High altitude balloons

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
So who is flying high altitude balloons over the New Mexico/Colorado boarder? There were two of them above 55,000' and squitting 1090. Bizarre stuff. Moved about 50 miles in 30 minutes while descending about 10,000 feet. No ID on the squit, just an altitude. I was at 10,000' and couldn't see the targets - that doesn't mean they were really at the reported altitude...and I'm assuming they were balloons...maybe they were aliens looking for Roswell? :dunno:

So who is flying high altitude balloons over the New Mexico/Colorado boarder? There were two of them above 55,000' and squitting 1090. Bizarre stuff. Moved about 50 miles in 30 minutes while descending about 10,000 feet. No ID on the squit, just an altitude. I was at 10,000' and couldn't see the targets - that doesn't mean they were really at the reported altitude...and I'm assuming they were balloons...maybe they were aliens looking for Roswell? :dunno:
Lots of UAV training down there. Don't know if the little buggers get that high, tho.

I used to see balloons up all the time....could usually see them around sunset when the ground level was dark and the sun would light them up. Sandia Labs, Los Alamos and the military do a lot of high altitude stuff with balloons in New Mexico. Sometimes they even alert air traffic. I think if they were at 50K they might not tell anyone....

Frank

Google does some balloon experiments for Project Loon. I know they've flown them over CA and NV, not sure about NM/CO.

I heard MIB was going to require 1090ES transponders on all alien craft.

I used to see balloons up all the time....could usually see them around sunset when the ground level was dark and the sun would light them up. Sandia Labs, Los Alamos and the military do a lot of high altitude stuff with balloons in New Mexico. Sometimes they even alert air traffic. I think if they were at 50K they might not tell anyone....

Frank

Gulfstreams, Lears and some other biz jets cruise at 51,000 all the time..:yes:

FF screen shot showing one target

Attachments

• IMG_0397.PNG
    IMG_0397.PNG
    6.1 MB · Views: 35
Google does have an Aviation Facility at Moriarty, Just outside of Albuquerque.

Back