Hi from a newbie

Xscaliber

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Big Al
Hi guys Just thought I would drop by and introduce myself.
Based between Winter Haven FL. And the UK when in FL. Home fields are KGIF & KLAL
Still a rookie, passed my Private check ride almost a year ago (15th October 2012) lots still to learn and here on POA I've found a ton of good info.

I,m sure I will have a lot to ask you experienced guys about,so please excuse me if I appear dumb with some of the stuff I may ask.

Thanks
Al

Hey Big Al. Don't worry about doing stupid stuff, if you do something stupid (like try to fly a plane with barely any fuel) apparently you can just sue everyone on the planet.

Welcome. Please share with us some aspects of flying in the UK/continent. Some have experience over there but many don't. I flew briefly in Thailand but never in any other country.

Better to say stupid stuff on a message board than do stupid stuff in the air. Welcome to PoA.

Thanks guys...I sincerely hope any stupid stuff I do is not in the air !

Ok first question you may be able to assist me with - restricted area's no problem finding out info such as operational times, altitudes ect. on the paper charts, but what about when doing a flight plan on such as Foreflight, you can open the sectional map, but I'm struggling to find the info on the map.

Thanks guys...I sincerely hope any stupid stuff I do is not in the air !

Ok first question you may be able to assist me with - restricted area's no problem finding out info such as operational times, altitudes ect. on the paper charts, but what about when doing a flight plan on such as Foreflight, you can open the sectional map, but I'm struggling to find the info on the map.

Anywhere within the restricted area tap and hold momentarily with your finger and a box should pop up.

Anywhere within the restricted area tap and hold momentarily with your finger and a box should pop up.

Thank you Sir, much appreciated, my first dumb question answered within 10 minutes of asking, I think I'm going to like this board.:D

And I think I need to spend some study time on Foreflight, no good having tools in your bag if you can't operate them !:no:

Welcome.

I'm based out of KPIE just to the west of KLAL.

Hi There,
Yes I know KPIE, never visited yet, but on my to do list, next flight time for me will be Friday October 25th out of KLAL, which is a couple of days after I arrive back in FL from the UK, not flown since early August, so it will be nothing more than pounding around the pattern for an hour or so and then do some local pooting around to shake off the rust and get in the zone again before planning any x/c trips.

And I think I need to spend some study time on Foreflight, no good having tools in your bag if you can't operate them !:no:

The ForeFlight Pilot Guide is a good place to start. Http://ipadpilotnews.com from Sportys Pilot Shop frequently puts up useful tips and tricks.

And keep asking "How do I..." questions here. Many of us here use FF as well as the other major EFB's so someone should be able to answer the question.

Welcome to PoA!

Regarding FF and TFRs, just open FF and look at where Disney is; it has a permanent T:)mad2:)FR you can use for familiarity.

Regarding FF and TFRs, just open FF and look at where Disney is; it has a permanent T:)mad2:)FR you can use for familiarity.

Flying out of KLAL and KGIF I am familiar with the Disney TFR I often have to skirt around it, or make sure I am above the minimum altitude for overflying.
And there are quite a few restricted areas in FL to be aware of.

I'm slowly getting to grips with FF ops now, I did try a few of the others on 30 day free trials but opted for a Foreflight subscription. And up to now I think I made the right choice.

I did a lot of flying outta KLAL and loved it over there but it cost me a friggin fortune.

...that was cuz PilotMall.com's store was based right there on the field...ohhh, need one of those...need that...don't need that but its is pretty cool...GOTTA have one of those...

I did a lot of flying outta KLAL and loved it over there but it cost me a friggin fortune.

...that was cuz PilotMall.com's store was based right there on the field...ohhh, need one of those...need that...don't need that but its is pretty cool...GOTTA have one of those...
I know the feeling.......:rofl:

Seriously though, yes KLAL is a great airfield, the ATC guys are really helpful and friendly, even when there is a little bit of comms problems with some student pilots who are training at the airfield, especially those guys whose first language isn't English....never heard them get riled up (ok maybe roll their yes and have something to say off air under their breath :rofl:) but they always do their best to assist the pilots.

I knew PilotMall was nearby (I'm at KMLB ) but didn't know quite where... wish you hadn't told me, reading that is gonna cost _me_ a fortune now! Oh well, I guess misery loves company:D

Seriously though, yes KLAL is a great airfield, the ATC guys are really helpful and friendly, even when there is a little bit of comms problems with some student pilots who are training at the airfield, especially those guys whose first language isn't English....never heard them get riled up (ok maybe roll their yes and have something to say off air under their breath :rofl:) but they always do their best to assist the pilots.

KLAL has Tailwheels plus a few other schools who run a TON of student traffic through there and a lot of internationals. The controllers are just as interested in making sure the students run things properly and learn as the instructors are. Their tolerance level is higher than anywhere else in the country I have seen so far!

I knew PilotMall was nearby (I'm at KMLB ) but didn't know quite where... wish you hadn't told me, reading that is gonna cost _me_ a fortune now! Oh well, I guess misery loves company:D

Here ya go...Pilot Mall is located in the Sun N Fun complex. You can land at KLAL then let them know you want to taxi to Pilot Mall and they will taxi you right to the Sun N Fun gate which has an automatic sensor to open then you can park your plane right behind the building and walk over!

Last edited:
Welcome! Slightly off topic in response to Shawns post - I always think it's funny when I hear an international student speaking in what I'm not even sure is English, and the ATC comes back and they understood it all. Those guys are champs

Hi, I am new to this forum too. This looks like an engaging community. Looking forward to being a part. :)

Welcome Big Al. If you are ever down by Miami drop me a PM and we can have lunch. Good flying bud of mine is also from the UK.

Back