High Altitude Airport training

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
It's that time again, and the Colorado Pilots Association is presenting its world famous (don't laugh, we've had students from outside the US - maybe 2 or 3 over the years)

MOUNTAIN FLYING - HIGH ELEVATION AIRPORT OPERATIONS GROUND SCHOOL

https://coloradopilots.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=612720&module_id=319185

June 22 and Aug 17. Ground and flight together (2 days) counts as a BFR. And the scenery is much more enjoyable!

This is NOT backcountry flying - it's how to deal with Colorado hills and paved airports in those hills. The New Mexico Pilots Assoc. has a similar course, with emphasis on the northern NM hills. But high altitude concepts are the same, just the topography differs.

Full day ground and you arrange with one of our qualified mountain CFI's. Route includes landing at Leadville to get your certificate at the highest paved airport in CONUS.

I would highly recommend this. I took this course way back in 1998, and had a great time (I lived in New Mexico at that time).

I’ve done high altitude power management course in Eagle, CO c.2008 and a similar course in Double Eagle, NM, in 2012. Invaluable training and experience!

Those are very reasonable prices too

paging @Sinistar and a remembering a discussion we had around this last fall...

If you do the flying portion, is the route fixed or does it have some flexibility? I'd love for someone to go into kase with me....

Is it capped at an amount of time?

If you do the flying portion, is the route fixed or does it have some flexibility? I'd love for someone to go into kase with me....

Is it capped at an amount of time?
KASE is part of the route, but landing is at the option of the pilot....are you sure you want to pay the landing fee?
The route is the northern part of Colorado - in the past the routes have included starting at one of the Front Range airports, over Corona Pass to Granby & Steamboat, down to Vail, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Glenwood Springs, backtrack to Leadville, and back to the Front Range. Sometimes south from Leadville to Salida then east to Canon City (waive at SuperMax - no, there's no TFR) and back up the Front Range to where ever you started. But everything is negotiable with the instructor. If you'd like to see the list of instructors, here's the list:
https://coloradopilots.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=612720&module_id=319186

I've either flown with, or personally know 7 of the instructors.

Back