Hi Ted!!!

Didn't miss here by much either! Busy guy!

upload_2019-12-14_12-43-13.png

And now I’m finishing up dinner (and drinks) in Missoula after shooting the ILS 12Z into MSO. I’ve never seen so much red on a terrain screen while flying an approach.

But yesterday I flew 30 dogs and 1 cat who would have otherwise been killed due to overpopulation and today I flew 4 large dogs for the ASPCA who had been rehabilitated after being very abused. They will now get loving homes.

4 ILSs so far. One to mins, two at night (including the one to mins), one with massive terrain on all sides and a strong required climb gradient that the MU2 cam do but it still needs Vy and full power to be comfortable (especially with a tailwind, which I had). Weather everywhere, cold, rain, snow...

Bed. I’m ready for bed.

Attachments

• 5A214168-57BB-4E8A-B71F-3BF09A1F4119.jpeg
    5A214168-57BB-4E8A-B71F-3BF09A1F4119.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 62
Where next after Missoula? I haven’t been there but my plane has. I’m sure it was a scenic approach if you got to see any of that red terrain through the windows.

My dog thinks you’re pretty cool, by the way.

Reactions: Ted
Where next after Missoula? I haven’t been there but my plane has. I’m sure it was a scenic approach if you got to see any of that red terrain through the windows.

My dog thinks you’re pretty cool, by the way.

Next stop is home in the morning.

I didn’t see anything until 800 AGL. I didn’t see much.

Ted, my dog loves what you do, and I am in awe of what you do. Thank you.

Jason
dscn0194tucrsm_zpsbbf68cc9.jpg

There's just something about a Golden's eyes that makes me love every one of them. Great dogs and Ted, as a foster for well..20+ years now of dogs and cats and a Pilot's and Paws pilot - love and respect what you do. Here's to many more years doing it.

There used to be guy that flew dogs from our SPCA, I think he ended up losing his class 3 medical. We're right next to the airport, I could throw a dog turd and hit the runway. :D

We also used to have people show up in a decked out RV with a bunch of kennels in it. They paid our small adoption fee and took the dogs up north to be sold at a much higher price. These people made a living doing this. When our manager figured out what they were doing he told the couple that they would have to start paying for the health reports, instead of us, a non-profit that survives on donations. Never saw them again. Those reports didn't cost much, and I've said it before, the adoption fee often doesn't cover the vet bill for each animal. They were obviously not in it for the good of the animals. I'm sure they just found another bunch of suckers to get cheap dogs from. They only wanted cute puppies that looked like they would grow to resemble purebred dogs, something that would sell quickly.

@Ted DuPuis , I know you do it for the right reasons, that little story was not meant to insinuate anything, just something I learned recently about the shelter I work at. I hate people, sometimes... make that more than sometimes.

I think there is also a fair amount of this sort of profit making on Pilots N Paws.

Welcome to MT, Ted.

Reactions: Ted
There used to be guy that flew dogs from our SPCA, I think he ended up losing his class 3 medical. We're right next to the airport, I could throw a dog turd and hit the runway. :D

We also used to have people show up in a decked out RV with a bunch of kennels in it. They paid our small adoption fee and took the dogs up north to be sold at a much higher price. These people made a living doing this. When our manager figured out what they were doing he told the couple that they would have to start paying for the health reports, instead of us, a non-profit that survives on donations. Never saw them again. Those reports didn't cost much, and I've said it before, the adoption fee often doesn't cover the vet bill for each animal. They were obviously not in it for the good of the animals. I'm sure they just found another bunch of suckers to get cheap dogs from. They only wanted cute puppies that looked like they would grow to resemble purebred dogs, something that would sell quickly.

@Ted DuPuis , I know you do it for the right reasons, that little story was not meant to insinuate anything, just something I learned recently about the shelter I work at. I hate people, sometimes... make that more than sometimes.

You aren't alone. Puppy mills and people who dump their pets just because they don't want the responsibility anymore are the worst - in my opinion.

You aren't alone. Puppy mills and people who dump their pets just because they don't want the responsibility anymore are the worst - in my opinion.

TL;DR... People suck.

I see it all the time. The absolute worst are the old dogs that haven't been kept healthy, we just got an old lab and rotty that are both heartworm positive a couple months ago. The owner moved up north and didn't want to take them. He knew their chance of adoption is almost zero but actually said he just thought they could live out their lives in our shelter.

The puppies, I don't worry about them too much, they go like hotcakes, people lining up to get them. They have a decent chance of landing in a good home with a responsible family. The old dogs with grey in their chins and around their noses, arthritis and other issues can stay for months or years.

We have what we call a senior pet of the week, they get posted on Facebook. Every now and then someone will come in and adopt one, but it is rare and sad.

We just adopted one out, he was an old lab mix, people drove 2 hours to come get him. He'd been there 20 months. Couple weeks ago they are gushing on Facebook about how great he is and love him to pieces. A few days ago we get a blistering review on Facebook saying we forced an old dog on these people and he has expensive kidney problems, we don't take care of our animals, called us pieces of ****. We employees and our volunteers have sat on the floor with that old dog more than most people spend with their kids, just petting him and talking to him. His bloodwrork was fine on his last vet visit, this is new. I'm kinda watching these people, I bet they drop him at another shelter.

Back