 15 when the child begins to mature and their brains are becoming fully developed. Unfortunately there are some adults who struggle with the "high wings rule" affliction their entire lives. We can only try to help them along with encouragement and, in the worst cases, institutional care.

Chip

Maverick said:
I remember when I first started flight training. I had a friend who had been a fighter pilot during WWII and I asked him what he thought was better, high wing or low wing. His answer was "Have you ever seen a bird with a low wing?"

This was coming from a guy who flew P-51s but when it came time to buy his own airplane he bought a Cessna 182.

Jeannie

Have you ever seen a fighter plane with a high wing?

Have you even seen a supersonic plane with a high wing?

Have you ever seen a spacecraft with a high wing?

gibbons said:
Well, kids do say the darndest things!

Scientific research has shown that the preference for high wing airplanes generally fades somewhere around age 14 or 15 when the child begins to mature and their brains are becoming fully developed. Unfortunately there are some adults who struggle with the "high wings rule" affliction their entire lives. We can only try to help them along with encouragement and, in the worst cases, institutional care.

Chip
What's your excuse, Mr. "I just bought a Citabria"? :D

mikea said:
Have you ever seen a fighter plane with a high wing?

Have you even seen a supersonic plane with a high wing?

Yes. F-111, Tornado, Crusader. Spacecraft don't care about wings. :)

Joe Williams said:
F-15, F-18, A-7, MiG23, MiG29, I think the Su-27, MiG 25

I don't know about the F-15, F/A-18, MiG 29 and Su-27 Joe. To me they are low wing.

Anthony said:
I don't know about the F-15, F/A-18, MiG 29 and Su-27 Joe. To me they are low wing.

The whole body hangs under the F-15, for example. I've driven under the wings, once at horrifying speeds. It's a high wing. The F-4 is a low wing.

Joe Williams said:
The whole body hangs under the F-15, for example. I've driven under the wings, once at horrifying speeds. It's a high wing. The F-4 is a low wing.

The F14 Tomcat looks like a high wing also and I know both the Eagle and the Tomcat are supersonic.

Jeannie

Brian Austin said:
Same as mine.

If there was a low-wing Citabria I'd have bought that instead. Still thinking about trading it for an RV-8. Just this pesky little detail of building it ...

Anthony said:
Yes. F-111, Tornado, Crusader. Spacecraft don't care about wings. :)

The Space Shuttle has (low) wings (not that I would defend it).

Ken Ibold said:
Same as mine.

If there was a low-wing Citabria I'd have bought that instead. Still thinking about trading it for an RV-8. Just this pesky little detail of building it ...

Yea, what he said.

Gibbons...Hmmmm.....Where are the wings located on the Citabria?

High wing vs Low wing

For those who can't decide, there are alternatives.....
Here's one :cool:

standard.jpg

All the disadvantages of both configurations in one airplane !

T Bone said:
High wing vs Low wing

For those who can't decide, there are alternatives.....
Here's one :cool:

standard.jpg

Actually, I must side with T Bone on this issue.

Dustin

Dustin said:
Actually, I must side with T Bone on this issue.

Dustin

Sides? We're taking sides?:p Thanks Dustin, but I thought my response was more a middle ground, sort of a "compromise" :cool: . In actuality, I love this plane, have dozens of pics of it, and was just looking for an excuse to post one....
I'll be over here on the sidelines, watching the debate rage on now.... You're welcome to join me :D

mikea said:

SpaceShipOne

However REAL spaceships don't have wings of any kind, nor streamlining of any kind, nor do they have heat shields. Sadly, we don't build those anymore.

Flying a Cessna 182, I got a little upset when my seven year old genius aksed this weekend: "Dad, do you see that plane" I said "yes" and he asked which way it was going. It was banking to our left in the pattern-nothing special.

He said that he couldn't tell which way it was going, he thought it was upside down because the wings wer on top. Funny he would say that because he has only ever flown in a high wing. Guess being a genius is really only a number anyway. It's all in the application and philosophic understanding

mikea said:
The Space Shuttle has (low) wings (not that I would defend it).

I should have said TRUE spacecraft don't care about wings.

Brian Austin said:

If you fly the Citabria corrrectly, the wing is under you half the time.... :goofy:

Yes, that is true. No sides. Compromises abound in aviation at every turn, this is just another one. (Dustin now tucks tail under and slinks to the sidelines).

Dustin Smith

For the firefox experts. Why can't I see the picture in T-Bones post? I suspected there must be something significant, so I opened the page in IE and there it was.

mdreger said:
For the firefox experts. Why can't I see the picture in T-Bones post? I suspected there must be something significant, so I opened the page in IE and there it was.
No problem with FF here. Are you missing other photos?

Back