High BP... FAA Red Flags

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
What would be the red flag prescription drugs for high blood pressure that would cause a concern for the FAA...

Thanks

Hypertension, even benign, is a very bad thing left untreated. Damage is occurring all the time. Do not let your concerns about the FAA and your medical certificate get in the way.

"I feel fine" only works for you until you don't. And you graduate from dealing with simple BP meds to a full on cardiac SI.

Hypertension, even benign, is a very bad thing left untreated. Damage is occurring all the time. Do not let your concerns about the FAA and your medical certificate get in the way.

"I feel fine" only works for you until you don't. And you graduate from dealing with simple BP meds to a full on cardiac SI.

What we're working on... MD had me on some lifestyle changes with one being "don't push it too hard at the gym... you XX old, you don't get your pulse up top 190 BPM any more... that's a first for me.

Funny.... the FAA allows 155/95 Item 55... my MD is all freaked out at 138/81

What we're working on... MD had me on some lifestyle changes with one being "don't push it too hard at the gym... you XX old, you don't get your pulse up top 190 BPM any more... that's a first for me.

Funny.... the FAA allows 155/95 Item 55... my MD is all freaked out at 138/81
That is because FAA is about meeting minimal standards. At 140 your Heart attack and stroke risk is about twice that of 130. If I were your doc, I'd be concerned too.

Hey no kidding, if you fool yourself about losing the weight, etc. you feel "GREEEAT!" until you don't. :(

My doc isn't happy with anything above 135 and I don't blame him. So losing ballast and taking lisonopril is fine by me if it means reducing my risks of a bad cardiac event.

If it helps you, the FAA has known I have an elevated BP and take Lisonopril for as long as they have been aware of me. My GP fills out the status worksheet supplied by the AME, adds the note that I have been appropriately counseled and he isn't following me for CAD. So far so good. I walk the dog nightly, ride my Peloton bike 4 days a week, and try to eat sensible. And take my meds.

Listen to your doc. Do as he suggests. Live long and forestall the "...until you don't" for as long as possible.

Umm... I regularly hit 180-190 BP in gym.... shud I stop pushing so hard??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Regularly pushing myself like that is what helps keep my BP in check. If your doc doesn't tell you not to do it and you don't get pains when you do it, push away. If you are worried about it call your doc and ask.

I am a little older than the 30 to 35 target range... what my MD found odd was though my BP was high, my pulse was very low... for a person my age.. but then again I hit the X-Trainer and Stair Climber pretty hard no less than 4 days a week...

Age Target HR Zone 50-85% Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
20 years 100-170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
30 years 95-162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
35 years 93-157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
40 years 90-153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
45 years 88-149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
50 years 85-145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
55 years 83-140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
60 years 80-136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
65 years 78-132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
70 years 75-128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

My BP is consistently 120/65. Izzat a good number for a long and lazy life? :D

I had an at rest HB of 18 BPM. Up walking my heart rate would get up to 30 BPM. They installed a pacemaker a little over a year ago and set it to 60 BPM when at rest. I feel so much better today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back