High Altitude Endorsement- Who gives?

Ron Levy said:
No, but I got a letter back from the EA RC saying "ignore previous letter -- Chief Counsel overruled"

Do you have a copy of that letter you could post? Not saying it didn't happen, but FWIW since January of this year AOPA/Jeppesen (FIRC related) have been trying to get a chief counsel opinion on this very topic. So far they haven't scored anything at all. If you have a RC letter stating what you claim the folks at AOPA/Jeppesen would appreciate reading it.

Don Jones said:
Is there a link to this FAQ page? If so would someone post it?
Don

No I guess the FAA took it down. Considering how they took it down, I'd really be hesitant to put my certificate on anything it said at one point. But that's just me.

Ed Guthrie said:
Do you have a copy of that letter you could post?
Not that I can find here, and since it went to my university address, it may be there -- and inaccessible to me. If you need confirmation, check with the EA RC's office or AGC-240. I still think it's total BS, but it's not my call to make.

jangell said:
No I guess the FAA took it down. Considering how they took it down, I'd really be hesitant to put my certificate on anything it said at one point. But that's just me.
It was taken down as part of an FAA-wide FAQ consolidation process. It is still used internally, but not as a direct access to outsiders. FSDO's are supposed to ask their Regional AFS office when they have a Part 61 policy question, and Regional then asks AFS-800 -- i.e., chain of command and all that. AFS-800 uses the same document to answer when questions come in, but only Region talks to AFS-800, and the FSDO's only talk to Region. They are slowly putting all the FAQ's on the FAA's central FAQ site, but it takes a long time to put 800 pages of single-spaced 10-pt type in the central site format.

bbchien said:
Wow. As I said, I would never be putting my certificate at risk. Sounds like this non CFI-MEI is so deperate for twin time that he's risking his certificate. Sad.

ya pretty much

Back