High blood pressure

Mark D

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Crash812
This last year or so has not been so good, and I have put on some weight. I check my blood pressure monthly and noticed it was too high at my last check and then checked it every day for a few days since, and it is still too high. I have always had fantastic lower pressure, but am now 50.
While I am going to get more physical activity going and start loosing weight, I'd like to get the pressure down as soon as possible.
So I don't screw myself as far as getting a second class medical, do I just go to my family doctor and get a prescription, or is there a "best way" approach to this? Do I start with my AME?
There is no family history of ANY medical conditions, so this is all new territory for me.

When you go to your family doc for prescription bring the list of approved drugs with you. There are 20 that the faa is ok with you taking the blood pressure.

When I went and handed my doctor the list she questioned which was more important my health or flying. I said flying. Be prepared to know what you can take and maybe have a discussion with the doctor. It's not a big deal popping a pill every morning. You may feel better and have more energy. For me it's heredity. My grandfather took meds at 40. My mom and then me.

When you go to your family doc for prescription bring the list of approved drugs with you. There are 20 that the faa is ok with you taking the blood pressure.

When I went and handed my doctor the list she questioned which was more important my health or flying. I said flying. Be prepared to know what you can take and maybe have a discussion with the doctor. It's not a big deal popping a pill every morning. You may feel better and have more energy. For me it's heredity. My grandfather took meds at 40. My mom and then me.

A few years ago I went to my doc because I was beginning to see a small uptick in my BP numbers. Doc was straight with me and said, "I can fix this with meds or you can fix this with a lifestyle change." I asked what I needed to do and he gave me a short list. Lose 20 lbs., get 30 minutes of brisk walking everyday (most everyday) to get a sustained increase in heartrate, drink more water, and start eating a low sodium diet. This has worked very well for me.

My BP is highest in the mornings so that's when I hydrate and either take a walk or go to the treadmill. Lowers the BP and gets me motivated to go for the rest of the day. I do this even before breakfast. I still like my caffeine but usually wait until later in the day for coffee as drinking it in the morning will raise BP and tends to keep it higher throughout the day.

Don't know what your doc will recommend for you and I won't say what works for me works for anyone else but as we age things will change. I'm very blessed with good health for my age but I try to pay attention and do the things that keep me feeling good. Living long is great as long as you have good health to go with it.

Last edited:
Here's the info for AMEs: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/antihyp/

You can be on up to 3 approved medicines, but you have to be stable for at least 7 days before the exam. The FAA is pretty generous on limits though, 155/95. Share the approved types with your regular doc and get the numbers below 155/95. Get a letter from him that you're stable for > 7 days on x medication and no changes are needed, and take that letter to the AME when you go for your medical.

"I am satisfied with Mark D's Hypertension control and have no immediate plans to make changes, doc Signature, Date", does it for me.

you have heard from the man, dr chien. but I will add my personal experience. like most pilots I only go to the doctor to get a FAA med. I found out how high my BP was the first week of sept. we are talking stroke range BP here north of 190. my GP put me on two approved BP meds and had it down to acceptable levels and stable in time to get my 1st class by the end of the month. simple as could be.

My BP went from normal to stroke level in my early 40's for no reason other than genetics. Getting old sucks. Just get it controlled asap. As Dr Chen said, medication and a simple note from you Dr. will solve this problem in a week.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back